OMFG oil filter HELL!!!!!!!

buzzbomb

Elite Member

TssTssTss

factory oil filter came off with surprising ease using a 65/67mm 'oil filter wrench' from NAPA or some such place... torqued the replacement filter, per Yamaha specs, to 12 ft-lbs.

Went to change the oil today and that very same filter wrench refuses to keep hold of the GD filter - as I turn it, it rises up on the filter itself, basically spinning uselessly...

looks like I am going to get to experience the whole 'screwdriver-filter-removal' experience.

BKP

factory oil filter came off with surprising ease using a 65/67mm 'oil filter wrench' from NAPA or some such place... torqued the replacement filter, per Yamaha specs, to 12 ft-lbs.

Went to change the oil today and that very same filter wrench refuses to keep hold of the GD filter - as I turn it, it rises up on the filter itself, basically spinning uselessly...

looks like I am going to get to experience the whole 'screwdriver-filter-removal' experience.
K&N 204. Never have that problem again...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

SurfJunkie

What is an oil filter????? haha j/k my experiances where not that bad specialy after replacing original that did not he the nut on top.
My factory filter came off no problem.

I still use Yamaha filters. Nothing a little sand paper or filter wrench cant take care of.

Popeyeman69

My filter wrench kept slipping due to the fact it was just a bit too big. Took the wrench to my vise and dimpled the flats with a 1/4" drive extension. I opened the vise to the size of the flats and hit the extension with a small hammer and reduced the size of the filter wrench just enough that I had to tap it onto the filter. Came right off, using about 60ftlbs of torque. o_O I agree that Yamaha must have a filter person that doesn't know how toread torque tables!

BKP

K&N is so expensive.
It's all relative. Extra $2-$3 every 3000 miles is worth it for the nut alone. The fact that K&N makes a great filter is gravy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Y

yellowfz

Torque specs on the filter are crazy, I have tractor that does more PSI than the bike and it states "hand tighten filter".
I just hand tightened mine this last time and nothing leaking yet, will see when it is time to change oil if it is a toughie this time.
Can't see the FZ6R having insane oil pressure.