r/c vehicles

danieljardim

Anybody into R/C vehicles here?

Looking to buy something to play with my son. He is 5 years old, all the remote cars at the toy stores are fun to him but boring to me (too slow).

I was thinking about a buggy so I can play in the grass too.

Am i gonna be able to find something fast (electric) or gonna have to go to the gas car route.

Anybody?

vkamnev

I had quite a few back in the days. If this is your first - buy electric. It's much easier and funnier for beginners. Carbs need time and neighbors don't like them. Also, electric are, generally, faster but to get there is more expensive (check youtube, electric car was clocked at 200 km/h).

the larger you'll go - more fun your are going to have as larger models have more customization options. Have fun!

ajskillz13

Talk to Jon Kerr... he raced 'em.

I have a Nitro Traxxas Revo and a Nitro Traxxas 4-Tec. The Revo is an on/offroad 4x4 truck, jumps curbs with the best of em. Used to pulled my kids around on skateboards with it. Done a few mods, titanium push rods, new suspension, air filter. Can do around 45-50. And it comes with a 2 speed transmission and reverse. Hauls ass in the grass, dirt, anything. Have taken it to a dirt bike track and it really likes to catch some air.

Now the 4-Tec, it is only a road racer. And a spotless road with no rocks. BUT, it is very fun and scary fast. Can reach 75mph. Only a 2speed tranny, no reverse. AWD.

I love both, but nitro is an EXPENSIVE hobby. With the price of the cars themselves, mods, and repairs... I've probably dropped a good 3K.

I've also had hot bodies, tamiya, and losi. But Traxxas won my heart. They are so user-friendly. Swapping out clutch, changing brake pads... so much easier. And you can find parts everywhere.

Fun fun fun though.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

Traxxas Stampede with battery and charger runs around $200, parts are readily available. Be warned these things are very fun and you will jump them and break them, but that's the hobby fixing them back up.

I agree about the gas powered, they are really cool, but break easier (engine problems), and are noisy as hell (cool, but can bother others).

Attachments

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

UselessPickles

+1 for short course trucks. They're a lot of fun. The 2wd Traxxas Slash is a fun and very sturdy truck. The entry level version of this truck (brushed motor) would probably actually be a better option for a young kid to learn on. It will be much more forgiving on the throttle than a brushless 4x4. It's also a very popular truck for racing, even in completely stock form.

Get a truck with a 2.4GHz radio. No more worrying about whether someone else is using your same radio frequency.

If your budget and skills can handle it, look into a 4x4 with a brushless motor and use lithium polymer (lipo) batteries. Lots of power = lots of fun = lots of opportunity for broken parts.

Don't get caught up in thinking you need something super fast. Realistically, 30-35mph is plenty fast. Much too fast for a small child learning to drive R/C. Above that, these off-road trucks become increasingly difficult to control, and more likely to break multiple parts when crashed. My truck is actually unstable above 40-45mph due to lift created by the body. It just flips over at those speeds. On most 1/10 scale race tracks, you'll never get above ~30mph anyway.

Unless you get something quite big and powerful (like the traxxas E-Revo), don't get your hopes up for running in the grass, unless it is very thin/low grass. Thicker/taller grass will slow you down a lot and overheat the motor. That said, a short-course truck will be able to handle more "off road" stuff than a buggy.

Your best bet for a fun place to drive is to find a local off-road R/C track. Driving an R/C car is much more entertaining (to me, at least) when you have a well-defined track to challenge your skills. My local track only charges $2/hour or $5/day for practice on non-race days: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L_-bNm2Wrs]Traxxas Slash 4x4 - First time at the track - YouTube[/ame]

Also be prepared to learn all about proper maintenance on R/C cars. They are miniature vehicles with wear items, pivot points/bearings that need varying amounts of maintenance depending on how rough you are on it (how dirty you get it, etc.), and screws/bolts that can work loose over time. You will break parts. You will be tempted with blingy anodized aluminum upgrade parts, but you need to realize that some parts should remain plastic so that they will break in a crash instead of something else that is more expensive or more difficult to replace. The initial purchase price of your R/C car is just the beginning. Be prepared to keep spending money if you want to keep driving it :)

JonKerr

Elite Member

danieljardim

Thank all you guys.

Phew, lots of information.

I don't plan to turn this into a money pit hobby. (too many bills to pay at this time) but if I can get a starter truck that I can beat up and down on the grass and driveway and make my son have a blast will be awesome. It doesn't have to go 50 mph but I can't take the Toys r us 5 mph battery cars.

I remember back in the days (in brazil) they had 3 remote control cars there were very expensive, very popular and kind of fast comparing to toy cars nowadays.

roundhouse

traxxas short course truck. i still have my brushed 2 wheel drive and i got a brushless 4X4 also bought a couple of cheap knock off chassis from ebay and built a truggy and a buggy

look on "craig's list" for lightly used short course trucks. good starters. traxxas have everything you need, are tough and parts are readily available.

danieljardim

looking online.

first noob question. what is a brushed and brushless motor?

what is a good size scale?

1/10 1/16 1/18

Last edited:

danieljardim

ohkno!!!! now I want one of those.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfaPkfuYPFI&feature=related]Rc bike world 2010 - qualification serie 1 nitro - RACG - YouTube[/ame]

bigddy263

1/16 summit is the one ive been looking at, (for my kid...ahem). 1/16th scale, fast, 4wd, and should be able to handle some grass.

Attachments

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

UselessPickles

found this website with some really affordable stuff. I don't know if they are good or not. what you guys think and what should I get.
Don't buy any of those. They don't even specify a brand name. Good luck finding replacement parts for them (locally or online)!

Find a local hobby shop (or a couple), go visit them, and see how many parts they carry in stock for various brands. When something breaks, you want to be able to get replacement parts. Also, when you just need a couple small parts, it's rarely cheaper to buy online due to shipping costs. Even if it is a few bucks more at the local shop, you get your new part today instead of waiting 3-5+ business days.

I bet you'll find that Traxxas parts are very easy to find locally. They are most popular for people that just want to have fun with R/C cars, while some other brands are more focused on racing. That means that Traxxas vehicles are often more durable than some other brands, because they're not focused on making the lightest/fastest racer at the expense of durability.

As for the scale size to go with, I would recommend 1/10. Any smaller than that, and you'll probably be disappointed at how easily the car gets stuck on terrain that you want to drive on. Also, smaller vehicles are more twitchy and require quicker reaction time. This is due to the fact that while you can scale down the size of a vehicle, you can't scale down the effects of gravity. Gravity not only affects how the car flies through the air, but also how it interacts with the ground (traction, suspension, steering, etc). The result is that a small vehicle looks like a scaled-down vehicle in fast-forward, which is what gives it the toy-like appearance in its behavior, and requires lightning-fast reflexes to correct problems before they turn into a crash.