Probably not riding my supersport again

kromp

A month or two ago I posted about how I was thinking about picking up an FZ6R as a more street-friendly bike to go along with my Honda CBR1000RR. I went on ahead and bought a brand new 2012 FZ6R from the local dealership, and I've put about 950 miles on it since then.

Basically, I think I'm just going to sell the CBR1000. I don't see myself ever riding it again. Maybe it's just the fact that I'm 6'3", but going back to that bike just makes me feel hunched over like a mutant with my arms just too close together on the handlebars. Not only is the FZ6R more comfortable to sit on, the power delivery on it is more appropriate to the roads around here, the controls are smoother to operate, and the bike's easier to work on with less hassle with the fairing.

I haven't had any issues with the power output; I feel like I have to put a little more throttle into it when I've got my girlfriend on the back, but that's not really a big deal. And in terms of maneuverability, the CBR might be a more appropriate fit when you're doing 150 or if you're a tiny Italian dude, but I'm finding that I *feel* much more nimble on the FZ6R.

I'm not saying the FZ6R is necessarily my ideal bike, and at some point I might consider an FZ1 (although I'd be happier if they put out an FZ1R), but right now I don't think I'm ever going back to a supersport.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

kromp

Yamaha does make a full fairing kit for the FZ1, sort of a DIY FZ1R.
That's good to know, but I'm definitely going to marinate with the FZ6R for at least a couple of years. I like the gas mileage and I'm not unhappy with the power or suspension.

yfz6r

Right now, if you like full-faired sport touring bikes, the ninja 1000 is the way to go. Yamaha hasn't updated anything but the ECU mapping on the fz1 since 2006. Ninja 1000 is the better bike at this point.
I really hope yamaha updates the fz1 soon.
Plus the ninja comes full faired and the fz1 lowers are several hundred $$$ and look added.

But for now, enjoy the new bike! Not many decent mods for power but plenty of handling mods for the fz6r

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

That's good to know, but I'm definitely going to marinate with the FZ6R for at least a couple of years. I like the gas mileage and I'm not unhappy with the power or suspension.
If you like the gas mileage of the FZ6R, you will hate the gas mileage of the FZ1. My 2000 Honda Civic with the 1.6L averaged better mileage on my commute. Of course, I seem to be unable to short-shift my FZ1 and sit on 100km/h when I ride it.

kromp

Decent gas mileage is one of very few ways that I can justify riding the bike all over the place!

arse

ill trade you a raven 11 fz6r for your cbr, then you can have two!

haha

BKP

Congratulations on the epiphany... Exactly how I felt after a few weeks on the 6R. It doesn't need heavy modding (my mods are purely comfort and convenience), or you wouldn't be so taken with the bike in the first place...

Enjoy it... ride safe...