Keep these in mind when "Trying" to get rid of chicken strips

JonKerr

Elite Member

husker525

The only thing missing in this photo is the helicopter landing to come take the rider away! Wow! That bike is history!! I hope the rider was ok. Great points, Jon!!

gearhead

OUCH! At least he had protective clothing on. I'm not a gear nazi, but if you're going to screw around like that, then protect yourself!

MikeN02

At least he was wearing his gear, except pants. His angle would have been done if he wasn't wearing those boots.

Right away I noticed he wasn't using good body positioning. You put pressure on the handlebars to turn but not when you're going in a corner that hot.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "proper" way to take that corner is to basically have one cheek on the seat and kiss your mirror.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Detrich

ouch... that guy really ought to have been wearing leather pants with knee/ shin armor. :( hope he didn't get hurt too badly. it's amazing that the photographer just kept shooting and got the entire crash sequence too... so i guess the moral is to position your body to lean into the turn, not lean the bike to where it tips over...

Last edited:

creggur

What's really sad is if this guy would have simply moved his upper body down and to the inside of the turn it would have probably saved his bike. Having his body center-line beyond the bike's center-line to the outside of the curve caused the excessive lean angle (bad, bad, bad move).

I'd be willing to bet that the bike/tires would have pulled this move off - even with the horrible form - had it not been for additional slop added to the equation. I'm guessing he was running the bike in the midst of its powerband, which is fine if you know what you're doing, but takes away any margin for error with throttle input. Get crossed up like that in the middle of a bad line through a curve with the bike ready to lurch if you breathe on the throttle and down you go.

Fortunately for us, modern sport rides will allow some room for sloppy input (the bikes are way better than us) but cross too many lines and physics will bitch-slap you every time.

Hope the rider is ok!

creggur

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "proper" way to take that corner is to basically have one cheek on the seat and kiss your mirror.
You are correct, Mike. How I learned this was to first start taking curves with my butt square on the seat, but my upper body leaning to the inside - this gives you most of the advantages of 'hanging off' because you've moved the entire bike's center of gravity lower and to the inside (our head and shoulders are heavy and can affect CG considerably) requiring less lean angle to 'make' the curve.

I then started shifting my entire body more to the inside (one cheek off the bike) while keeping my upper body in the same relationship to my lower body - head and shoulders further inside than my butt.

Having said that - what is waaaaay more important than perfect body position is selecting the correct line and SMOOTH throttle control. I'd bet I could go through that curve faster than he was going sitting up bolt-straight because I'd take the proper line and use SMOOTH brake/throttle inputs to negotiate the curve SMOOTHLY. Not being arrogant, I'm far from perfect, it's really about relaxing and letting the bike do what it was engineered to do while not mucking it up for the motorcycle with unsettling throttle or brake inputs...

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

creggur

Did you find a curve in Florida? Let me know...
Nah, have to shoot up to Georgia for those.... Fortunately, I live close to the border.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
It's amazing the photo sequence. I have seen so many crashes documented with photos, that it's easy to see where people go wrong.

Did anyone see thay the spokes of the front wheel just snapped off and stayed attached to the front axle, while the rest of the rim and tire stayed together? Took some force in just the right way to do that! :eek:

Stay within your limits and you'll make it home safe!

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

jcbrown630

Prolly puckered up Chopped the throttle and overloaded the front tire. If you ever find yourself too fast in a corner the LAST thing you want to do is close the throttle. RUINS your traction. Overloads the front and the weight distribution moves forward. What little rear tire traction is left is now being used to slow the bike and not for cornering. SR#1 avoid at all costs.

JonKerr

Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member