Quiet helmet?

BluePill

I am looking for a reasonably-priced (under $200) helmet that is quiet on an FZ6R. I have tried HJC CL15, CL16, CL17 and they are all quite noisy. With both the stock and a Puig Touring windshield I still get a lot of air noise.

BzB

gonna be hard to find a relatively quiet helmet in that price range. my shoei gt air is quieter than my hjc but not very significant. i still wear ear plugs to dull the wind noise. even with the plugs i can hear other road sounds just fine, but they definitely make a difference and save my hearing.

in short, you're probably better off just getting ear plugs if you're looking for quiet.

BluePill

Yeah, I do wear earplugs, but it is still quite loud. I am 6'2" so wind buffeting is fairly bad, even with the taller windshield.

Superzoom

Just a thought--I've always wondered if using a helmet chin curtain would cut down on the noise from turbulent air. I know that holding my hand where a chin curtain would go does in fact lower the noise considerably.

Might help in cooler weather. Would probably make fogging worse in warm or wet weather, unless you have a pinlock visor.

Chris12

BzB

Just a thought--I've always wondered if using a helmet chin curtain would cut down on the noise from turbulent air. I know that holding my hand where a chin curtain would go does in fact lower the noise considerably.

Might help in cooler weather. Would probably make fogging worse in warm or wet weather, unless you have a pinlock visor.

chin curtain absolutely helps cut down wind noise. i remove my chin curtain during the summer for better ventilation, but when it got cooler i put it back in to block the cool air. immediately noticed a difference in reduced wind noise. it does make the shield more prone to fogging, but the pinlock and breath guard insert helps a lot.

Chris12

chin curtain absolutely helps cut down wind noise. i remove my chin curtain during the summer for better ventilation, but when it got cooler i put it back in to block the cool air. immediately noticed a difference in reduced wind noise. it does make the shield more prone to fogging, but the pinlock and breath guard insert helps a lot.
I installed a pinlock 70 on my stock visor last week, and wow!

In the past I nearly always had to have my visor cracked open to help with fogging. It was a huge hassle and made my cold early morning commute uncomfortable.

Since installing the pinlock the fogging has been completely eliminated. I can even ride with all the vents on my helmet closed and have zero fogging issues.

The pinlock certainly improved my riding experience. If anyone doesn't have one, consider it.

Chris12

I'll give you a quick run-down of what I know of anti-fog inserts.

I know of three brands (though there could certainly be more that I'm not aware of)- Pinlock, Fog City (pro-shield) and ProGrip. Two of the brands require "pins" to attach to the visor (Pinlock, Fog City) the other (ProGrip) does not.
**Edit - Fog City makes a non-pinned version like proGrip which sticks on.

The benefit of the pinned anti-fog visor inserts is they can be removed and reinstalled (though it isn't recommended), and they have a very long life due to their ability to be tightened if needed. The downside is that they are helmet make/model shield specific and require pins which are drilled through the shield.

The benefit of stick on visor inserts (the brand I know of is ProGrip. ** - fog city makes a stick-on too) is that pins aren't required. You simply buy a universal kit and stick it on your visor (they may make visor specific models too, I haven't looked). The downside is that they have a life that is limited by their adhesion. One review I read said that it worked perfectly for 8 months, but then failed.
**Edit - User superzoom reported that the optical quality and durability of the "fog city" stick on is poor.

If your current visor is "pinlock ready" locating and installing the correct insert is fairly simple. Just Google the make and model of your helmet, and either the word "pinlock" or "fog city" and you're all set. Pinlock has an installation video on YouTube which is very straightforward.

If your current visor isn't pinlock ready and would like an anti-fog insert I believe that you have 4 options:

1. Buy a pinlock ready visor and install a pinned insert on it, or possibly better yet - by a visor with a pre-installed pinlock/pinned visor.

2. Buy a ProGrip (or similar) stick on insert.

3. Buy a universal pinlock/fog city DIY install kit which comes with a template, drill bit, anti fog insert and pins.

4. Buy a pinlock/fog city insert thats specifically made for your non-pinlock ready visor, a set of 3 component pinlock pins (or similar), and a 5mm drill bit. (This was the best/cheapest option for me. It did require time with masking tape and a ruler to lay out the two drill holes.)

Depending on the specifics this could cost as little as $20 or up to $100+. Irregardless, I feel that it's definitely money well spent. Being "fog free" has really improved my riding experience and safety. It (obviously) improved visibility, but also removed a huge distraction.

I realize that I haven't actually provided any links, but I hope this serves as a suitable explanation. Please feel free to ask questions or critique anything I've said.

-Chris

Last edited:

Superzoom

Since we've gone full hijack on this thread, I also highly recommend getting a pinlock visor insert for your helmet. I've had a bunch of downright dangerous situations in the past due to visor fogging without one. An anti-fog insert does an amazing job of reducing fogging to pretty much zero.

Just a caution about the Fog City inserts.... There is an adhesive version which doesn't require pins. It is sticky around the edges and you just stick it on to any visor. I had one for a year and it did its job, but it is optically very poor, and was made of really soft plastic that got really scratched up. It's also a little tricky to install. The product works, but a proper pinlock insert works much better and installs much more positively and securely.