Cost for first service

I just got quoted $225.00 yesteday from my Yamaha dealer which is for 2 hours labor and parts, so it seems like a fair price to me. One thing he told me was they use bulk oil and not the Yamalube quarts they have in stock. I forgot to ask if it was bulk yamalube, I'll ask next time I pass by.

2 hours labor?...it takes less than 20 minutes do do the service and there aren't any parts....

2 hours labor?...it takes less than 20 minutes do do the service and there aren't any parts....

He said $178.00 labor and the rest is for oil, oil filter, cable and chain lube. Remember all shops have time allocated to do a service and even if it takes them 20 minutes the book states 2 hours so thats what they have to charge.

I just got quoted $225.00 yesteday from my Yamaha dealer which is for 2 hours labor and parts, so it seems like a fair price to me. One thing he told me was they use bulk oil and not the Yamalube quarts they have in stock. I forgot to ask if it was bulk yamalube, I'll ask next time I pass by.

That's about the standard $90 hr/labor with parts, but why don't you do the oil change yourself and save that $180? It only takes about 15-20 mins to change. And, then go over your bike and make sure everything looks tight/adjusted. That's all they're gonna do.

He said $178.00 labor and the rest is for oil, oil filter, cable and chain lube. Remember all shops have time allocated to do a service and even if it takes them 20 minutes the book states 2 hours so thats what they have to charge.

They don't do a chain lube at 300 miles and there isn't a cable to replace or lube either. So $42.00 for 3 quarts of oil and a filter....

Also the lowest flunkie can do this work as it does not entail chassis work (installing frame sliders) or engine tuning.
Is this the 600 mile service where they are supposed to sync the throttle bodies?

14.00 for K&N filter
8.00 per qt Motul 10-40 non-syn
$38.00 for the most expensive oil and filter available....Cyclegear.com

This is why my bike will not go to a dealership unless it's a warranty issue.

Last edited:
That's about the standard $90 hr/labor with parts, but why don't you do the oil change yourself and save that $180? It only takes about 15-20 mins to change. And, then go over your bike and make sure everything looks tight/adjusted. That's all they're gonna do.

Roaddawg, That's what I plan to do just wanted to get a quote since this is my first bike. The oil change I can handle, just got to check the owners manual again and see what else yamaha says to do at 600 miles. All dealers are rip offs with that labor rate charge and the time the book states to complete a job. Got the bike with the 5 year warranty just hope I'll never have to use it.

Roaddawg, That's what I plan to do just wanted to get a quote since this is my first bike. The oil change I can handle, just got to check the owners manual again and see what else yamaha says to do at 600 miles. All dealers are rip offs with that labor rate charge and the time the book states to complete a job. Got the bike with the 5 year warranty just hope I'll never have to use it.

Yamaha's have a good reputation for quality and I doubt you will ever have a problem that requires warranty service.
The throttle body sync is a 600 mile service check so either get with a friend that has the tool, buy one or pay big $$ for the dealer to do it. I think it is the only part of the 600 mile service that requires anything special.
Ride safe and have fun on that lil bike.

Yamaha's have a good reputation for quality and I doubt you will ever have a problem that requires warranty service.
The throttle body sync is a 600 mile service check so either get with a friend that has the tool, buy one or pay big $$ for the dealer to do it. I think it is the only part of the 600 mile service that requires anything special.
Ride safe and have fun on that lil bike.

Over 17K and have yet to sync the throttle bodies.

The dealership where I bought the bike quoted my first service at $415 (plus parts). I called around and found another Yamaha dealer who quoted me $205. I feel better taking the bike to a professional to have the first check, but I'll likely be doing the rest myself.

At 12-13k I did... my video is up for the results.... they weren't off by much, but it made a world of difference. Can't hurt to check it out, it's an hour or two job tops.

I'm totally anal about tuning. My last fast bike had dual points that I had to adjust 2 times a week to keep it running perfect. I adjusted the carb sync at least once every 2 weeks, the valves every month and the chain weekly.

I have just under 1600 miles and will probably check the TB sync again on Sunday (3rd time)...engine runs smooth as silk...

The dealership where I bought the bike quoted my first service at $415 (plus parts). I called around and found another Yamaha dealer who quoted me $205. I feel better taking the bike to a professional to have the first check, but I'll likely be doing the rest myself.

hahaha....I like how those "professional" were trying to stiff you out $415+parts!!! For a $35 actual service none the less....

I paid $125 for my breakin checkup at the dealer.. and they did it while I waited.. took them about 2 hours

Throttle Body Sync

Is there a reason that the throttle bodies would be out of sync at just 1000 miles on a brand new bike?

I got mine done for $195. Not bad, but its the only service that the bike will get done at the dealer.

Just got mine done. $175 CAN. I was pleasantly surprised as the salesman told me it would be $350 when I bought the bike. I was prepared to argue the $350 quote. I waited while the work was done and it only took 1.5 hours.

$125. Great dealership. My salesman is a riding buddy of mine & they do all the service work on my sleds & bikes. The service guys are great & do a bunch of stuff for me without paying all the time so paying once in awhile is ok with me.

just got my 600 milles service today call a Yamaha dealer asked $270 but at Moto MD in Van Nuys CA got it done for $80, motul semi 10-40 k&n oil filter chain adj & lube they went over the whole bike change tires air pressure, adj clutch cable freeplay & adjust levers position, i think it's a reasonable price i was back on riding in less than 1 hr.

Back