OMFG oil filter HELL!!!!!!!

FazerWest

OMFG oil filter HELL!!!!!!! (video added)

OK I am uploading the video of what the filter looks like now tomorrow and will add it to this post but WTF! why WHY does yamaha dealerships put the filter on soooo darn tight!!!! I honestly think they do that so you cant get it off yourself and you HAVE to bring it in to them, there is no other reason for it! HAND TIGHTEN PEOPLE ugh! oil change took 3 hours!!! my hubby is built like freaking superman and for one, there isnt enough room to even get proper grip on the thing, we used a jar opener, gardening gloves, and no budge sooooo we went to walmart, got the oil filter wrench, put it on thinking problem solved, patrick ratchets it, and we hear a "click" the darn wrench kept slipping!!! AAAAAAAAW! soooooo after trying the wrench for 5 minutes and it not gripping the filter AT ALL we shuved the jar opener inside the wrench, hammered the wrench onto the filter and vwalla!!!!!! it came off, FINALLY, except now we couldnt get the wrench off the filter, /facepalm

so patrick beat the crap out of the filter to dent it up enough to get the wrench off lmao, WORST oil change EVER!!!!!!!!! but all is good, oh and thanks yamaha for putting the filter in the WORST possible place on the bike...brilliant....really.

p.s. i love my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjFNvGe0Y4c&feature=plcp"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjFNvGe0Y4c&feature=plcp[/ame]

Last edited:

BKP

K&N 204 replacement filters...

17mm nut on top... no muss no fuss...

Deathdiesel

LMAO i delt with literally the exact same issue today. I used a pair of channel locks after trying to use the flat tip method, no bueno, but the channel locks did work after tearing it up a bit.

Put a K&N filter with a bolt on the back this time. Much easier.

FazerWest

LMAO i delt with literally the exact same issue today. I used a pair of channel locks after trying to use the flat tip method, no bueno, but the channel locks did work after tearing it up a bit.

Put a K&N filter with a bolt on the back this time. Much easier.
HAHA!!!!!! omg cant wait for you to see my video! patrick did the same thing, FLIPPED the filter off in the video lol!!!!

Deathdiesel

Lol guess its a guys way of saying screw that thing, I have now defeated it and triumph now runs in my veins!

Last edited:

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Interesting... I had the autozone special, which would auto tighten.. that did the job untill i realized that I coudln't properly tighten the thing cuz the wrench was a one way tool. Broke down and bought the 10$ tool from a local dealer and never had a problem. Shit im probably jinxing myself now .

CtrlAltDl

old school. hammer a screwdriver through that bitch and turn.
I had to do the same thing.

I think they cinch them down with a 6 foot breaker bar!

Last edited:

Chucker

I picked up a cap that fits over the end of the filter and takes a 3/8" socket wrench. I got it from the Yamaha dealer and it works like a charm.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

FazerWest

I picked up a cap that fits over the end of the filter and takes a 3/8" socket wrench. I got it from the Yamaha dealer and it works like a charm.
Ya that's an oil filter wrench and it wouldn't grip to the filter it kept slipping until we put the jar opener inside the wrench u will see it in the video in the afternoon need to upload it

FZ6R_Mike

I didn't think the fz6r oil filter was that bad. Try changing the ninja 250r. I changed my girls like a month ago and that oil filter was a bitch to get off once I found where it was. I had to use a breaker bar just to loosen the nut

BKP

I used this:

STOCKTON TOOL COMPANY Parts & Accessories - Universal Oil Filter Wrench - Cycle Gear

The reviews on it suck, however, they gave me a tip at Cycle Gear to remove the red rubber grips, and just let the metal dig into the filter, while pushing the ratchet against the top of the wrench, and turning. Worked like they said.

Worth the $10 to get that first filter off, and not spending hours. Now using the K&N filters... No more oil wrenches...

Anyone want it? If you live in the Atlanta area, and want to come get it, it's yours...

SpawnXX

Premium Member
Last edited:

Andezel

Agreed, I thought I could do a quick oil change last night and ride today. I actually broke my oil filter wrench trying to get the filter loose. Gonna have to mess with it this weekend. What a pain.

CDN6R

I used to do my own oil + filter changes myself,,,but that was on older v/8 cars that had lots of room from underneath. My 93 Camry witha v/6 was a pain to do,,so I now buy my own oil/filter and get my mechanic to do it for an extra $7.00. It saves me alot of hassle. Now on my 6R I did my own oil change and it was no trouble at all.