Forks

6R Blackout

I think I want to paint my front forks black instead of the silver color that they are now. I saw someone on here with a picture from the summer they called it and there forks were black. My bike is black and I kinda dont like the silver color. Has anyone done this, and is it even possible?:confused::don'tknow: Thanks

I've thought about painting mine, but i'm to scared of messing it up lol

I also want to paint my handle bars but I would never get them back in the right position probably :S lol

Reflective tape

I was actually thinking today (oops, try not to do that too much), that black reflective tape as a wrap instead of painting? Would be black during the day, but reflective at night... maybe too much though?

thoughts?

Hey Dart tell me more about this "tape". Where can I get it?:sinister:

The yellow model already has the forks painted black.

I also want to paint my handle bars but I would never get them back in the right position probably :S lol

I just finished installing a new handlebar. Pretty easy if you just take your time. You will find under the clamp that the bar is "scored" for grip considerations and this will center your bar after paint. Measure from the end of the bar where the respective clamps begin, then dismantle and paint away. The main switch housings have a pin that fits a drilled hole in the bar, so this will go back to the same spot. You can spin and move the other clamps some to fit your hand better as there is some room to adjust. Just check your clearances when turning lock to lock to be sure everything is free and tighten evenly.

Painting is not that difficult, and can be done fairly cheaply. If I can do it, anyone can. They key is prep. If you are concerned about the paint adhering, NAPA has what is called an 'etching primer'. It applies well, and a single stage paint will work well. You just need a clean, dry, warm place to paint. I bought a cheap gravity paint sprayer from Harbor Freight, for about 15 dollars. NAPA gave me a printout of what PSI to set the sprayer at, and what ratios to mix the color, the hardener and the thinner at. Make sure that you have no water in your air compressor, or a dryer attached to separate the water.

As for setting the handlebar location. I use a small punch, and indent the bars slightly, aligning them with the clamps before I remove them. Paint or no paint, you just align the punch marks and you will have them back exactly where they were before. Make sure you wipe down the item with denatured alcohol prior to application of either primer or paint and do not touch the item with bare hands right before you paint.

Hope this helps.

Here is a quad frame with the etching primer.
IMAG0170.jpg

And here is the same day, after applying the paint.
IMAG0171.jpg

Last edited:
Normally when I spray paint a thing on a vehicle or something that I want to take it off of if I trade it in, I'll get "Plasti-dip" which is a spray paint that washes off with some soap and water. I'll lay that down then spray my colored paint over it so that my spray paint will just come right off in minutes. Which Plastidip is flat black, so I could just lay down a couple coats of that on the forks and if I mess up just wash it off. I think I will do that now :) lol

I have not tried using that black reflective tape on a fork before. However I have used it on the rear of my panniers on another bike. It works pretty good, I like how the black bags appear black all the time during the day. I don't think it will work well for a fork though. The tape isn't very flexible in more then one plane, so when you got to the top of the fork where it flares out, you'll have a problem. Cool idea though, it would be a big benefit to those who work off shifts, and rides in the dark a lot. If you really want to get the black effect and still use the tape, I'm sure it would be possible to paint the forks black, then add the tape after. As stated earlier, painting isn't that hard. If your thinking of painting the forks flat/satin black, you won't even need a spray gun. Napa sells the same paint in spray cans, that you would buy in quarts and gallons. They have a good tip, and will spray flat/satin black well. The drawback to using spray cans instead of a gun is the lack of ability to use additives in your paint. For a color other then flat/satin black I would probably use a spray gun. Looks like the stock fork is painted already, the silver paint seems to adhere well. Giving it a real good cleaning with grease and wax remover should be all you need to prep the forks. The finish is textured, so paint should adhere well.

I just finished installing a new handlebar. Pretty easy if you just take your time. You will find under the clamp that the bar is "scored" for grip considerations and this will center your bar after paint. Measure from the end of the bar where the respective clamps begin, then dismantle and paint away. The main switch housings have a pin that fits a drilled hole in the bar, so this will go back to the same spot. You can spin and move the other clamps some to fit your hand better as there is some room to adjust. Just check your clearances when turning lock to lock to be sure everything is free and tighten evenly.

Not trying to hijack....but you gonna post up about what handlebars and pics, Joe???

Going to plasti-dip my forks come spring time, when its warm enough to get out of the damn house! Plasti dip is great stuff and if you dont like it or trade the bike in, just peel it off. It peels off like latex peeling off any object

Not trying to hijack....but you gonna post up about what handlebars and pics, Joe???

I'll try for the pic, might need help though. I got the LSL superbike bar from Motostrano. (They are on sale now!) Stock location, full clearance, no problems with brake lines, wiring, or mirrors. (2 hours to get everything right on install, once you drill them=yours forever.)

I never noticed that the forks on the other models weren't black already. I have the Yellow bike and mine is all black. I was like..>WTF? Paint it black...it's already black.

It's DEFINITELY possible, but just make sure you do it right and take your time, use really good paint, ect.

I've thought about painting mine for a long time! I hate the silver forks......I don't understand why they would put that on a Raven Scheme bike either, but that isn't my job either! I think I'm going to get it painted with my Tax return.......I definitely won't be doing it though! Paint looks to good to screw up...........I'm assuming Maaco can do it! Thats where I will take mine, unless they ask for a retarded price!

Last edited:
Yes, now i do have the silver handlebar...which i HATE which a passion. Doesn't the white bike also have black forks and a silver bar?

True...i guess i'm afraid to paint and it not last very long. This is probably the same reason that others haven't painted their forks yet with a cheap paint job. The Economy is really not being that nice to us all right now. LOL

Back