Need new Helmet Suggestions!

MikeN02

I have a 07 R6 Charcoal (Silver) and would like a helmet to match this just not a solid...

I'm looking at some Shoei RF-1100 but there isn't a design that really matches my bike within my price range as well ($400 - $450).

Anyone have any suggestions? I've been through a KBC VR-2, and a Seven O Seven Vendetta Strike.

So I haven't had a lot of helmets to know what is really good or not but I know Shoei's are the lightest and are popular with great vents that I've tried on at the store.

JSP

Super Moderator
The Scorpion EXO 1000's are pretty sick!

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Scorpion-EXO-1000-Apollo-Helmet-Medium/dp/B001A6JF8G]Amazon.com: Scorpion EXO-1000 Apollo Helmet - Medium/Dark Silver: Automotive[/ame]

Scorpion EXO-1000 RPM Helmet - Scorpion Helmet - Indysuperbikes

I really wouldnt buy anything sight unseen though. So unless you can physically find something in the shop that you want, I wouldnt buy online without trying one on first.

MikeN02

I think i'm goin to go with the Scorpion RPM... looks sick but I wish the black came with white instead of gold...

JSP

Super Moderator
I think i'm goin to go with the Scorpion RPM... looks sick but I wish the black came with white instead of gold...
Nice! The RPM is sweeeet! Wish I would have picked that one up. The black/gold would match mine perfect! :cool:

Stephenfz6r

I have An EXO1000. The pros are the inside visor and the pump. The cons are the non functioning vents and the excessive shield cost. The main reason I bought this helmet is that it fit and the I liked the inside visor. I ride to work everyday and leave home at 5:00 am and ride eastward into the sunrise so this system works although I would prefer to have the inside visor darker than is. It does cut the sun though. There is also a skirt under the chin which covers the pump mechanism that also helps keep the wind off your upper neck on cooler mornings. On hot days I ride with main visor open for air and the inside down for protection although dirt/bugs can sucked into your face. The link below opens up a whole new issue about the Snell 2005 rating and weather your better off without it, it a good read and it seams that the snell 2010 has overcome the problems mentioned in the article.

:canada:

Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off - Motorcyclist magazine

MikeN02

I have An EXO1000. The pros are the inside visor and the pump. The cons are the non functioning vents and the excessive shield cost. The main reason I bought this helmet is that it fit and the I liked the inside visor. I ride to work everyday and leave home at 5:00 am and ride eastward into the sunrise so this system works although I would prefer to have the inside visor darker than is. It does cut the sun though. There is also a skirt under the chin which covers the pump mechanism that also helps keep the wind off your upper neck on cooler mornings. On hot days I ride with main visor open for air and the inside down for protection although dirt/bugs can sucked into your face. The link below opens up a whole new issue about the Snell 2005 rating and weather your better off without it, it a good read and it seams that the snell 2010 has overcome the problems mentioned in the article.

Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off - Motorcyclist magazine
I've never really had a good enough helmet for vents, I think the only one that I would assume that has great vents is the Shoei's. I'd probably end up getting a smoked visor as I don't like riding with sun glasses/the inside visor shield.

Overrall do you like the EXO-1000? Better than the helmets you've owned in the past?

Stephenfz6r

I've never really had a good enough helmet for vents, I think the only one that I would assume that has great vents is the Shoei's. I'd probably end up getting a smoked visor as I don't like riding with sun glasses/the inside visor shield.

Overrall do you like the EXO-1000? Better than the helmets you've owned in the past?
I was really after the inside visor and the HJC which had this feature was on my shopping list but was not Snell approved which I thought was important at the time so I did not buy it. I tried on a lot of helmets and EX0 1000 fit the best. One thing that most articles stress is that the fit is the most important feature.

I had a bell Star LTD which was very good but age got to it. My wife used a borrowed KBC and she liked as much as the EXO1000(white with striping) she wears now. It was equally quiet if less noisy than the Scorpion. A fellow biker who just bought a Ducati streetfighter bought a full face HJC with the snell 2010 rating. He mentioned that it whistles so he is not all that happy with it for the noise aspect. You should take the time to read the article on helmets I attached in the last post it is really interesting.

Good Luck!

JnT4Life

I was really after the inside visor .... I tried on a lot of helmets and EX0 1000 fit the best.
I also have an EXO 1000 and will agree with these two statements. It seems to run a half size smaller than most other helmets I have tried and fits me well so I really have no need for the pump.
The cons to this helmet IMO are its weight, and it is loud. No whistling but the low rumbling is loud to me. However that may just be the result of the windshield (yami db or stock). I always wear earplugs now but would like a helmet quiet enough to not need them, if one exists lol. The weight is not that noticable at first but it is when traveling at speed and turning my head for whatever reason.
This is still a very good helmet and the internal visor is great! I also love the setting that leaves a small gap at the bottom of the outer visor for extra ventilation.

Edit: I might also add that the field of vision is a bit limited on this helmet. At least compared to my cheap Vega modular.

Detrich

the scorpion exo-1000 are nice helmets. and, the rpm has some nice graphics. :)

for me tho- they were just too hard to get on and my ears would hurt- because the head opening was too small- tho once i got my noggen thru it fit very comfortable. the first exo-1000 i got also whistled quite a bit. so, i ended up returning it. i settled with the hjc is-16 scratch, cuz it's basically like an exo-1000 and fit me noggen better.

good choice either way tho.

MikeN02

Finally! A great deal comes around for those who wait. I had a wreck a month back and still needed a helmet. I know no money is worth the price of my head but I just didn't have any money left for a new helmet so I used my old one (Seven Zero Seven Vendetta Strike) that I high sided in for the time being.

Scorpion EXO-1000 Apollo Matte Anthracite Helmet from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Scorpion Apollo EXO-1000 Anthracite Helmet for $99! Retails $300 and lowest I found it was $200.

Just placed my order, maybe this time I won't get a visor for it... dunno.

Detrich

wow $99 is a steal... did u try it on at a store first and did it fit ok?

Detrich

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

arkkornkid

unless they've changed the liner material, Shoei jsut isn't comfortable for me anymore. I have an RF1000 and my Scorpion exo700 is so much nicer in comparison.

So yeah Diluted, if you can find a place where you can try on both you'll be surprised

JSP

Super Moderator
Scorpion just fits my head best out of any I have tried on. Helmets are all different shapes, so you really have to try them on first.