Chain Lube

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

I'm a fan of Maxima Chain Wax and also Honda HP Pro lube.

recently I've heard/seen Lucas Oil Chain Lube and intend to give it a try

daddyrack

Premium Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

it lubes the o-ring(s) well I take it findmadhav? lolz

Sparkxx1

Wd40

put it on every other week and forget about it. Self-cleans
Please tell me you're joking? If I'm not mistaken WD40 is more of a degreaser. It might lubricate short term, but it doesn't do an adequate job. Get yourself some Motul. Use the WD40 to clean right before the Motul chain lubricant. Plus some argue that WD-40 does something to the O-rings or something eek!

MC: Any thoughts on the use of WD-40 as a chain lube for O-ring chains?
PJH: Whether it's WD-40 or LPS3, a motorcycle chain has such demands on it, and one of them is absorbing shock, whether it's between the sprockets and the chain, or whether it's between the internal parts of the chain. And WD-40 doesn't have that, it's not designed for that purpose, it's not formulated for that.

Read more: How to Lube Your Motorcycle Chain

Not to be lewd, but just because it's a lubricant doesn't mean you use it on your...ehm, friend.

Last edited:

AngryAnt

I've been using the dupont stuff, not knowing any better. I've been to a couple auto parts stores and haven't seen it, anybody know of any particular place Motul can be found without ordering it and waiting a week?

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/355943-dupont-teflon-chain-lube-3.html

Just one of many search results that say people don't seem to have any o ring problems with the dupont stuff. I think people get a little worked up over lube / oil choices, but then again I'm not mechanically inclined, sooooo...don't take my word on it.

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Deanohh

If you are not a WD40 user, nothing can convince you to use it. If you are a WD40 user, nothing can convince you not to use it. Thats just the way it is. Personally,
nobody could ever convince me to use it and I never use it on anything, but have given up on telling anyone why... its pointless.

Sparkxx1

I've been using the dupont stuff, not knowing any better. I've been to a couple auto parts stores and haven't seen it, anybody know of any particular place Motul can be found without ordering it and waiting a week?

DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - Page 3 - Sportbikes.net

Just one of many search results that say people don't seem to have any o ring problems with the dupont stuff. I think people get a little worked up over lube / oil choices, but then again I'm not mechanically inclined, sooooo...don't take my word on it.
I have a motorcycle shop in my area who sells it. I wouldn't really know where you live, but I guess you could call around. =\

I put around 25k on my stock chain... cleaned with kerosene and lubed with the DuPont Teflon Multi -Use Wax (o-ring safe). not the chain saver, never could find it... but the stuff from lowes... it is formulated the same, but the chain saver has a little more of something (Teflon and moly... according to link) specifically for chains....

DuPont Teflon Chain Saver - DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld

just the voice of experience here... take it or leave it :)
I wouldn't mind using that.

I've actually been using Bel Rays white lube stuff, but it leaves behind a gross residue. Since it has rained all week and I'm just about out of chain lube, I think I'll go pick up two can of Motul cleaner and lube.

If only the pro-oiler system wasn't expensive :D

Last edited:

frelay

Castrol Chain Lube. Cheap and seems to perform OK. No issues with ir and available almost everywhere for cheap.

Invader Jim

I put around 25k on my stock chain... cleaned with kerosene and lubed with the DuPont Teflon Multi -Use Wax (o-ring safe). not the chain saver, never could find it... but the stuff from lowes... it is formulated the same, but the chain saver has a little more of something (Teflon and moly... according to link) specifically for chains....
Are you still using the stuff from Lowes? If so how often do you use it? I only have 2K on my bike but have been using it. It is cheap, easy to apply, and seems to work well. I have applied it every 500-600 miles.

It is $7 on [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Dupont-Multi-Use-Lubricant-oz-Spray/dp/B000GL19TY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1340453689&sr=8-2&keywords=dupont+teflon]Amazon.com: Dupont Multi-Use Lubricant 11 oz. Spray: Automotive[/ame] but I got mine at Lowes for $5.

P.S. I sprayed it in a little combo lock because the three number selectors were getting sticky and it cleared it up immediately. The numbers now turn better than when it was new.