Pant leg touching chain

cbzdel

So I have noticed my pant leg turning black ever since I started riding this bike, I thought that the chain was just slanging lube but I was wrong, my pant leg is actually touching the chain! I noticed that the FZ6 rearsets have a metal guard that goes up and covers the chain, and ours do not, I wonder if a swap would be possible??

Anyone else have this problem?

Reactions: JSP

O-turn

Partier
I just noticed mine getting blacked up yesterday....

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think I have this problem. I'm close to 2000 miles and have never noticed chain crud on my pants. :don'tknow:

cbzdel

I don't think I have this problem. I'm close to 2000 miles and have never noticed chain crud on my pants. :don'tknow:
it doesnt happen on the freeway because its so windy, but at slower speeds the wind pushes my pant leg directly into the chain :(

A

Andz

I think you need to change the type of pants you ride in. If the chain grabs your pants things will get nasty very quickly.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
it doesnt happen on the freeway because its so windy, but at slower speeds the wind pushes my pant leg directly into the chain :(
They make boot straps that are elastic and clip to the bottom of pant legs to keep them from riding up. I wonder if something like that would help. If they stay tight around the boots, maybe they wouldn't touch the chain. :confused:

cbzdel

Damn You Levis Boot Cut Jeans :ban:

fz6rwolf

Haven't had this at all. Only thing I have to do is my work shoes (tennis shoes) I have to tuck my shoestrings in or could get hung up in the shifter.

B

blitzcraig

i read a post here a while back about a guy who came to a stop at a light and while putting his left leg down, got his pants leg stuck somewhere down there and went down. lol and i just bought a pair of bootcut jeans an hour ago. they are pretty baggy down there. clearly they are not designed in the street bike spirit.

A

Andyjo

I commute to work via backroads + highway, in dress pants.... never seen any sort of chain grime on them.. used to use PJ Black goopy stuff, just switched to chain wax -- still nothing!
Make sure you really clean up the chain after you lube it, you only want to get lube on the orings.. doesn't really do anything elsewhere :rolleyes:

cbzdel

the problem with teh FZ6R is that there is no guard between the shifter and the chain, there is about 3" or so of exposed chain..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
i read a post here a while back about a guy who came to a stop at a light and while putting his left leg down, got his pants leg stuck somewhere down there and went down. lol and i just bought a pair of bootcut jeans an hour ago. they are pretty baggy down there. clearly they are not designed in the street bike spirit.
I nearly had this happen! :eek:

I had to run to work real quick and was wearing baggy pants. I had rolled the pant legs up so they wouldn't drag when I walked around at work. Went to leave and forgot they were rolled up. Put my foot down at a stop, but when I started going, the cuff got caught on the feelers and I nearly lost it. :squid:

Learned my lesson...always wear appropriate clothing while riding. No matter how short the trip!

F

FZ1inNH

Ummmm.... overpants? They velcro tightly around the motorcycle riding boot? ;)

My wife and I are ATGATT and she wears FirstGear HT Air Overpants. There is nothing loose that will get dragged in by her chain. BUT, now that you've made me aware of it, I might do something about it just in case. I'll have to investigate...

Ok... here's the close up of the problem area.... why did they cut the chain guard short? Because of the shift linkage?

Attachments

MNDZA

I hope I don't jinx myself, but I haven't had any issues like this and I always wear boot cut jeans. They sometimes get hooked to the pegs if I'm walking it, but never near the chain. I should be getting some kevlar reinforced jeans with armor in a couple days though so no worries.

gallagher

I'm having this same issue with my pants rubbing against the chain and getting lube on them... I ruined 2 pairs of pants so far. Anyone have any other ideas that solve this issue? I normally wear semi-loose khaki pants so it's really noticeable when you get black lube on them.

Spunky99

Use Dupont teflon dry lube.

ry-mac75

You must be one long legged SOB or something. I've never had this problem even on longer treks. Are you riding through gunk or oiling up the chain excessively before a ride? Are you certain it's the chain?

I'll be quite interested to hear the results.

bmw675

i just live with it. happens all the time, especially at slower speeds. i can actually feel the chain pulling on my pants once in a while. matter of fact, it tore the hem off one pair.

Back To Reality

Looking at mine, the only way I can see my pants touching the chain is if bell-bottoms came back into style.

This might help; living in an urban area, there are a fair number of professionals who commute via pedal bike. It may look goofy, but it seems most of them tuck the left pant-leg somehow. I've seen custom velcro wraps, tape, or some of them tuck it into their sock.

I bet it looks less silly than falling down, getting goo on you, or getting pantsed.