Frequency of changing knob rubber

WeatherB

Hey guys! How often does everyone change the rubber on their shift knob? Mine seems to be wearing out very quickly for some reason! Here's a picture of my knob after about 2,000KM and you can see that the rubber is really worn!

Attachments

Last edited:

Deathdiesel

If your wearing normal boots and not in extreme heats that should NOT be happening. I have 5k miles on my bike and my rubber boot still looks new. Take it back to dealer and see if they can order one for ya.

WeatherB

If your wearing normal boots and not in extreme heats that should NOT be happening. I have 5k miles on my bike and my rubber boot still looks new. Take it back to dealer and see if they can order one for ya.
I'm wearing racing boots. :)

Bike is actually a 2009 so no warranty but I just changed the rubber piece 2000km ago, so was surprised to see the insane wear on it!

Deathdiesel

Nevermind then, I'm gunna guess defective rubber on it. Unless your wearing track shoes, with metal spikes in them, you shouldnt be wearing near that much.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

BKP

I don't see it as a big deal at all. I'm at close to 13k, and mine's worn more than that. I wear A* SMX 5, and Speed 'n Strength's Moment of Truth boots, neither of which have extreme abrasive souls (or "soles" even...).

I'm sure there are multiple factors to how fast it will wear: how hard you step on the brake; do you let your foot slide off, or lift it off; how often you actually *use* the rear brake, etc. I doubt it's "defective rubber."

Bottom line, it'll wear differently for everyone depending on personal riding habits. As someone else already commented it's a cheap replacement, and nothing to lose sleep over...

Bert-Aus

Meh, my ride is around 16K km's and it has worn to suit my foot placement,
other than that it's ok, may need to change in another 10k km's

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member
Last edited: