New member welcome thread

Heineken

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all - my name is Amy, I've been riding since 2002, and the FZ6r (Yamaha Blue) is my 3rd bike. I got it in June 09 thinking I wanted something a little more upright (last bike was Suzuki SV650s), something that would take me on more comfortable longer road trips. Last summer had a ton of rain, so I didn't go too far, but I'm hoping to get more time on two wheels this upcoming season. I haven't been too impressed with the comfort of this bike - little afraid the sizing is just too small for me (being a taller person), and really hoping that another season out on it will break in the seat and make it more comfy so I can go on those longer trips that my husband wants to take. Right now I'm starting to really miss being on a bike - the winter-safe AWD SUV just isn't the same.
Welcome! I am not sure if you have done it yet, but you can raise the seat to a higher position. That may make it more comfortable for you.

Tinkerbellskpr

Hi everyone-
I am originally from central Illinois but moved out here to the San Diego area last year-boyfriend's in the navy (who could've asked for a better place to be stationed!) I actually just picked up my bike last night and now I'm waiting for it to stop raining so I can go out and ride. Until now I've always been a passenger on the bike but am very excited to finally have my own.

JonKerr

Elite Member

bmw675

welcome,
where at in illinois were you from?
were you stationed at Scott AFB?
im just a half hour outside of stl.

Tinkerbellskpr

Found the bike on cycletrader. The guy who had it was involved in a dirt bike crash and had some serious injuries that made him decide to sell the street bike. Got a great deal on it!

I'm originally from a small town called Newman, which is about 30 min south of Champaign. He was stationed at Great Lakes when I met him and we came out here about 6 months after that.

RandiZ

Deposit on new FZ6R

Put a deposit on my yellow FZ6R last Saturday and I am so thrilled! It'll be my 4th bike but 1st new one.

Had an 800 Vulcan classic then a Nighthawk 750. I've got a Vulcan 500 sitting in my garage that I'll practically be giving away, I mean selling, when the snow melts here in NYC.

My bike was my major source of transportation when I lived in FL. Now in NYC, my needs and wants have changed, which is why I decided to sell the Vulcan and buy the FZ6R. I'm also looking to hook up with the local Star group that is not far from my house and also seem to be good folks to ride with on weekends.

I'm a high school science teacher and have lots of time to explore the roads on long breaks and especially in the summer. Looking forward to exploring upstate NY on the new bike and screaming in my helmet.

RandiZ

MikeN02

Put a deposit on my yellow FZ6R last Saturday and I am so thrilled! It'll be my 4th bike but 1st new one.

Had an 800 Vulcan classic then a Nighthawk 750. I've got a Vulcan 500 sitting in my garage that I'll practically be giving away, I mean selling, when the snow melts here in NYC.

My bike was my major source of transportation when I lived in FL. Now in NYC, my needs and wants have changed, which is why I decided to sell the Vulcan and buy the FZ6R. I'm also looking to hook up with the local Star group that is not far from my house and also seem to be good folks to ride with on weekends.

I'm a high school science teacher and have lots of time to explore the roads on long breaks and especially in the summer. Looking forward to exploring upstate NY on the new bike and screaming in my helmet.

RandiZ
Oh wow! I wish my teachers in High School rode bikes... I would be able to talk to them all day, and be the teachers pet!

The Hammer

Mirror block off plates

Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here! Would you mind posting a pic of the R6 mirror block off plates? It is something a TON of people have been looking to do, and I think we would all love to see how it worked out.

:thumbup:
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I posted a pic of the plates in my picture album, I am not sure of the brand, but it was not hard to make them work. I ordered mine from J&P cycles sport bike catalogue.

JZIPPOZ

Hey Everyone,
My name is Jeff and i am from Chicago, Il. I just bought my Yamaha Blue FZ6r today and i am looking forward to start riding. I took the MSF course last fall and i am excited. Unfortunately living in Chicago, i will have to wait a few months before i start to ride but i believe that it will be well worth it. Anyone have any tips/ideas on fender eliminator kits, frame sliders, flush mount signals, and mirrors. Also just wondering if anyone out there has had any issue come up with there bike.
Thanks

rob123

hi everyone i am from buffalo, new york and i just bought my raven black fz6r not to long ago,and this is the first bike i ever bought and i am only 19 so the extra stuff on there will probably come one thing at a time and if anyone has good websites to find cheap parts and extra mods that would be great if u can let me kno, and also if anyone can tell me how to install my fender eliminator kit i bought it off ebay for $50 and its cold as hell here in buffalo and i wanna go out there and do it but i dont wanna be out there for a long time, so any info would be great thank you

Heineken

Elite Member
Last edited:

Craxican

Kinda been putting this off...so here goes

Hello...my name is Josh, im 26 (27 in May), i live in Pensacola Florida. I ride a yellow FZ6R. I am a pre-law student at the University of West Florida. (graduate in april)...Im a pop-culture type of person so I love movies (i own over 2000 dvds, 300 vhs, 60 laser disc, 8 beta, and about 12 blue ray), music, trivia, and video games. I also like to workout...

so that's a little about myself:D

porky45

hi everyone i am from buffalo, new york and i just bought my raven black fz6r not to long ago,and this is the first bike i ever bought and i am only 19 so the extra stuff on there will probably come one thing at a time and if anyone has good websites to find cheap parts and extra mods that would be great if u can let me kno, and also if anyone can tell me how to install my fender eliminator kit i bought it off ebay for $50 and its cold as hell here in buffalo and i wanna go out there and do it but i dont wanna be out there for a long time, so any info would be great thank you
holy run on sentence batman. Periods are your friend!:thumbup:

One of the biggest ways to save yourself some money is by doing things yourself instead of paying labor rates of $85.00/HR (CA labor at the dealer). Like Heineken said, most of the info you need is on the forum and if not then just ask.

This Search link is your best friend.

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE BIKE!

Blueraven

Hello everyone,

My name is Jason I'm 35 from Westminster, CO. I just bought my new Raven FZ6R in October of '09. I used to ride dirt bikes with my family when I was little, but I just received my street license last June. I was trying to restore a 1969 Dodge Charger, but I couldn't afford keep up with the restoration both financially and physically. So I sold her to buy my new baby. I have a couple of friends who started riding and I am now able to join them. I'm new to the streets and looking forward to communicating with the FZ6R community.

Blueraven

husker525

New Member from Colorado

Hello to everyone!!

My name is Bobby, and I just purchased my very first street bike, a 2009 Yamaha FZ6R. I raced RZ350's, FZ750's and FJ's in the mid 80's, as well as being a Yamaha Pro Support rider for 3 wheelers. I have been busy racing quads for the last 5 years, including doing a backflip on a quad at over 40 years of age. I own my own race team and sponsor 4 other quad riders from all over the US and one from Oman.

I wanted to keep my speed bug in the dirt and on 4 wheels, and wanted a sport style bike to ride in the beautiful state of Colorado. I did not want, nor could afford to lose self control and crack open an R1, and risk all that goes with it on the streets. I also had no desire to take my bike to a track.

I have a sponsorship through a Yamaha dealership, so they made me a killer deal on 2009. I have not ridden on the street in many years, but I must say the advances in bike technology was incredible. The power delivery due to the different cams on this model made all the difference in the world for me. I loved when and where the power came on, the close ratio 6 speed gear box, the suspension, and the brakes. I am a taller rider, and adjusting the seat helped relieve some of the cramped feeling, and the ergo's for the bars are just what I was looking for. I even love the stock exhaust, (nice and quiet, as my quads are full race exhausts, and I wanted to get away from that kind of roar, and drawing attention to myself on the street).

The bike is very light, and flickable. I threw it around as much as possible on cold tires, frozen asphalt and 20 degree weather. It stuck and railed, and the suspension is not dialed in for me yet.

I am looking forward to reading all the information that is available from this site, and possibly hooking up with some local members for a ride in the warmer weather ahead.

travstoll

Hello all, I figured I should say hello. My name is Travis, and I'm from the Kansas City area USA. I am not new to bikes by any means, however new to the FZ6R. It took me a while to find this bike. I have had ninjas, a CBR, r6, and even a Suzuki DL650 vStrom. I wanted something I could ride for a longer period of time like the 650, but was still somewhat sporty like the r6 and CBR. I came across the fz6r at my local yamaha dealer a month ago, sat on it, and rode it home a couple days' later. I really like the combination of things this bike brings to the table.

The only thing I miss is a 190 tire, .... I don't seem to be able to lay the bike down into turns as easily as I would like to. I am still on stock tires since the bike only has 700 miles on it. Would some different tires fix my qualm with the the handling of the tires?...comments, thoughts, and suggestions are appreciated...

...setting my sights on bike of the month here in few months...

Last edited:

MikeN02

Hello all, I figured I should say hello. My name is Travis, and I'm from the Kansas City area USA. I am not new to bikes by any means, however new to the FZ6R. It took me a while to find this bike. I have had ninjas, a CBR, r6, and even a Suzuki DL650 vStrom. I wanted something I could ride for a longer period of time like the 650, but was still somewhat sporty like the r6 and CBR. I came across the fz6r at my local yamaha dealer a month ago, sat on it, and rode it home a couple days' later. I really like the combination of things this bike brings to the table.

The only thing I miss is a 190 tire, .... I don't seem to be able to lay the bike down into turns as easily as I would like to. I am still on stock tires since the bike only has 700 miles on it. Would some different tires fix my qualm with the the handling of the tires?...comments, thoughts, and suggestions are appreciated...

...setting my sights on bike of the month here in few months...
You don't miss the power of the other bikes? And since the Ninja 650R is one of the main rivals of this bike, you still prefer this bike over it?

travstoll

You don't miss the power of the other bikes? And since the Ninja 650R is one of the main rivals of this bike, you still prefer this bike over it?
I didn't have a 650r. The 650 I was referring to was the dl650 pictured below. That blue one below was my previous bike. The I have had two ninjas, the baby 250 as my first bike, and then the zx6r...and O God yes I miss the power...However, all things considered this bike is a nice balance between manageable power and a comfy ride.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited: