Keep these in mind when "Trying" to get rid of chicken strips

efforex

efforex

So i went out on a ride now with full gear and man it was weird at first but man i must say i feel so much safer now and a little of the fear lifted. With that being said i decided to head out and try to get out of my comfort zone a little bit and man i was so much better off this way i ended up drop into the turns and being able to power out and lean. Instead of coming into the turn to slow then dropping then not being able to power out with out correcting. In essence it was smooth and I GOT MY FUDGING KNEE DOWN Okay so now that was said. I am now worried that there might be a lot of room where i was no properly on the bike in the lean. Ill try to paint you guys a picture.

1. Foot was turned big toe up.
2. Knee was locked on the outside of the tank(foot was not pressing down hard on out side peg but was a bit to help lock)
3. My eyes were focused ahead of myself as far as i could see in the turn.
4. I honestly dont recall whether or not i had my elbows tucked.
5. KNEE TOUCHED DOWN.

I was so hyped about reaching this level but def the biggest help in my riding career so far is buzzbomb and JonKerr

JonKerr is probably one of the most stand up guys i have meet and humble at that. Thanks to you for all your help and will look for to anymore advice you can give me.

Buzzbomb always willing to put in his to cents and is a big plus cause hes that guy that makes you think JK is the one that tells you NO don't do that.

I can't say enough how helpful this forum is and how polite people are and i truly believe with out some of the people on here i could of ended up as a statistic on the road ways.

efforex

So i went out on a ride now with full gear and man it was weird at first but man i must say i feel so much safer now and a little of the fear lifted. With that being said i decided to head out and try to get out of my comfort zone a little bit and man i was so much better off this way i ended up drop into the turns and being able to power out and lean. Instead of coming into the turn to slow then dropping then not being able to power out with out correcting. In essence it was smooth and I GOT MY FUDGING KNEE DOWN Okay so now that was said. I am now worried that there might be a lot of room where i was no properly on the bike in the lean. Ill try to paint you guys a picture.

1. Foot was turned big toe up.
2. Knee was locked on the outside of the tank(foot was not pressing down hard on out side peg but was a bit to help lock)
3. My eyes were focused ahead of myself as far as i could see in the turn.
4. I honestly dont recall whether or not i had my elbows tucked.
5. KNEE TOUCHED DOWN.

I was so hyped about reaching this level but def the biggest help in my riding career so far is buzzbomb and JonKerr

JonKerr is probably one of the most stand up guys i have meet and humble at that. Thanks to you for all your help and will look for to anymore advice you can give me.

Buzzbomb always willing to put in his to cents and is a big plus cause hes that guy that makes you think JK is the one that tells you NO don't do that.

I can't say enough how helpful this forum is and how polite people are and i truly believe with out some of the people on here i could of ended up as a statistic on the road ways.

Heres the pic

Attachments

JonKerr

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

efforex

Well said, brother. In all I've learned, the knee down is the absolute LAST thing that should happen.

I remember what it was like when I first had the balls to drop that knee. What a frickin' rush! Soon thereafter I was dropping that knee all the time. It feels so good!

I'm now many thousands of miles past that point. It's that old saying: "If I had known then what I know now." As much as I cherish those memories, that knee would have stayed glued to the tank.

It's part of the learning process, I think. Get the balls and skills and drop the knee. Then, when your skills increase, realize you shouldn't have.

THEN work on the skills you know are lacking, and drop the knee again, once you realize everything you think you know isn't enough to handle it.

My co-workers sometimes ask me about riding a motorcycle. Sometimes it's because they want to and are simply interested in what it feels like. Very few come back and ask again, LOL.

Here is a photo from last sunday on a slow ride just curious if anyone can throw out some input maybe of form even just riding slow.

Attachments

Fizzi6ergal

Did you guys remove your little safety notches on your foot pegs? Everytime I hit a corner hard, I always hit those notches that stick out off of the foot pegs. Then it kicks the foot peg up and scares the living crap out of myself. Those notches is what keeps me from attempting to drag a knee.

efforex

Did you guys remove your little safety notches on your foot pegs? Everytime I hit a corner hard, I always hit those notches that stick out off of the foot pegs. Then it kicks the foot peg up and scares the living crap out of myself. Those notches is what keeps me from attempting to drag a knee.
Yeah i know Jk has his removed and he also help me remove mine. You just need something to latch on to them and they screw right off.

Fizzi6ergal

Yeah i know Jk has his removed and he also help me remove mine. You just need something to latch on to them and they screw right off.
The notches just screw off? Oh that's B.A.! I might have to do that this weekend. I have the notches scratched down to a good size flat spot from dragging them so many times. I think those are the only things from me dropping a knee, and well maybe form has to do with it too. I always try to watch the big wigs and learn from how they lean. Even though the bike does most of the work.

efforex

The notches just screw off? Oh that's B.A.! I might have to do that this weekend. I have the notches scratched down to a good size flat spot from dragging them so many times. I think those are the only things from me dropping a knee, and well maybe form has to do with it too. I always try to watch the big wigs and learn from how they lean. Even though the bike does most of the work.
Jon says it best the knee down is the last thing you should hope for it should just happen from good form dont think about reaching it. I think my big problem was i was hoping for the "knee down". It was distracting me from so many other things that are def more important. Like having perfect lines while entering a turn making sure you have a correct line to follow. Body position and not weighting the bars with your hands. I am no where near where i want to be with my form so even though i got my knee down i have actually slowed down quite a bit to looks at those things.

You'll never get your knee down if your dead.

Fizzi6ergal

Jon says it best the knee down is the last thing you should hope for it should just happen from good form dont think about reaching it. I think my big problem was i was hoping for the "knee down". It was distracting me from so many other things that are def more important. Like having perfect lines while entering a turn making sure you have a correct line to follow. Body position and not weighting the bars with your hands. I am no where near where i want to be with my form so even though i got my knee down i have actually slowed down quite a bit to looks at those things.

You'll never get your knee down if your dead.
I totally agree with you. I don't purposely go around corners to see if I can drag a knee. The few corners that I go around on a daily basis, I get used to them more and more I go around them(i.e. the sharpness of the corner, if there are rocks on the corner, where i should start my dive into the corner). I always tend to dive into the corner a little late just to get that lean on. I have made a mistake or two of diving into the corner a little early, and then I ride the yellow line or sometimes go over the line and luckily there haven't been any cars coming towards me. So that's why I always wait that extra second before I dive myself into a corner. I don't hang much off of the bike in a corner, I do re-adjust myself when I'm about to go into the corner though. I slide from one end of the seat to the other, depending on the corner. I do turn sharper to my left than I do to my right. Maybe turning left is my comfort turn.

Bloke

Bad form. Get off of your bike more, knee downs can occur with the bike practically vertical, you just have to move more.

Arsecheek off of the seat, attempt to kiss your left or right handlebar and lightly drop the knee, if your footpeg is grounding out you're leaning over way too much and likely have a skewed seating position (arse off, legs wide open and head dead centre) so get your entire body over the side more which will lower your knee and decrease the lean angle. Your back should be in a straight line down the side of the bike.

efforex

Fizzergirl i would recommend read or watching twist of the wrist II i watch it at least three or four times a month.

BoneJj

You're doing it wrong if you are hitting those tabs. You need to be working on your forum so that you don't hit those before you worry about your knee dragging.

Fizzi6ergal

Bad form. Get off of your bike more, knee downs can occur with the bike practically vertical, you just have to move more.

Arsecheek off of the seat, attempt to kiss your left or right handlebar and lightly drop the knee, if your footpeg is grounding out you're leaning over way too much and likely have a skewed seating position (arse off, legs wide open and head dead centre) so get your entire body over the side more which will lower your knee and decrease the lean angle. Your back should be in a straight line down the side of the bike.
Thanks for your input. I will gladly take that to heart and work on my form a lot more. I used to hit the notches a lot when I first got my bike, seeing that it is my first bike. But as I ride on, I've noticed that I don't hit the notches as much. And now that I know that hitting the pegs is not a good thing, I am going to work on it. If I recall correctly, I only hit my pegs just a small handful of times this past summer.

Getlow4OG

found these short videos about body positioning... their british accents are a bit hard to understand, but if u watch it twice it makes good sense.

it's basically what jon said... that is- keep the bike as upright as you can to maintain control and lower your center of gravity to lean your body. the instructor said that you only lean the bike as you get more skilled at it, but that the bike shouldn't lean so much. your body leans. :)

YouTube - MCN: How to get your knee down

YouTube - Body Positioning when cornering
Awesome videos, I swear I learn how to become a better rider everytime I get on here and do a little reading and then go out and slowly practice it.

efforex

Awesome videos, I swear I learn how to become a better rider everytime I get on here and do a little reading and then go out and slowly practice it.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL54cMxILRU]Four Stages Of Body Position: Delaney - YouTube[/ame]

Just watched this good watch.

Detrich

Wow. Great video. Tnx for sharing. :)

efforex

Attachments

JonKerr

Elite Member