Help adding more power fz6r

ljohns1119

So i recently picked up my FZR6 for 4800$ its a 2013 with only 8900 miles on it, its got a leo vince full system exhaust on it already and a KN air filter.. wanted to add some extra power and was wondering what the best way about doing that would be, I am considering getting a power commander for it

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

BluePill

Lots of power options are available for any internal combustion engine. It all depends on how much you are willing to pay.

Seriously, what is your budget? $500? $2500?

At some point it is just cheaper to move up to a more powerful bike.

Some ideas here:

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/changing-timing-32662/

Last edited:

Rumpig

FZ6 cams
FZ6 throttle bodies (doing that now)
power commander or remap - theres a bloke in brazil that does it, racebike remap.
If your not worried about top speed lower the gearing.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

ST3RL0

Agree! FZ6 cams are probably the cheapest/Hp improvement mod per $$$ you can make. I personally didn't bother going with the FZ6 throttle body because the mid range gain was so amazing that I never bother going for the few more extra peak HP. If peak HP is what you want then FZ6 throttle is the way to go. The tricky part it to time the cams right... you can gain or loose big time if not done right. On top of my head I have...

Intake lobe center: 102 deg (most important)
Exhaust lobe center: 104 or 105 deg (about stock)
Second this, by far this is the best "bang for buck" mod you can do whether it be coupled with the stock exhaust or aftermarket

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Use this bike to commute, buy a faster bike. The bike is a de-tuned gen 2 R6 for a reason (Beginner/Intermediate). Not going to break any records without spending big bucks.

TN6R

Agree! FZ6 cams are probably the cheapest/Hp improvement mod per $$$ you can make. I personally didn't bother going with the FZ6 throttle body because the mid range gain was so amazing that I never bother going for the few more extra peak HP. If peak HP is what you want then FZ6 throttle is the way to go. The tricky part it to time the cams right... you can gain or loose big time if not done right. On top of my head I have...

Intake lobe center: 102 deg (most important)
Exhaust lobe center: 104 or 105 deg (about stock)
Is it simply plug and play? I mean pull the old cams out and replace with fz6 cams? What about fitment and shim adjustments? And also, does the engine have to be tuned after?

Really interested...I always upgrade cams in my cars. Didn't know it was possible in the fz6r.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Trigger mod - keep this in mind: every 0.0090" removed from the locator tab is 1.0° of advance.

4° = 4 * 0.009" = 0.036"

Not that I'm advising this as a starting point. It is your bike. I'm just supplying the math to get there..

fazer1

So when y'all say use FZ6 cams, are you meaning the camshaft, and there are just 2 of them? I've heard this term hundreds of times in my life but never knew what it meant.

Switching the stock fz6r cams with the FZ cams, then doing a dyno tune can raise rear HP to about 85? Any particular year FZ6 cams or does that matter? Or, is this mod best to do at the same time as an exhaust overhaul to get the most out of it?