Car tire on a motorcycle...?

TokenSSDD

My sister's piano teacher came into where I work today and we got to talking about riding (he has a cruiser). He told me he managed to put a car tire on the back of his bike and it improved his handling considerably. He also said it wears out A LOT slower than your standard bike tire, which I guess is to be expected. But still... Has anyone ever heard of this being done?

iSpoolin

Fuck no.

Car tires are made to stay flat, you couldn't lean a bike on that. Either that guy is seriously retarded, or he's lying. I'm guessing he's lying.

ajskillz13

My dad has done it on his Goldwing. No, it will not improve handling... it's only done for the increased life. He said it is a little weird and takes some getting used to leaning it. The main difference is how you return to flat in the middle.

It is a big deal among big touring bikers. They call it going to "the dark side".

raybob

Some of the Goldwingers do this. They call themselves "darksiders".

Goldwing Tech

As for making it handle better, well, he's a cruiser rider with a car tire. Who cares?

Bob

TokenSSDD

I thought it was... interesting, to say the least.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

That is the stupidest thing I've heard yet. I 've heard of people doing some idiotic things to and while riding their bike, but this takes the cake.

CrazyCawi

trikes have always had car tires in the rear? lol

Chucker

Trikes don't lean. They're more like a 3 wheeled car.

CrazyCawi

yean no I know, Im just sayin thats where the conversion comes from to do it

I assume they lower the pressure of the tire so it has flex

CrazyCawi

the only thing that comes to mind with this is...cheap asses

lol

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Sparkxx1

i do believe a guy did this to his bike a few years back around my area, he thought it would be a good idea to take his bike down skyline drive (over the mountain) and he crashed and died. my guess to it is that since a car tire is not meant to move or stick quite like a motorcycle tire they just dont get as good of a grip on windy roads... the only time a car tire is using the "outside" toe or "heel" (camber) is when they are off balance or what not... it means they are wearing wrong.. so IMO it can not be good to put a car tire on a bike..
First thought when I saw this thread. FFS think of the consequences O_O

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member