Looking at Used Bike Tomorrow - Need Help...

Detrich

Hi Guys,

I talked to Mike already, but he suggested I post it here too for extra input. This deal sounds too good to be true, so any advice and feedback is appreciated.

I found a used 2010 R6 with 74 miles and 10 months remaining Yamaha factory warranty via CraigsList that is currently for consignment sale at a local Triumph dealer listed for $9K.

The seller prefers to do a private cash sale for $8K so that he doesn't have to pay the Triumph dealer a commission. His wife owns the title, and he's selling it because they need the money. He says that his insurance company bought this bike for him to re-pay him for his previous bike being stolen out of his driveway.

My local Yamaha dealer ran the VIN and verified the name on the title matches his wife's name, and they said the warranty is indeed valid til 3/1/2012. The Triumph dealer says that they also did a title check, and it came back clean. They also inspected the bike and said it's just-as-advertised, which is basically as-new. As an added check, it's approximately 75 - 80 miles from the dealer the seller claims he bought the bike from and the Triumph dealer- per google maps.

The Yamaha dealer said that there was nothing in their system indicating the bike had any issues, or was stolen or crashed etc. but they think something is really fishy with this deal. Brand new 2010, very attractive sale price, private sale... What gives right? KBB range for used 2010's is $6000 to $8600. So, price-wise, what he's asking isn't too ridiculous.

The last piece of due diligence I'm doing is I put in a VIN sale inquiry with the dealership the seller claims the bike was purchased from. But, they are giving me the run-around and trying to get me to go to their store to buy one of their bikes. They didn't say no tho- just that they would look it up and let me know tomorrow. But they are stalling...

I have not provided any personal info to the seller beyond my first name and phone number. And, tomorrow a buddy and I are going to go look at it at the Triumph dealer.

What do you guys think? Thanks for your help!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Detrich

Well right now in SoCal all dealers are inflating prices. New 2009's won't leave the showroom fir under $11k, much more for a 2010...

So this deal -is- either fantastic or a scam. If any of u can help me think of anything then please sound in. Thanks :)

CrazyCawi

I say your fine beings it is at another dealer on consignment. Just make sure you get a lean release so on and so fouth protecting you as the buyer and have a NOTARY verify the sale with you and the selling party. The reason I say that is because in the state of minnesota even if you have a binding contract of sale it is not held as legally binding in the court system with out a notary signature(which can be given at any bank for free).

I think it sounds like a good deal and from someone who needs the money. At first I thought buying the fz was a deal to good to be true but it was a great deal and worked out well. The guy wanted to go buy an R1 brand new, and he was on craigs list and had one of those fancy posts on there and the bike was listed for $4700 and 2000-2004 r6's go for more then that in my area with 10k miles on it, and so I was VERY skepticle but everythign panned out. I know its tough when using craigs list but if the other dealership has it and you talk to them and they assure you it is consignment, he had to sign a waiver with them stating its his bike so on and so fourth so just ensure he went through that stuff and you will have NO problem! Best of luck buddy!!!! Hope to see pics :)

Detrich

Thanks CC... I'm hoping the originally selling dealership will help confirm for me that the bike was sold to this seller by the VIN # verification. If that checks out, then I think short of anything really weird at the visual inspection, then this is really a great deal to be found right now. I'll keep everyone posted. :fingerscrossed:

CrazyCawi

Good lucky buddy!!! :D

Detrich

Update:
I talked to the dealership that the seller bought the bike from this am. They confirmed (1) name on the title is his wife's name, (2) date of sale, and (3) the bike was sold by them as a new unit.

So one of my friends is going to go with me to go look at the bike at the Triumph Dealership to see how it looks. And, I'll try to ask the dealer some questions as well. This is beginning to look more legit.

The only thing that I can think of that could be a potential problem is if the seller used a fraudulent identity to buy the bike. Like she could be an undocumented alien or do forth. But the bike is paid off and they own the title.

Would this matter at all?

Tnx for everyone's help

CrazyCawi

You should be in the clear!!! Take pix :)

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Sparkxx1

I wouldn't doubt the low price. My friend just sold his 2009 r6 with 50 miles on it for 6k. People do need the money sometimes and if you can get an awesome deal go for it, especially now that the economy is a shitbowl. Just make sure everything is in order, if anything, have a well known mechanic look at the bike?

CrazyCawi

I say make your move because someone else may be talking to the bank by now. You never know.
I agree completely Ive seen this happen so many times in the car biz and it just breaks a person down when they miss out and realize it! They had an 07 R6 with 4000 miles that my old stealership took on trade and gave the guy 2000 for it on the sports car he wanted....$2000!!!! I could have bought it for $500 more which was what we pay for cars there, but I didnt have the money before it sold and every time I think about it I become this lil guy :rant:

because I didnt move fast enough....

MikeN02

Update for those who don't know (I know I'm late to this thread but I've been working a lot).

He's a proud owner of the 2010 YZF Yamaha R6! In Team Yamaha blue/White no less.

Another one has turned!

Detrich

Thanks Mike & everyone who sounded in and/ or provided info the past couple months. It all helped...

The sellers of this bike are a really nice, sweet married couple. They bought the bike last month brand new, and simply never rode it, because the husband said that it hurt his back. They also have a lot of expenses for their business last month to cover. So selling the bike quickly at a loss was the fastest way for them to get cash immediately and get rid of a bike they didn't plan to keep anyways...

The bike was rather dirty at the Triumph dealer, and it has micro dust scratches throughout. But other than that, it was in immaculate shape.

The only thing left is for us to get the title transferred, because the bike didn't even have plates yet. We will try to take care of this hopefully next week... I already added it to my insurance- so that part is covered.

It's been a long but exciting day. My friend Tony went with me, and he helped out a LOT. Plus, he rode it back for me since rides a CBR & is more accustomed to the SS feel. (AAA totally screwed me on the tow but that's a side bar I guess. They really suck nowadays.)

Here are some photos. We already went for group ride tonight and the bike handles & shifts like a dream. It just definitely takes some getting used to. Night time was better since there are fewer cars on the road.

Thanks everyone! ^_^

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Detrich

Tnx guys... =) The height thus far is manageable, but "inconvenient," if you will. I find myself scooting my crotch as far forward as possible before stopping. And, when I stalled and had to put both feet down- I wasn't used to only being able to toe it on both sides.

The clutch only engaging at near full extension of the bar is more annoying to me than the height. Only because if the friction point were easy to find like on the 6R, I never would've stalled to begin with... lol. x_x

The bike is also a LOT lighter. I
Notice the weight difference when pushing it around and when cornering. It's not top heavy like the 6R.

Also, if u guys thought the windscreen on the 6R was ineffective, the one on the R6 is even worse. lol. o_O

More to come... ^_^

JSP

Super Moderator
SWEEEEET!!! :D Congrats! You will love it! :thumbup: Wait till you get that thing into 13k-16k rpm! Its a rush for sure! Be careful on it.

NoDoze

omg you got the bike. awesome and congratulations!

seems everyone is upgrading, i feel like i'm getting left behind! :D hehe

Sage

Congrats! Have fun on that thing and be careful :)