Car Mod Question...

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Spunky99

I have a 4.2 mile drive to work. My truck gets 14 to 15 mph because it is cold almost the whole time. On longer trips around town I get 15 to 17 mph and 22 to 23 on the freeway.
We don't get winter fuel here in CA so I get this year round. Drove my motorcycle to work today in a summer mesh SS jacket and was warm.

ry-mac75

I have a 4.2 mile drive to work. My truck gets 14 to 15 mph because it is cold almost the whole time. On longer trips around town I get 15 to 17 mph and 22 to 23 on the freeway.
We don't get winter fuel here in CA so I get this year round. Drove my motorcycle to work today in a summer mesh SS jacket and was warm.
hahaha walked to work today with a parka, toque, mitts and boots and damn near froze to death. You are a lucky, lucky man.

iSpoolin

Are you tuned for the intake? It could be the fact that now your Air to fuel ratio if off, that would cause a drastic change in MPG.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

FitZ6R

There, I fixed it for you:

Attachments

FitZ6R

lol Kent! :rof:
But seriously....

Winter fuel, cold temps, and enjoying your new & hopefully improved performance could all cost you a few MPG.

It's possible that there's a vacuum leak or the MAF got contaminated, but I'd expect that would produce other symptoms.

One other thing... are you calculating MPG from actual pump measurements, or do you have an onboard readout? When I installed an intake on my truck, my onboard ScanGauge showed a big increase in MPGs. I was thrilled, until the first fillup when I realized that the fuel consumption calibration had gone way off.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

iSpoolin

No, there's no tune out for the car yet. However, the car is supposed to adapt to the increased airflow automatically.
Yes the GTI motor will adapt to the intake after a while, but i've seen that take anywhere from 100-200 miles. Its safer to get the car tuned when you install the part or tune it yourself. If you were closer to me i'd be glad to tune for you. Running that rich for any amount of miles can cause some damage.

Just don't be rough on it while its adapting and you should be fine though, its just a long and complicated process. LOL Ecspecially in a GTI :thumbup:

Spunky99

Are you sure that CA doesn't have winter blends? I thought I had heard differently, and the Internet seems to think we do as well, but I have no problem believing the Internet is wrong.

I rode in today too.. It was a first for me - really thick fog. Amazing the number of idiots riding without their lights on. My favorite was a silver/gray Mercedes - totally camouflaged in the fog :)
Maybe in the North or in the mountains they have winter blend for the cold climate. In Los Angeles we get summer weather in winter so what would be the point of a winter blend?
Really smoggy today like it was in the 70's...NASTY....
It was 80f at the Torrance Superior Courthouse today.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

iSpoolin

Performance chips are a thing of the past man. Now basically all tuning is done through the OBD2 port via HP Tuners or other similar programmers. I myself use the HPTuners VPM Suite. They cost about 500$ and come with 4 credits (takes to credits to unlock your vehicle but once unlocked you can tune forever) and its really nice to have around. Adjust every parameter of your vehicle with the push of a few buttons. Although if you get it and don't know what your doing then kiss your engine goodbye lol i've seen people do it and its not pretty. Check your GTI Forum for someone that can tune from around you, normal price for someone to tune you via HPtuners is around 200$.