Hate dealerships!

There is no reason to hate dealerships,only the liars in them. Avoid the liars and it can be a pleasant experience. I have dealt with tons of dealerships over the years and for the last 17 years have managed a fleet of 17 Fords. By manage I mean clean and routine service. All big jobs go to the local dealer. A dealership is only as good as its service dept as far as I am concerned. Sales people are less than honest by the very nature of the job. I know that because I was in sales for eight years. Extended warranties are wonderful things for those that need them. I keep at least a 3 grand emergency fund and (I realize that everyone can't do that) for my breakdowns which are few and far between.

About extended warranties - think of them this way; if the probable expense of warranty covered repair was higher than the cost of the extended warranty, then they would lose money. They set the rate at an amount that their engineers and accountants have deemed profitable. Meaning, no matter what goes wrong with all of the vehicles for which owners bought extended warranties, they still come out on top.

If you buy the warranty, you're betting that your vehicle will need warranty repairs that exceed the cost of the warranty. If you don't buy it, you're betting your vehicle won't need warranty repairs exceeding the cost.

I always choose not to as I know that, overall, they make money on these warranties. I've won and I've lost, but overall I'm on top so far.

Last edited:
I want to bank where you bank. If you put $360 in an account now, pretend you are getting 5% interest, compounded monthly, for the next three years, you would end up with around $420. I used this site to do the math for me.

A more reasonable interest rate would be something less than 1.5%, but again, pretending and using 1.5%, you would end up with around $375 after three years.

It was just a High guess. You probably in reality endind up with something like $396.43.. :)

About extended warranties - think of them this way; if the probable expense of warranty covered repair was higher than the cost of the extended warranty, then they would lose money. They set the rate at an amount that their engineers and accountants have deemed profitable. Meaning, no matter what goes wrong with all of the vehicles for which owners bought extended warranties, they still come out on top.

If you buy the warranty, you're betting that your vehicle will need warranty repairs that exceed the cost of the warranty. If you don't buy it, you're betting your vehicle won't need warranty repairs exceeding the cost.

I always choose not to as I know that, overall, they make money on these warranties. I've won and I've lost, but overall I'm on top so far.

You made a very good point. Of course they make money out of it. They sell 10 policies, maybe 1 is gonna need to put a new engine and be a 5k claim.

I just think for the extra $10.00 a month (10= 2 starbucks coffee, 2 beers, 1 gallon of gas in mid 2012), is worth having the peace of mind.

You made a very good point. Of course they make money out of it. They sell 10 policies, maybe 1 is gonna need to put a new engine and be a 5k claim.

I just think for the extra $10.00 a month (10= 2 starbucks coffee, 2 beers, 1 gallon of gas in mid 2012), is worth having the peace of mind.
I get that. Another example - I would rather invest money at 5% than pay off my mortgage that is at 3%. Most people would rather have the piece of mind from knowing they're paying off their mortgage faster. I like to go with what wins in the end. It's a long race to retirement. Those with the most money at the end of it win (everything else being equal, of course)

I get that. Another example - I would rather invest money at 5% than pay off my mortgage that is at 3%. Most people would rather have the piece of mind from knowing they're paying off their mortgage faster. I like to go with what wins in the end. It's a long race to retirement. Those with the most money at the end of it win (everything else being equal, of course)

thats a crazy smart way to think bro...thank you. Never heard it put that way

So I just Came back from the dealer again. They told me they couldn't do 6900 but rather their new otd was 7200. Which I guess isn't bad but theyre professionalism is completely absent. I filled out the paperwork for a loan and walked out on 7200 they refused to give me my loan papers back. Why?

So I just Came back from the dealer again. They told me they couldn't do 6900 but rather their new otd was 7200. Which I guess isn't bad but theyre professionalism is completely absent. I filled out the paperwork for a loan and walked out on 7200 they refused to give me my loan papers back. Why?

WTF? So they bait and switched you? Did you just buy a bike and not know it??? You filled the loan docs out before or after they changed the price on you?

WTF? So they bait and switched you? Did you just buy a bike and not know it??? You filled the loan docs out before or after they changed the price on you?

they told me the new price after i filled out the loan application and then told me 7200 .. was approved for 15,000 with a 4 percent apr and 0 percent for the first 6 months. but then when i asked for the loan application back they shoved it in a drawer and said we have to keep this on file. we cant give it back to you. i didnt know what to say so i stormed out

they told me the new price after i filled out the loan application and then told me 7200 .. was approved for 15,000 with a 4 percent apr and 0 percent for the first 6 months. but then when i asked for the loan application back they shoved it in a drawer and said we have to keep this on file. we cant give it back to you. i didnt know what to say so i stormed out

So now you have credit hits for no reason which lowers your score. I do not think they can change the price once you signed loan docs. That is a contract that is binding as long as you get approved for the financing... I would be raising hell. That seems illegal as hell.

I was just at the dealership Monday where I bought my 2011 FZ6R last year and they had the same 2011 model on the floor selling for around $6800. I actually thought It was a good price

I want to bank where you bank. If you put $360 in an account now, pretend you are getting 5% interest, compounded monthly, for the next three years, you would end up with around $420. I used this site to do the math for me.

A more reasonable interest rate would be something less than 1.5%, but again, pretending and using 1.5%, you would end up with around $375 after three years.

sounds like a good bank to me...whats the name of it

legally they cant give you it after you filled it out and signed it. They will shred it after 30 days. Its the law...not a sleeze dealership. They may have been weird about doing it...but they dont have a choice but to keep it. If you would have taken it out of their hands and walked off they just breached the law and could be held accountable.

legally they cant give you it after you filled it out and signed it. They will shred it after 30 days. Its the law...not a sleeze dealership. They may have been weird about doing it...but they dont have a choice but to keep it. If you would have taken it out of their hands and walked off they just breached the law and could be held accountable.

They are still sleeze for changing price on him after signing the docs.. which surely cannot be legal..?

They are still sleeze for changing price on him after signing the docs.. which surely cannot be legal..?

he didnt sign the docs to buy the bike...he signed a purchase agreement which in ANY transaction is subject to change...taxes and fee's are approximated because EACH county in a state has its own tax bracket their residents live in so they HAVE to estimate to be fair to every customer. Before he signed the final documents to purchase the bike they would have went over the exacts....just like they were with him when he decided it wasnt fair and moved on

So now you have credit hits for no reason which lowers your score. I do not think they can change the price once you signed loan docs. That is a contract that is binding as long as you get approved for the financing... I would be raising hell. That seems illegal as hell.

I didnt sign any loan contracts. I filled out an application to see if I was approved. Upon approval before signing any agreement that im buying the bike they raised the price. Im just worried that my loan application is sitting there with a copy of my license. Also yeah it does suck that my credit now has a hard inquiry for no reason.

I didnt sign any loan contracts. I filled out an application to see if I was approved. Upon approval before signing any agreement that im buying the bike they raised the price. Im just worried that my loan application is sitting there with a copy of my license. Also yeah it does suck that my credit now has a hard inquiry for no reason.

Oh, I see. Sorry about that. Good on you for that at least.

Back