One Freaky Ride - Almost lost it 2x!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member
Last edited:

danieljardim

Rode my bike to work yesterday. The ride home was good, but the ride home was freaky! Good think I went to the bathroom before I left work or I would be washing my bike again! :eek:

For those that live in or know MN, I took HWY 494 to 55 all the way to maple lake. Well sometime during the day they started grating and tearing up the road in Rockford. Not in the way that part is good and part is torn up. NOPE the WHOLE road was torn up and I was stuck, no way around it and no other way to get home at this point. So I was driving over the ground up road (with those lines going the same direction you are going), I was going about 20 miles an hour with a line of cars behind me and the bike constantly feeling like I was on ice with the front and rear ends wanting to slide out on me in different directions. For that matter, almost did a few times. This was only about 1/2 -1 mile but it felt like forever.

Then about 15 miles up 55 between Buffalo and Maple Lake I was at the front of the line cruising at 65 and it was beginning to get pretty dark because of overcast and time of day. All of a sudden I see a HUGE Goose and a trail of Gosslings crossing the road into my path from the opposite lane. I didnt want to try and swerve for fear that they would "run" into my path from fear, and I didnt want to swerve behind them into the oncoming lane because the gosslings were still heavily in that lane. I had enough room behind me so I hit the brakes and almost sh!t myself because I think I locked up both my front and rear brakes :wreck: because I only had maybe 20 feet to the geese. I felt soo bad because mother raised her wings and started honking and quickly turned around and they ran out of the road the other way (made it safely thank god!!!). But here I am my tail end is sliding out to the right, my front end felt like it was bouncing massively atleast 3-4 times, I lose contact between butt and seat.. THANK GOD for remembering everything I have read and learned in MSF. I stayed on the rear brake riding it out and had to let go and reapply the front brake. In that instant with the jerking that was going on with the bike I thought FOR SURE I am going for a flight lesson off of the bike and I fully believe my blood pressure and heart rate were at extreme exercise levels this time! Thankfully I didnt lose the bike or go off managing to just barely save it. :eek:
Scary shit. :wreck: Good job :thumbup:

Tmak73

I have driven on a road where its grated like that and I know what ya mean. It was pretty tough to keep control of the bike because the tires are being pulled all over the place. Glad you made it home safe.

xJoshuaDrakex

Glad you didn't put the bike down. Yeah, grooved pavement sucks. I will never try and ride over that stuff again.

arse

glad to know you are alright, just be glad you had a successful first panic high speed stop. will be in your muscle memory now.

Chucker

Glad you made it home OK.

Something my dad taught me was to never put myself in a dangerous situation to save an animal. I would have made sure I didn't hit mother goose and tried to go between a couple of goslings. If you hit one, it would be sad, but better than dumping your bike. Hitting the mother might have been a problem, but I think you'd have been OK hitting a gosling. I hit a cat once on my bike and it wasn't so bad, for me. There are a lot of people killed or seriously injured, not to mention the vehicle and property damage, due to trying to avoid an animal. If you were laying in the ditch with your twisted up bike, I doubt you'd have been too worried about the geese.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

CDN6R

Glad you made it home OK.

Something my dad taught me was to never put myself in a dangerous situation to save an animal. I would have made sure I didn't hit mother goose and tried to go between a couple of goslings. If you hit one, it would be sad, but better than dumping your bike. Hitting the mother might have been a problem, but I think you'd have been OK hitting a gosling. I hit a cat once on my bike and it wasn't so bad, for me. There are a lot of people killed or seriously injured, not to mention the vehicle and property damage, due to trying to avoid an animal. If you were laying in the ditch with your twisted up bike, I doubt you'd have been too worried about the geese.
As much as I like our 4 legged friends ( I have pets myself) I do realize that the above statement does make alot of sense. Is busting yourself and your bike up worth a animal.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member