considering the FZ6R - need advice

peanuts017

Hi,
I have been riding for a little more than a year now. I bought a 2010 Honda Shadow RS last summer and I don't really like it. There isn't much suspension on that bike, no windjammer, a little top heavy and a bit tall (the RS is 29.5" with a large seat so I'm not totally flat footed).
I started looking for another bike and realized I didn't want a custom/cruiser.
Since I am height challenged (5'2" and 28" inseam) I first narrowed my choices to a bike below 800mm (31.5") so that by lowering by 2 inch shouldn't effect to much the bike.
Here are my thoughts on each
BMW G650GS : didn't see one in real life, but really like the look!
Honda CB500F : didn't see one in real life, but a windshield is definitely missing...
Honda CBR500R : sat on one, a little bit too much forward sitting position...
Honda NC700SA : sat on one, I liked it, loved the place to put stuff, seems like the weight is low, but would have to change the windshield
Kawasaki ER6N 2010 and 2011 for the seat height : no windshield at all
Suzuki GSX650F : felt heavy and the seat is wider than the others so even though its shorter (770mm-30.3") I was not comfortable.
Suzuki SFV650 Gladius : no windshield at all and when standing the pegs were in the way.
Yamaha FZ6R : I didn't like the look, but I felt good sitting on it. Were is the weight on that bike? is it easy to drive at slow pace? I NEED SOME PROS AND CONS TO MAKE MY DECISION EASIER

Since most of the dealership I went to didn't have the models I liked in demo (with the battery and gas) I didn't have the chance to try any of these

To me the downfall of the fz6r is the suspension. Overall the bike is pretty solid.

I'm 5'8 at 163lbs and the bike is great in terms of balance speed and wind protection (I ride tucked in if over 60mph). I would suggest try looking at the 650 ninja too.

Anyways good luck!

Peanut, I tried to follow all that you said & will make it somewhat simple.

As you said the FZ6R is comfortable. That is what is important is that you are comfortable sitting on the bike first & foremost. As far as the weight it's proportioned well so you don't feel it like you would think.

The Pro:s
Good gas milage, good power band, looks sporty, inline 4 is way smoother than any twin, adjustable seat height, affordable, on & on & on..

The Con's:
Stock exhaust & it's not as fast as my Hayabusa :)

Welcome to the forum :)

Thanks!

By the way, your cons wouldn't make me want the bike less ... I don't like speed nor noise ;)

Last edited:
peanuts017 - welcome!

I went through the EXACT same list of questions a few months ago and ended up with the FZ6R as my first bike.

I'm 40, 5'8, but 31" inseam, and am not comfortable on tall bikes (such as adv/enduro or dual-sport bikes).

I wanted wind protection as this is my daily driver (naked bikes were out for me - TOO MUCH WORK fighting the wind all the time).

I also wanted a smooth inline-4 or a triple, rather than a twin, unless it was a 250/300cc engine (I was afraid of anything more powerful).

That said, the FZ6R was "just right" for me:
  • Windscreen + fairing (I actually replaced the front windscreen for a slightly larger ZeroGravity Sport Touring windscreen (about $80) which smooths out the airflow and dramatically reduces buffeting above 60 mph / 100 kph).
  • Upright / comfortable ergonomics & controls (more of a "standard" position vs. race/RR or cruiser position), and ability to place feet on ground (vs. just tippy toes)
  • Not too heavy (470 lbs)
  • Not too LIGHT either! (TOO light makes it too jittery and less solid/stable for longer cruises, and more easily pushed around side-to-side by wind on the freeway/highway)
  • Enough power to cruise comfortably at 65-75 mph (600cc, 69 hp, 44 ft-lbs torque) (a 250/300cc starts to get really "buzzy" at those speeds)
  • Not TOO much power that I hurt myself (detuned 600 cc engine that is more gas-friendly and more torque-friendly)
  • Not too expensive (budget-friendly, especially if I drop it, which I knew would just break my heart, which I've done 4 times in the garage and parking lot - thank goodness for Shogun no-cut frame sliders!)
  • Not too wide (otherwise wouldn't be able to fit between cars when splitting lanes or coming up to stop lights)
  • Reliable (it's a Yamaha)
  • Easy to service (it's a Yamaha)
  • Strong rider community and after-market community
  • Fun performance when I want to ride in the mountains/canyons
  • Forgiving manners for a newbie (clutch is among the easiest I've ever operated, as are the shift lever and other controls)
  • "cool" look

The last 3.5 months have been some of the most enjoyable of my life.

Good luck in making a decision that makes YOU happy!

There are several excellent bikes in that list, but only one full-fairing in-line 4 600cc comfortable/upright standard-but-sporty bike in the world right now.

(Besides... this forum is easily one of the coolest group of motoheads in the internet!)

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/maiden-voyage-stormtrooper-speeder-n00b-pilot-28708/

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/so-i-have-few-questions-28713/

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/i-hate-bugs-28743/

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/wasp-28988/

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f6/smokin-out-commute-29013/

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f6/banks-liquor-stores-really-dont-like-29164/

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/stuck-riding-behind-diesel-garbage-truck-single-lane-road-29199/

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/chewing-gum-while-wearing-full-face-helmet-29562/

Cheers!

Thanks, that's a lot of information.

But it seems like the more I read the more I'm confused.

I know that we all have our opinions, but I read on many posts here that people had an issue with the clutch ... and then, people say it's so easy to handle ... I'm starting to wonder if the difference isn't due to the difference in years (say 2009 vs 2013). Also, many people say it's heavy top but then other people say otherwise.
As a beginner and a 40 year old woman, I want a comfortable bike that will be fun to drive on sundays while cruising. I don't want noise, nor a fast bike. I just want to be able to go on the highway and still be at ease.

Peanuts,
I suggest you narrow your search to bikes that do not need to be lowered. Giving up 2 inches of the FZ6R's travel brings it down to "cruiser territory" of only 3 inches of travel.
Anson

Peanuts,
I suggest you narrow your search to bikes that do not need to be lowered. Giving up 2 inches of the FZ6R's travel brings it down to "cruiser territory" of only 3 inches of travel.
Anson

I understand your advice but I don't think I will be the first short people to lower the FZ6R. Since it's already 30.9 and I need 29.5, it will only be 1 1/2".

I looked at all the bikes on the market ... and I mean ALL. None of the non-cruiser fit me stock. And I just don't want to stick with a cruiser. :(

peanuts017 - sorry to confuse you! :(

But please allow me to confuse you EVEN MORE!!! LOL! (It's what I'm best at!) :D

According to sales stats, about 1 in 10 purchasers of the FZ6R is a woman.

Check out these EXCELLENT comparison tests, especially the video reviews of each bike:

2012 Women's cruiser comparison: 2012 Women's Cruiser Shootout - Motorcycle USA

2012 Women's street bike comparison: 2012 Women's Street Bike Shootout - Motorcycle USA

2012 Women's review of FZ6R: 2012 Yamaha FZ6R Comparison - Motorcycle USA

My sweetheart is also in her 40's, about to take her motorcycle endorsement test (we completed the safety course a few months ago), and is currently looking at the following sport-bike type of motorcyles:
  • FZ6R
  • Ninja 300 (twin, right size, not too heavy, but a bit underpowered for highway travel)
  • CBR250 (single (noisy), right size, not too heavy, but underpowered for highway travel)
  • CBR500 (twin, nice size, strong contender)
  • Ducati 696 (twin, a bit loud (she loves exhaust sound of Ducati's), naked bike - a totally different option to the above, apples vs. oranges, but she likes oranges as well as apples and isn't sure what flavor she wants yet)

(She's also looking at standard motorcycles, like the Shadow, Boulevard, etc., but you mentioned in your original post that you'd prefer to have something different from a cruiser-type bike.)

Cheers!

In my obsessive research I had come across those reviews, thanks!

I just wish I could walk into a dealership and try all the models that I like and compare them on site.

In my obsessive research I had come across those reviews, thanks!

I just wish I could walk into a dealership and try all the models that I like and compare them on site.

Sit and/or test drive as many as you can. It might be frustrating to have to wait a week or two more but getting one that you like/fits you well is going to be worth the wait.

Peanuts,

I too spent 6 months researching my options, test rode ER650N, ER650F (ninja variant), R6, FZ6, SV650.

Had thought I was going to go with the ER650N until riding it.

Hadn't even looked at the FZ6R or XJ6S (my mid fairing equivilent) until one day said to myself if I dont buy a moto today I going to go nuts

Wallked into the Yammie dealer, old friend happened to be working there, so I hung out for a while, my wife spotted the XJ6S, it ticked all boxes for me and said F@#$ it, handed over the cash. Done, rode her home that evening after delivery checks.

Haven't regretted that since,
we have been together now 2 1/2 years and we don't argue,
the feels get better every time I ride her and there are always more mods that can be done
...and she don't complain when I tell her how much better she looks now to when we first met:D

Last edited:

Back