How late is too late to ride??

WenMark

I personally don't like to ride after 10pm too many drunks and crazy's out that time of the evening especially on Friday/Saturday nights.

Please be careful out there!

Motorcyclist seriously injured in early morning crash

TBO.com staff

Published: September 20, 2009

Related Links

* Motorcycle accidents

Deputies are investigating an early morning motorcycle crash in Madeira Beach that left a motorcyclist seriously injured.

The crash occurred at 1:28 a.m. today at the intersection of Gulf Boulevard and Boca Ciega Drive, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office.

According to investigators, Robert J. Zaper, 25, was riding north on Gulf Boulevard at the intersection of Boca Ciega Drive, when he drove up onto the curb, struck some roadside wood timbers and was ejected from his motorcycle.

Zaper was transported by ambulance to Bayfront Medical Center with life-threatening injuries,

He was not wearing a helmet.

Alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the crash, according to investigators.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
What caused him to go up on the sidewalk?? If alcohol wasn't a factor, I imagine fatigue was.

I, personally, have ridden at all times of the day/night. Since I do research at a hospital, there are times where I have to be back in the lab in the wee hours of the morning. At those times, you just have to be extra aware of what's going on around you. It really sucks when I forget to change from my dark tinted visor back to my clear one. :eek:

However, I can tell you that riding sleepy or fatigued is just as bad as riding drunk. I have never ridden/driven drunk, but I can tell you that being sleepy slows down all your reflexes very similar to alcohol.

cbzdel

since my bike is my only transportation I ride at all times..

nlpyle

i ride mostly when it is dark out( work overnights). I sorta like it just because I can see peoles headlights so I no someone is around the corner, but still need to be aware cause not everyone has headlights on at night. But ya I would say the weekend is a lot worse, I see a lot more people being idiots and not really paying attention so you just have to up your game.

Verranth

Just went up to DC Sunday at 11:30pm and came back home around 1am.

I went to work on Wednesday and didnt get back until 3AM the next day.

I have no problems riding at any hour, you just have to be aware of the dangers that come with each part of the day...or night :)

Craxican

i actually like to go on rides at like 1 or 2 AM, less cars, love the smell of the early morning dew, and most of all...most of the lights are GREEN.

FitZ6R

I agree that it's about the conditions, not so much a particular curfew time.

My least favorite is weekend shopping traffic (worse than rush hour, IMO). Around this time of year, I find that the low sun in late afternoon / early evening is rough for visibility. At night, most of my usual riding roads are almost empty, but I keep the brake covered for deer. :eek:

cbzdel

i ride mostly when it is dark out( work overnights). I sorta like it just because I can see peoles headlights so I no someone is around the corner, but still need to be aware cause not everyone has headlights on at night. But ya I would say the weekend is a lot worse, I see a lot more people being idiots and not really paying attention so you just have to up your game.

good points!

xplodnstar

When you can no longer find a pulse, then it's too late to ride. Until then, get in all the seat time you can and just be careful out there.

Ooter

I never ride after dark unless I have no other option. Visbility is a constant challenge for the motorcyclist and I am always trying to limit my risk factors. Its the same reason I don't ride in the rain either.

BluePill

Safety stats say that Midnight to 3 AM on Fridays and Saturdays are the most dangerous times to be on the road - wonder why?

"If alcohol is a crutch, Jack Daniels is a wheel chair" - Robin Williams

Heineken

Elite Member

zig308

I would ride my bike at night since I leave before dawn in the morning, but there are too many dumb does standing in the middle of the road or waiting to leap out in front of you in the morning.

ramflyer1899

I never ride after dark unless I have no other option. Visbility is a constant challenge for the motorcyclist and I am always trying to limit my risk factors. Its the same reason I don't ride in the rain either.
Agree 100%! My bike is not my primary or only means of transportation so I get to choose when I ride. Why make it more difficult or dangerous than it has to be?

fz6rwolf

I've ridden at night many times but not much lately, just not as enjoyable. Even in car I don't enjoy night driving, headlight glare kills and fatigues my eyes too much.

FitZ6R

And if you are so concerned about limiting your risk factors, then why buy a motorcycle? :confused:
Crazy guess, but... maybe because he likes riding? And who's to tell him that his choice isn't valid?

Years ago, I used to try to be a hardass about riding regardless of conditions. I once rode from Ontario to Madison, WI (850 miles) in a day, hitting Chicago traffic at 10 PM in heavy rain. It was a challenge and I can brag about having done it, but it zero fun at the time.

I've mellowed since then. I don't have any rules about time of day, but before each ride I do a quick assessment of riding conditions, as well as my own mental and physical preparedness. Sometimes the outcome is "nah, not today," but when I am riding, I'm enjoying it more.

joloy133

IMO that's a bit extreme :noworries: . And if you are so concerned about limiting your risk factors, then why buy a motorcycle? :confused:
The amount of risk individuals choose to accept varies, just like a riders intelligence level and true abilities. Just get home safe!

Ooter

IMO that's a bit extreme :noworries: . And if you are so concerned about limiting your risk factors, then why buy a motorcycle? :confused:
I love to ride! There's nothing I enjoy more than waking up early on the weekend and going out for a few hours on nice empty roads. I get no pleasure from riding at night when I can't see anything and I'm worried about dodging taxi cabs and drunks (I live in the city).

I also get no pleasure riding in the rain and worrying about my traction. A good friend of mine had 2 friends die in motorcycle accidents - both in the rain. I don't like getting wet while I ride anyway, so that was an easy decision for me too.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Only because I recently picked up that FirstGear TPG jacket on sale amd I still riding. My old "Cold weather" jacket really sucks compared to this new one so with the jacket alone, I've extended my season. I think that with some heated gloves and boot liners, I could ride right up until snow prevents me from doing so!