Clutch Recommendations

jacobg98

I've had my 2012 FZ6R for about a month now, and I've been loving it! It's been getting me to and from work (about 40 miles round trip) very reliably every day. But today I got about 15 minutes into my commute when the clutch started slipping. I pulled over to look over the clutch cable and make sure the lever was properly adjusted, but it didn't make any difference. On the way home I confirmed it only slips under load. It seemed to cruise okay, but I had to accelerate from stops pretty gingerly. I put in some Maxima 10W-50 (this is the weight recommended by Yamaha for ambient temps above 110F) full-synthetic motorcycle oil about 5 days/150 miles ago. Idk if that could be the problem, but I would think I would have had problems sooner if the oil were at fault. But this is my first time having problems with a wet clutch.

Anyway, now I'm looking at clutches and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend. This is mostly a commuter bike, so I don't need anything crazy high performance (nor can I afford it), but I wouldn't mind an upgrade over OEM. I just want something that works with full-synthetic oil.

Thanks for your help!

jjmaine

IMO anything other than oem clutch plates would be a downgrade for everyday riding at least. That’s just my opinion but there are a few things I would always replace with oem if possible and the clutch is one of them.