OMFG oil filter HELL!!!!!!!

Wooster

Welcome to the club. It took me a screwdriver, channel locks, a 6 pack of beer, and 1/4 of a pack of smokes before I got my first one off.

FZ6RNY

I am new to the forum. I have a 2011 Raven. Used hammer, screwdriver and pliers first time getting it off. Then the second time could get it off with oil filter wrench. Have since gotten the KN filter.

S

SkyOrDie

Do you know where these bikes are built? Have you ever wondered what sumo wrestlers do in the off season (besides eat)? I think you have the answer.

I popped the virgin oil filter off with an end cap tool; specifically, a KD Tools 3860. It has 14 sides and 65 and 67mm sections. I already had it for my wife's Subaru (why would they put an oil filter in a hole between the exhaust manifolds?). For the FZ6R you have to make sure it seats down on the 65mm section. It popped right off without damaging the filter. Of course, I had my long torque wrench on it and still had to grunt. If you need a rubber grip, you've got the wrong size filter wrench.

-Stan

FazerWest

Do you know where these bikes are built? Have you ever wondered what sumo wrestlers do in the off season (besides eat)? I think you have the answer.

I popped the virgin oil filter off with an end cap tool; specifically, a KD Tools 3860. It has 14 sides and 65 and 67mm sections. I already had it for my wife's Subaru (why would they put an oil filter in a hole between the exhaust manifolds?). For the FZ6R you have to make sure it seats down on the 65mm section. It popped right off without damaging the filter. Of course, I had my long torque wrench on it and still had to grunt. If you need a rubber grip, you've got the wrong size filter wrench.

-Stan
Ya we used a torque wrench with an extention, this was the SMALLEST filter we could find, i dont think they come any smaller, and it just wouldnt grip it was ridiculous

this is the one we used
Walmart.com: Imperial Oil Filter Wrench: Automotive

but oh well lol we all get to live and learn, I am going to film the oil change next time for proof that its easier the second time around!!!

CtrlAltDl

I think Yamaha puts the first filter on with glue, or over-tightens it just to make sure it's not going to leak on the showroom floor. After the first filter it should be pretty easy with a wrench or strap.

FYI, a oil filter should ONLY BE PUT ON BY HAND and not with a wrench of any kind! Lube the threads and gasket with fresh oil and then put it on by hand.

I know we are only talking about taking them off, but I wanted to make for those folks that haven't done it, or at least correctly, were aware of that.

BKP

I think Yamaha puts the first filter on with glue, or over-tightens it just to make sure it's not going to leak on the showroom floor. After the first filter it should be pretty easy with a wrench or strap.

FYI, a oil filter should ONLY BE PUT ON BY HAND and not with a wrench of any kind! Lube the threads and gasket with fresh oil and then put it on by hand.

I know we are only talking about taking them off, but I wanted to make for those folks that haven't done it, or at least correctly, were aware of that.
Are you sure about that? The Yamaha Owner's Manual specifies 12ft-lbs. of torque for the oil filter -- that's seriously tighter than by hand...

Andy

Are you sure about that? The Yamaha Owner's Manual specifies 12ft-lbs. of torque for the oil filter -- that's seriously tighter than by hand...
I torqued mine because I have several snap on torque wrenches. Depending on your grip it wouldnt be hard to get 12 ft lbs. I doubt anyones hand in calibrated. With the oil filter that close to the rear tire I'm not taking any chances. I'm curiuos to see how this one comes off.

BKP

I torqued mine because I have several snap on torque wrenches. Depending on your grip it wouldnt be hard to get 12 ft lbs. I doubt anyones hand in calibrated. With the oil filter that close to the rear tire I'm not taking any chances. I'm curiuos to see how this one comes off.
I use K&N filters. They're smart enough to have a 17mm nut welded onto to the top of the filter, so removing and installing is cake... Also makes it easier for the torque wrench, so I use it.

I agree about the grip, however, getting your hand inside there is no easy task, much less getting the leverage to apply enough hand torque to feel comfortable it's tight enough...

S

SkyOrDie

Ya we used a torque wrench with an extention, this was the SMALLEST filter we could find, i dont think they come any smaller, and it just wouldnt grip it was ridiculous

this is the one we used
Walmart.com: Imperial Oil Filter Wrench: Automotive

but oh well lol we all get to live and learn, I am going to film the oil change next time for proof that its easier the second time around!!!
It's the same thing- a 65/67mm. It's just too easy to be mistakenly on the 67mm section. It seems reasonably snug and will catch the edges of the flutes making you think it's right. It takes an extra wiggle and push to force it to the 65mm section. There is no way you could get the rubber gripper stuff between the filter and the 65mm section of the wrench.

-Stan

SpawnXX

Premium Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

tzrox

I bought a very cheap oil filter cap wrench from autozone. The smallest they had was a 2.5", and I believe our filters are 2 1/4 inch. Was only a few bucks i believe. It was slipping so I just put a sheet of printer paper folded around the filter first, then the wrench on top of that and got it off without problems.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member
Last edited:

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member