Please forgive me. Thinking about selling the fz6r and getting a Street Triple

oldtouring b

Heck yes!!

One of the best things about our obsession is as our ability increases we can upgrand to more powerful models. If the suspension and engine performance improves, the difference is amazing. Go for it and never look back..

jocampo

Thank you all!

Wow!

Lot of different but nice and useful opinions. This is one of the reason why I love this forum. I won't mention name, but it is not the same on other Triumph or even Ducati forums out there, especially when you are trying to compare bikes prior a final purchase.

Having said that, the deal is a "almost" closed. Just visited 2nd Triumph dealer here in Houston which also sells Ducati Monsters 696. But before expanding on that, let me give you guys some details about my riding style and preferences.

-I always ride alone
-My bike is for extremely short commute (5 miles) :thumbup:
-I won't say I hate, but I dislike super sport bikes
-While I like cruisers, not thinking about getting one at this time in my life
-Love upright positions
-Have a sport car, the bike helps me save gas

Those cases when I'm not commuting to work, I visiting local B&N close to home or a short 1hr commute to downtown, again ... alone as well ...

The fz6r is a fantastic bike but it growth too fast on me. And while I still love the upright position kind of feel hungry for more power without the need for a liter bike.

I did not ride any of the bikes today, but I found both really comfortable, especially the Street Triple.

The Monster 696 is really comfortable. Upright position but a bit more forward than the Yamaha and Triumph. However, not so sure how my back and wrist will feel after a 1hr ride, something I barely do anyway. But for 10 miles daily commute should not be a problem. Another thing I noticed from the Monster is that is really, really light! It feels like a toy bike, without being one. It should be a blast on the curves.

The Street Triple is comfortable enough to not kill my back. Nice upright position. Comfortable handle bars. Good with gas and not a liter bike (not wanting that now) It is a bit higher than the fz6r and Ducati, but I'm 5'10, so not big deal either. It feels and looks solid! Without talking bad about the fz6r, it actually feels and looks like a better bike. Good finish. Hate the new lamps though! The "cockpit" is also more complete. Last but not least, the Triumph is liquid cooled, like the fz6r, like that!

So I think is a matter of a few weeks or days, and will have a new and different bike.

The scale is inclined to the Triumph side, more than the Ducati's ...

Last edited:

Spunky99

Excellent post....much appreciate your likes and dislikes and riding style.
I think water cooling is a very big plus and that kept me from looking at anything air cooled or non-EFI. When I was looking at the FZ6R there was a cute little Suzuki but it didn't have EFI and the Duc was air cooled...

You didn't really explain why you didn't want a liter bike but I sense you like a nice light toy bike to toss around the corners. My commute is 4.5 miles and the tires are just warmed up perfect when I get there and I want to go play.....LOL I think I know what you want and a Striple is the answer.

jocampo

Excellent post....much appreciate your likes and dislikes and riding style.
I think water cooling is a very big plus and that kept me from looking at anything air cooled or non-EFI. When I was looking at the FZ6R there was a cute little Suzuki but it didn't have EFI and the Duc was air cooled...

You didn't really explain why you didn't want a liter bike but I sense you like a nice light toy bike to toss around the corners. My commute is 4.5 miles and the tires are just warmed up perfect when I get there and I want to go play.....LOL I think I know what you want and a Striple is the answer.
Thanks for reply.

I don't want a liter bike because honestly, is too much power for what we can legally use.

Liter bikes are also higher in price (new) and while I can afford it, does not really justify the expenses, in my opinion.

Liter bikes also require higher insurance premiums, and if the insurance go up too much, the savings go down as well and then my bike becomes a luxury.

Spunky99

Thanks for reply.

I don't want a liter bike because honestly, is too much power for what we can legally use.

Liter bikes are also higher in price (new) and while I can afford it, does not really justify the expenses, in my opinion.

Liter bikes also require higher insurance premiums, and if the insurance go up too much, the savings go down as well and then my bike becomes a luxury.
Well.....2 up my 955i runs like it's only me and has so much torque and bottom end that I end up riding it like a cruiser most of the time. I find myself winding out a 600cc bike all the way and racing around like a squid. I respect the power of the liter bike and use what I need instead of WOT all the time on the 600.
I pay less insurance per year on a used bike and only have minimum coverage. I agree that on a new bike purchase cost and the cost with full coverage is a lot more for the bigger bike. The liter bike really doesn't use more gas either as I roll on the throttle and use what I need instead of racking the FZ6R past 11000 all the time.
And about what power we can legally use....LOL..a FZ6R has a power to weight ratio that will break all the laws almost as fast as a liter bike.... I think a Ninja 250 is the only bike that qualifies as a law abider....sorta....maybe

Also when I go for a group ride, 90% of the other riders are on 600 or 650cc bikes so I think you have the correct reasoning. I'm just an old fart with "The need for speed"......

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

jocampo

The Ducati are great bike but if you go with a twin 696 you might end up in square 1...
Sorry, what do you mean with that?

Frankly speaking, these are the reasons why I'm still thinking about the Ducati:

-Looking (really sexy and nice)
-Comfortable upright position
-Not a liter bike, smooth torque (in comparison)
-Light bike

If it wasn't comfortable, I would scratch it of the list.

:)

Sage

Go for the triumph ;)

I've ridden both the Speed Triple and the Street Triple, purely amazing. I'm going to try and test ride each again sometime soon since I want to move on to the Speed Triple, but just cant remember how the Street felt in comparison along with the 6R.

I love the powerband/torque
Comfort was great
Looks awesome
and if you take care of it, it will be as reliable as any japanese motorcycle :)

jocampo

This is weird!!!

I quoted insurance on Progressive (online) and Ducati's insurance is cheaper than Triumph's ... I thought was going to be the opposite. As a matter of fact, the sales guy (a kid) keep recommending me the Triumph, not only in terms of specs, but said insurance was going to be cheaper. It looks that's not the case.

Actually, is close, very close, to my fz6r.

:rolleyes:

jocampo

Well... the moment of truth has finally arrived ...

I am planning to take Friday off and I will buy my new bike that day. The dealer accepted to let me test the Ducati Monster 696 and the Triumph Street Triple.

I would like to check how each bike handles prior final purchase.

That may be the last day I ride my beloved fz6r ...

Sage

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll love either one of those bikes!

jocampo

Good luck man, I'm sure you'll love either one of those bikes!
Thanks!

Kind of mix emotions right now.

I know I scheduled this and really want the bike, but having some personal issues with my wife at this moment, so I feel kind of weird and materialistic doing this. It is so bad that past Monday I even thought on stop riding bikes for good.

But no, has nothing to do with me riding bikes, she's ok with that.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

bmw675

Well, I ordered my 2012 Triumph Street Triple yesterday. Phantom Black with the Arrow exhaust, quick shifter, seat cowl, annodized front brake reservoir, swingarm spools, and Shorty levers. They are having a promo for this month where they also throw in the fly screen, belly pan and radiator side covers for free. Should be here in three weeks, but I'll be at work so won't be able to pick it up till the following week. So excited! I'm turning my 6R into a two up touring bike for the wife and I.

:steve:
excellent choice, you will be one happy rider. :wav:

jocampo

Gonna miss you fz6r

Bought the Street Triple. Doing paperwork now at the dealer.

I did test ride the Monster 696 and Street Triple.

My detailed opinion tonight.

bmw675

Bought the Street Triple. Doing paperwork now at the dealer.

I did test ride the Monster 696 and Street Triple.

My detailed opinion tonight.
congrats to you too. :iconbeer:

anyone keeping tabs on how many people on here have went from a 6r to a triumph? atleast 8 that i can think of.

CrazyCawi

congrats to you too. :iconbeer:

anyone keeping tabs on how many people on here have went from a 6r to a triumph? atleast 8 that i can think of.
Id jump on the band wagon of another bike if I wasnt a broke dick at my new job :iconbeer:(2nd bike of course) But id prolly get me an 848 evo...who knows....a man can dream right....