Freedom

Parcho

So I finally got the balls to quit my job today. I've been getting more and more miserable for the past couple of years. The job's just been turning me into a synical ass hole. And frankly, I hate who I've become. Finally figured it was time for me to go when I almost explode at clients on a daily basis.

One of the toughest decisions I've had to make in a long time. Thankfully my wife supports me, but oddly enough she works at the same account. So as much as I wish ill will on the account, I hope she doesn't receive any flack for my departure. Even though I know my departure will make her job 20 times harder since the department she now has to rely on heavily has no leadership, and sub par workers.

My employer has been trying all day to give me offers to stay. I felt bad when my boss started crying, but I've been using their shock factor to get my co-workers better pay / treatment / attention. I feel so good, it's like I just lost my virginity or something. Its such a refershing feeling to not have all of the stress on my shoulders any longer.

Not exactly sure why, but just felt like sharing. It will difinately give me time to ride once this tropical storm is gone. Maybe road trip it up to Wisconsin for a couple weeks.

CrazyCawi

Proud of you, it takes A LOT OF COURAGE to do that. Would you mind telling us what you used to do?

Thanks for sharing, thats what keeps us all family and human :)

Parcho

Proud of you, it takes A LOT OF COURAGE to do that. Would you mind telling us what you used to do?

Thanks for sharing, thats what keeps us all family and human :)
I lead a design team for an account that services a corporation of hospitals in Southeast US / England. Basically I would communicate with the marketing directors to see what their hospitals marketing goals were. Then I'd help them achieve those goals through the design services we offered or design it for them and contract out the production aspect. All the way from a small ad in a magazine to a redesign of a whole department.

My second largest duty was to convince the East Florida Division (14 hospitals) to pick us up on a larger contract for marketing. So basically be a yes man, and figure it out no matter what they ask. They just verbally agreed to the new contract today (go figure).

I'd then also help develop and update processes to improve work flow and efficiency between the design department and production / finishing. Hire new designers. Train new hires or current employees on new software. Design new concepts while maintaining the hospitals corporate identity. Preflight jobs for print etc.

CrazyCawi

did you meet your wife in the company or was that coincidence?

Parcho

did you meet your wife in the company or was that coincidence?
She was a manager at Linen's & Things when they closed. I had worked at this account for about 6 months or so. My wife (girlfriend at the time) needed a job and my boss needed someone to fill a vacant forms coordinator position. It was different departments and we wouldn't be making any decisions that would affect one another so it wasn't against company policy.

We both have really strong work ethics so it was business at work, and we'd vent on the way home. Once we got home, work talk was off limits.

CrazyCawi

thats so cool, you guys seem like a great pair being able to do that

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Parcho

Thanks butler. I kind of feel like a jerk for talking about quitting my job when I know a lot of people out there are struggling to just land one. I'm confident I can freelance until an opportunity comes. And if not, my wife's income will prevent us from going homeless. I've accepted worse case scenarios and I know what I'm willing to do to provide for my family if it comes to it. I'd much rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable.

CrazyCawi

I commend that! That is an incredible mindset sir

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

BoneJj

Thanks butler. I kind of feel like a jerk for talking about quitting my job when I know a lot of people out there are struggling to just land one. I'm confident I can freelance until an opportunity comes. And if not, my wife's income will prevent us from going homeless. I've accepted worse case scenarios and I know what I'm willing to do to provide for my family if it comes to it. I'd much rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable.
Yeah really... I'm out of a job right now... Got laid off, how dare you.... LOL. i keed.

Seriously though, I've one the same thing in the past. I worked in a hospital that had such poor management that I finally turned in my resignation and vented all my gripes in said letter. Next thing I knew I was in front of the administrator of the hospital asking me about all these issues. They actually wanted me to change my letter stating they couldn't put it on file. LOL. I said well you have no choice because I'm not changing it. They even tried to bribe me with a big severance check. Needless to say shortly after I left a lot of people got fired because there was a huge investigation, lol.

If you have morals it's a Son of a gun to work for others that don't... You have to stick up for what you believe and can't waiver from it. Without morals we all would be in much worse situations.

MustGoFaster

Parcho, I did the same thing last August. Decided I'd had enough of my boss's crap and put my two weeks notice in without having another job lined up. Despite that fact, I knew it was the right decision and was so relieved to be out of that situation. It did take longer than I'd have liked to find another job, but considering my new job resulted in a 50% pay increase, I definitely made the right decision.

I'm sure with your skill set, you'll land on your feet in no time. Good luck, and I wish you success and happiness in your next job.
Ditto to both of y'all. I'd been at the same job for 5 years, hardly any raises or promotions. Finally, after talking to my boss several times about certain issues, I said eff it. Granted, I had a second job at the time, so I just concentrated more on that one, but I still understand. Wife was totally behind me on it, and now I don't have to come home and pound a few shots to get the stress level down. I just quit smoking, too.

The moral is, dying for your job ain't worth it. Life's too short, but happy. :D

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member