New from MN

Muffinpunch

Hi everyone!

I finally decided to join after lurking around the forum for a few weeks. I have been debating between an FZ6R and an SV650N to replace my WR250X. I'm not a newbie, but I don't really want or need a supersport and probably never will. I'm really more of a hooligan rider, which has had me leaning more toward the SV as I don't really care for the full fairing of the 6R. But I do have a thing for Yamahas.

After spending some time drooling over the XJ6 Ive concluded that I really want an FZ6R so I can convert it into a mini streetfighter. I recently came across a resource in the UK offering new OEM naked fairing and belly pan parts including the mounting brackets and hardware from the XJ6 shipped to the US for around $550! The headlight parts are another $400 due to the headlamp assembly, but I think I can probably find a tasteful headlight somewhere else for a reasonable price.

As far as performance upgrades, I'm more interested in suspension upgrades than go fast bits. So I eventually see myself doing an R6 front end swap and upgrading the rear shock and possibly doing a ss swingarm swap at some point. I haven't seen too many front end swaps done on these bikes and I haven't seen anyone swap swingarms, but that wouldn't stop me. I'll document the whole process and I'll be asking advice where needed.
Sorry if my rambling got carried away, but I'm excited to soon be an official member of the FZ6R community.

Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

DragonBlu

Good luck and I'm interested to see how it all turns out. I have to say though, from what you're looking for you might be better off with a used Triumph Street Triple R. Not a supersport, but with a supersports suspension and swingarm. More pep than the FZ6R but very usable and linear power across the rev range without being supersport nutty at the top end. Just a suggestion. As someone who has both, they're both great bikes, but with different feel and function, and from what it sounds like you're looking to achieve, I'd think you'd be happier starting on the ST3R.

(I don't technically have the R version, but the only real difference between the R and standard Street Triple is the upgraded suspension and brakes of the R, but since I've swapped out my standard suspension/brakes for the Daytona 675's which are actually slightly better than the R's, I consider it an R for all intents and purposes. ;))
Welcome to the group Muffin and for crying out loud Nasty,do you have stock in Triumph? I swear you recommend Street Triples to everyone. jk

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

Welcome. Im from Elk River, MN. Im on mnsbr, twisted addicition, and zgempire.com, and do a lot of group ride and solo riding. Welcome to the club, when you get a bike dont hesitate to say hi. This is one of the best forum's out there, excellent community no matter what bike you own.

DakinechicK

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! :cheer:

Muffinpunch

Thank you all for the warm welcome!
I see what you mean about the street triple. I do like that bike, but for the price I'm shopping for its not really an option.
I probably came across as looking for an immediate project the way I worded my intro, but in actuality the only immediate mods I would be looking at doing would be taking off the fairing and and remounting the headlight and lo pro turn indicaters for a "street fighter" look. Maybe a fender eliminator kit and led tailight. The fj6 parts would probably come next winter after the riding season is officially over. At this point though even a 6R is just out of reach. Hopefully by the time the snow melts ill have saved up enough to buy one. I really limit my options because I refuse to finance a bike.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member