Making seat more comfy - Memory foam

sti491

UPDATE @ POST END - NEW PICS! Making seat more comfy - Memory foam

Anyone modified their seat to make it more comfy on long rides?

I just did the longest ride I have ever done on this bike. 200 miles in one day, We stopped for lunch, a gator aide, pee break, a beer stop (1 beer)... and even a "bike night" at a local eatery later in the evening, so we got some rest stops as we proceeded.

Just toward the end of the day on the way to the bike night event, my butt got sore. The next day and today I'm noticeably uncomfortable high on inside of my thighs, where the seat runs down at an angle I think.

I have researched adding gel, and other ways to improve it. I talked to a friend of mine, Brian who owns Port City Upholstery in Wilmington, NC. He repaired my 2004 Sti Alcantra seat, and recovered both leather seats in my wife's 2002 Maxima. I decided to take his recommendation.

In a couple weeks he is going to remove and trash my OEM cover, add memory foam, make it just a bit taller and wider, and use Carbon Fiber Vinyl in the center and OEM style smooth vinyl on the sides, using red stitching to match my 2012 Raven graphics. The style will look similar to the attached pic, but with more contrast using the 2 different texture materials. Brian said he has done dozens of MC seats with memory foam and riders are satisfied. Price is not cheap at $150. However, it's cheaper than other options I have identified.

Has anyone done anything different?

Attachments

Last edited:

dazza_FZ6R

hello, im very intrigued as to the out come of your seat MOD, I too am looking for a upgrade with my seat, I'm even thinking of splashing for the Yamaha comfort seat if I can not find an alternative, Iv even tryd looking into, wether the seat from the XJ6 will fit as shad make a comfort seat for that model. but to no avail.

Please let me know how it turns out and even some pictures if you can

Thank you

sti491

I have never seen a Yam comfort seat for sale.. it’s a unicorn part these days! I’ll post up my seat when it’s done. It will be about a week from now.

hello, im very intrigued as to the out come of your seat MOD, I too am looking for a upgrade with my seat, I'm even thinking of splashing for the Yamaha comfort seat if I can not find an alternative, Iv even tryd looking into, wether the seat from the XJ6 will fit as shad make a comfort seat for that model. but to no avail.

Please let me know how it turns out and even some pictures if you can

Thank you

sti491

Thank you. When I searched, I missed your post.

I decided against gel based on reports of it heating up. I trust Brian at Port City will do a really nice job for me. It will probably feel similar to yours.

I am dropping it off tomorrow.

I have modified my seat before using gel pad i purchased from amazon and an old memory foam pillow i cut up. Also purchase marine vinyl wrap for seat cover. i could ride longer now compare to stock seat without getting any pain in my tail bone.

https://www.600cc.org/forum/threads/33282-Seat-Modification?highlight=tho9504

sti491

Just a teaser... dropped my seat off at Port City Upholstery. We discussed how he is doing it, the look and feel I wanted. He had a similar seat he showed me that looked great.

He will discard the old cover, cut away most of the current OEM foam. Then he adds memory foam that will raise the seat approx 1/2" (good for me, I am a tall guy), and the seat will end up with a more rounded, less angular look I can't wait to see it!

Brian always has such cool cars he is working out, check these out:

Attachments

sti491

I have not heard of them but may be very good. I know this pro so felt comfortable going with him. Just got a text that it is done, picking it up topmorrrow. Can't wait!

How bout Spencer Seats in Florida. Might be worth a try .... he does inexpensive work but good.

sti491

Cush for my Ol' Man Tush! I hope this is the best $150 I've spent on the bike. I think it very well may be. Still in Wilmington (4 hrs from home, heading back tomorow), so can't attest to comfort or show on the bike yet. Looks freakin great in person! Appears that the cushioning is vastly improved.

Most all old foam removed, 2" of memory foam, seat significantly reshaped based on my requests and Brian's experience (Upholsterer that re-did my wife's old Maxima's leather seats and fixed my Sti seat). Can't wait to put it on the bike. First pic is "before", where you can see the angularity of the OEM seat and stealth padding (AKA nearly none). New custom made cover is far better quality vinyl than OEM.

Shout out to Brian at Port City Upohlstry in Wilmington. GREAT GUY that does awesome work. I could have got this done closer to home. There is a reason he has my loyalty... and I'll keep coming back too!

Attachments

sti491

w00 w00! Re-done seat is the bomb!

Just went on local loop in 30mph wind gusts... because I HAD to check out the seat! Seat is freakin' A+ awesome. Firm but comfy at same time. Check out how the stitching lines up with the tank pads... haha, is good to get lucky! I did not have the bike at Port City Upholstery, only the seat. Brian just made it that way... he's the upholsterer magician!

I can now sit back farther when I want to. The Japanese engineer that designed the passenger seat with that center bulge must have swung both ways I think, it felt terrible before. Maybe that thing fits somebodies butt, not mine though. With the seat higher now, it’s the perfect butt rest. I had already raised my seat 1.5", but being a long legged 6"3", I now finally flat foot the bike comfortably at a stop. Soooo nice. I wanted it done for comfort mainly, but wow, it’s the little things that set bikes apart. Very happy with the appearance. The vinyl is Carbon Fiber in the center, smooth on the sides. The pics of the CF don't do it justice. The vinyl is thicker than OEM and much nicer quality.

There is also no forward tilt in the seat now, which is way better IMO. No more family jewel tank compression braking aggressively.

Hey, on another note, if you don't already have side tank pads, you should. Some may find these unattractive. For whatever your appearance view, you can't argue the ridability improvement. Not having a freezing metal tank between your legs on a cold morning is a big plus as well.

If you are considering doing this, don't hesitate. The seat is a weak point on this bike in my opinion. I can't wait going on another long ride.

One more shout out to Brian. He's THE MAN!

Attachments

Last edited:

sti491

Before I changed the seat, I had a larger than normal front seat to tank gap.... because I has raised the seat up so much (at least 1.5"). The back gap was a bit nasty too.

In the front, I bought a fairly large pice of one side sticky window/door foam insulation from Home Depot, ant stuck it to the front of the rider seat. It looked better that way.

I did the same thing on the crack between the rider and passenger seat, sticking it to the passenger seat, rather low, so you didn't really see it, but it filled the gap and there at least was no light shining through. This foam is dark grey. I used a black sharpie to make it more of the black color of the seats.

Brain at Port City Upohlstry, took the piece of foam I had on the front of the rider seat, and placed it under his new custom seat cover, that has thicker and better quality vinyl. I put the "new" seat on with the passenger foam still in place, and it fit like it was made to be!

I am more intrigued on how you filled the ugly gap

KyCat

I have the same problem with my 2011 on anything over 200 miles. Any post production review because I'm considering giving Brian some business. Thanks