Cost for first service

Ooter

Just wondering what others are getting charged for the first service (600 miles) from the dealer. Mine quoted me $225 which seems steep for an oil change and general tightening and lubing

A

AJ_rider

Sounds about right, save some time and do it yourself or get used to the high price of service costs.

Ooter

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I used to do the basic maintenance of my last bike. But now I live in the city and park in a big parking garage with a policy against working on your vehicle - very lame indeed :)

r0bot

Hey Ooter, I just got my FZ6R 600 mile done at a local dealer, cost came out to $212.07

cbzdel

Mine quoted me $175 when I asked about it when I bought the bike, I went home and found a service manual for $70 bucks on ebay :thumbup:

B

Bruce McCrary

With labor rates anywhere from $60 to $100 an hour for labor it doesn't take long to rack up a big bill in just labor costs...

The warranty will still be in effect if you do it yourself. Just hang on to the reciept showing where you used oil(s) that met specifications and your good to go, if it should ever be called into question. Which is doubtful.

Bruce

T

thulst

When I bought the bike I managed to get the first service included in the price. More dealer do this, only sometimes you have to pay for the oil.
It doesn't take longer than half an hour.

L

Less

Ooter, I just had mine done on the FZ6 for $111.00 right here in Shrewsbury. They had quoted me $120-$130. I don't know if it's more difficult on the FZ6R with the fairings?? They did the oil and filter change which came to about $33 in parts (3qts of oil and filter, I beleive the oil was $5/qt and the filter $18) and they charged me an hour labor @ $72.00.

The hour labor also included adjusting and lubing the chain and all the cables, going over all of the bolts and fastners to make sure they were tight and a general inspection of the fluid levels ( brake and radiator). Plus just a good old once over vusually. And they did it by appointmetn on a Saturday afternoon while I waited. I thought this was very fair.

Not sure what else they could do for your quote of $225. It can't take more than an hour - hour 1/2 to do it all. They did some of the cable adjusting and lubing while the oil drained, so it's not one item at a time. Even 1 1/2hrs would have only been another $36 or a total of $150.00. Get a detailed quote on parts and labor and compare it.

C

coursonap

My first service was about $65. The dealership Where I bought mine if you bring the survey you get in the mail from yamaha into them so they can mail it for you they give you one hell of a deal on your first service.

C

champion221elite

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I used to do the basic maintenance of my last bike. But now I live in the city and park in a big parking garage with a policy against working on your vehicle - very lame indeed :)

Do you have any friends or family nearby that will allow you to use their garage for maintaining your bike? If so, I would purchase a service manual for your bike and do your own work. Hell, if you lived closer to Michigan I'd let you use my garage.

MNDZA

My first service and GYTR filter install was 265.

C

chunkygoat

My first and 2nd services where both "free" - or should I say, included in the price of the bike.

The deal I was given by the local Yamaha dealer was that if I bought the $400 warranty, I would be given 2 helmets, a jacket, gloves, and the first 2 services free.

Sounded like a bargain to me, except that the warranty is completely useless after you start modding anything other than cosmetics. I'd have spent more than $400 on the gear alone, let alone the 2 services. I feel like I made out well.

You can be surprised what you can finagle out of the dealers, a free bike wash and a tank of gas is an absolute must.

fz6rwolf

Mine was $135, less than what I had figured for it at Razees in North Kingston, RI.

xplodnstar

Mine was about $200. Mostly labor costs. I don't mind it on the first service I want that one to be done right for sure, but I'm doing most everything else myself. I'll probably take it in every 3rd service or so just so they can check the bike for things I don't know to look for.

phantomxc

My dealership also threw in the first service with the extended warranty. I plan on doing the remaining service and maybe bringing it in every 3 or so as xplodnstar

lilfuzz

The first 6 scheduled maintences were included in my purchase.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
$160 for my first service. I plan to do most my own maintenance from here on out...as soon as I can decide on some bike stands...:rolleyes:

Although, I do like the idea of having the dealer do every 3rd service.:thumbup:

J

jpintozzi

$300+ for mine. Felt totally gouged by the dealer. :Flip:

Here on out I plan on doing all the maint myself.

cbzdel

Is the first service really different from the rest? It seems like alot of people have the first service done at the dealer then do the rest on their own.. Is it wise to have a pro look at it after 600 miles just to verify everything is ok? I planned on doing 100% of everything myself, but this post has got me thinking..