New member and new fz6r

pwalston25

Hey everybody I'm Patrick and I just bought a 2014 fz6r raven yesterday and loving it so far. I came off a 2013 gsxr 750. It was getting me in trouble and was hurting my wrists and back too bad to actually enjoy it. I sold it and figured I was done with bikes. Well everyone I work with started riding to work and I realized how much I love to ride but the Gsxr was so uncomfortable to me. So I did a few days worth of research and finally had to choose between the cbr650 and the fz. The fz won mainly because of the $2000 price tag difference and parts availability. It's so comfortable to ride and I don't have to lay down anymore but still has the cool factor of a supersport to me. Already ordered a fender eliminator and plan on getting the motodynamics taillight and flush mount signals. Maybe do something with the mirrors and exhaust down the road. Any suggestions?

lytehouse

Super Moderator
:welcome: aboard Patrick! Would love to see some pics when you get the chance.

Chucker

Welcome!!!

I would upgrade to Race Tech fork and shock springs that are right for your weight and put 15W oil in the forks. It'll cost you under $500 and will make a world of difference, especially considering you're coming from a supersport. Check out Race Tech's website.

latony007

Welcome & congrats on your new bike, i know what you mean about the supersports, great for the track, suck for everyday riding unless you a young gumby :) I test rode the R6 and have ridden my buddies R1 and after 20 minutes both my wrists, back and neck were in pain.
the FZ6R is a great all around bike and im sure you will enjoy it. I put on some cheap ebay triangle type flush mounts to be a little more visible than the standard flush mounts, the FE Kit and redoing the seat was the best mod. Good luck and tons of great advice on this forum

pwalston25

Mike, I have already noticed the difference in suspension. The front isn't terrible but the rear definitely needs some work. Thanks for the advice I will check them out.

Tony, I already love riding this one way more than my gsxr. The power isn't there like I had before but I don't care. I feel like I can ride this thing for hours with no fatigue. I probably look like an idiot sitting straight up on what looks like a supersport lol, but then again I don't care at all. What did you do to your seat?

Will try to post pics soon.

Motomama

Congrats on your new bike. It's a great bike all around. I have taken mine on the track twice. I have a bike dedicated for track now, but the 6R does everything awesome. I even put bar risers on mine so I don't have to reach much. I have steel braided brake lines, Corbin Saddle, and put in racetech springs with emulators. I think getting your suspension dial in is the most important thing you can do on your bike. I used 10 W fork oil because I m petite. Definitely get rid of the mirrors. They look like rabbit ears. You will have a lot of fun doing the mods. Enjoy...

Attachments

pwalston25

Congrats on your new bike. It's a great bike all around. I have taken mine on the track twice. I have a bike dedicated for track now, but the 6R does everything awesome. I even put bar risers on mine so I don't have to reach much. I have steel braided brake lines, Corbin Saddle, and put in racetech springs with emulators. I think getting your suspension dial in is the most important thing you can do on your bike. I used 10 W fork oil because I m petite. Definitely get rid of the mirrors. They look like rabbit ears. You will have a lot of fun doing the mods. Enjoy...

I want to get the suspension redone, but it'll have to wait till this winter. I want to get rid of the mirrors asap. Can you show some up close pics of yours? And did you reuse the rubber boots?

latony007

Mike, I have already noticed the difference in suspension. The front isn't terrible but the rear definitely needs some work. Thanks for the advice I will check them out.

Tony, I already love riding this one way more than my gsxr. The power isn't there like I had before but I don't care. I feel like I can ride this thing for hours with no fatigue. I probably look like an idiot sitting straight up on what looks like a supersport lol, but then again I don't care at all. What did you do to your seat?

Will try to post pics soon.
search dirt road custom on the forum and you can see my seats and everyone else that has had them redone by this guy Eddie who does a great job and is really fast as well. Plus half the price of a corbin and better looking as you can customize it however you want. I also did the bar risers too and that made a big difference with my wrists, no one notices your upright and doesnt look stupid. Whenever you see guys on teh freeway with SS they are always riding one handed so they can sit up more anyway :)

I want to get the suspension redone, but it'll have to wait till this winter. I want to get rid of the mirrors asap. Can you show some up close pics of yours? And did you reuse the rubber boots?
yes you can resuse the boots and there are a couple options, the kawi ZX6r seems most popular but be prepared to lose some visibility with them. I tried 2 sets, the ebay ones with signals in them and the GSXR both looked better but couldnt see crap out of either so i went back to stock but different height people may have better luck.

jammer

Another KY rider!! Welcome and you'll love running around on the 6r

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Vath

As has been said, the 6R is a great all around bike. Personally, I like mine stock. I love everything about her, though I've never owned a modern SuperSport.

All I've done is add some saddlebags. The 6R is so much fun that I prefer it to my car and the ability to pick up some groceries is all I really needed. (Though they were actually purchased for a roadtrip, they've proven invaluable.)

Welcome to a whole new riding world and welcome to the forum.
What saddlebags did you end up getting? I have been looking into them recently but can't decide. Was debating giving those OGIO universal bags a try.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

jpag

Congrats on the new bike

I got my FZ6R for the same reason I had a GSXR and I was not riding it as much. Once I switched I noticed the difference and I'm enjoying my weekly rides.

Hey everybody I'm Patrick and I just bought a 2014 fz6r raven yesterday and loving it so far. I came off a 2013 gsxr 750. It was getting me in trouble and was hurting my wrists and back too bad to actually enjoy it. I sold it and figured I was done with bikes. Well everyone I work with started riding to work and I realized how much I love to ride but the Gsxr was so uncomfortable to me. So I did a few days worth of research and finally had to choose between the cbr650 and the fz. The fz won mainly because of the $2000 price tag difference and parts availability. It's so comfortable to ride and I don't have to lay down anymore but still has the cool factor of a supersport to me. Already ordered a fender eliminator and plan on getting the motodynamics taillight and flush mount signals. Maybe do something with the mirrors and exhaust down the road. Any suggestions?

buzzbomb

Elite Member

jammer

Stanton, Ky