Cold Tires and commuting

Bert-Aus

Gentle reminder to take it easy out there,

this morning I almost threw myself off my ride by accelerating to hard from a T junction:eek:

Just gave it a little too much throttle mid turn and the back end stepped out,
it threw me around (semi-high-side like), but no bad outcomes.

Easy outcome from cold tires and too much throttle during a turn

Have to slap myself for being stupid.:(

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

MistahT

Mistah T
Elite Member

EsrTek

I learned that lesson on mine one morning taking off while being pissed at wife.
As I went left out of driveway, hit it too hard and had a real fast pucker moment.

Cerebus

As a new rider, what are you supposed to do in this circumstance? This isn't something that was covered in my BRC.

EsrTek

Kinda of depends .. but most times if you *** slides from too much throttle.
You keep the throttle open in same position until slide stops (dirt bikes help hone this).
Chopping the throttle to off position, may cause a highside.

Riccochet

Kinda of depends .. but most times if you *** slides from too much throttle.
You keep the throttle open in same position until slide stops (dirt bikes help hone this).
Chopping the throttle to off position, may cause a highside.
This. I just stay on the gas until it grabs. Riding dirt bikes really helps.

Bert-Aus

Cheers for the empathy,

According to the weather here it was around 8c (46F) about the time it happened, so by Sth Aus standards, that is pretty chilly.

Had a look at my rear tire upon leaving work, the marks left on the tread were showing obvious signs of slip almost all the way to the tire edge!
Which means she layed over a fair way, as Esrtek puts it a 'pucker moment' for sure.

Going to be wet still for weekend, so it will back to IOMTT dvd's & catching up on MotoGP sessions from the last few weeks;-)

rregal

"Tire grip and temperature are proportional.”

I felt my front tire slide on a turn during my morning commute this past January and it really scared me. Lucky for me the bike recovered.
At 01:27:30 on the Twist of the Wrist ll DVD Keith Code says:
“Overriding the grip of new or cold tires is a classic novice riding error. Even at modest lean angles and speed a cool tire on a cool day can surprise you when you first go out. It doesn’t take much to slide. Tire grip and temperature are proportional.”

Last edited: