Braided Brake Lines

I got the Galfers. I love the stopping power they added and I would definitely recommend them.

where did you get them from?? and do they offer colors?

They have a set available on EBay for $139.00 and they do come in different colors. The banjos are an additional $20 if you want to change the color.
The last bit of info is not on the description, I had to email the seller for that info but it did take almost a week for him to get an answer back to me.

Since these are turning out to be about the same price as the Spiegler's I'm leaning more this route since they do have the adjustment capability.

If you really want to up your stopping power, change the front disc pads along with the lines. I also installed EBC Sintered pads and the stopping ability is way beyond stock - The stock pads are rated GG. The EBC Sintered are rated HH. I wouldn't recommend doing much with the rear which is rated FF since locking up the backend could easily cause a high side.

You may also want to consider getting speed bleeders for the brakes. They replace the bleeder nipples on each brake caliper. They are fairly cheap ($7.00 each on eBay + $5.00 shipping) and make bleeding the brakes very easy compared to standard method.

where did you get them from?? and do they offer colors?

I special ordered them from Cyclegear. No colors offered, but I thought the plain SS would look good with the white bike.

I too change out my break pads for EBCs. I tried that before the lines and they made a difference, but I wanted a little more. After the SS lines, I could probably do a stoppy without thinking about it. But I think about it so I don't. :p

Here's the Galfer braided lines that I got installed yesterday. I also changed the front pads to the EBC HH rated pads. I didn't know this, but there's a break in period for the pads. Tomorrow, I'll try to hit at least 100 stops signs!:D

Attachments

• IMG_0186.jpg
    IMG_0186.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 121
Has anyone gotten the lines from the Yamaha Accessories page (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/a...l/5/521/2130/17839/all/1/9670/0/detail.aspx)? I recently got a coupon in the mail giving me like $25 off Yamaha stuff, including accessories, so presumably this is included. It's made by Goodridge, which is one of the big names in steel lines. I just haven't seen much about these lines, and whether or not there are any cons to having "race routed" lines if I'm just using the bike for commuting and weekend daytrips.

Thanks,
Roger

I don't know specifically about the Goodridge lines, but some people have gone with the Galfer SS lines. But only do the front lines, not the rear lines if you change them. Also, get new pads as well. I have heard good things about the EBC pads.

Last edited:
now... now you have me confused... I thought it was do fronts only?:confused:

Really gotta be clear, 'cause I think I'm getting close to new brake pads and said I'd do my SS lines at the same time.

Yes, definitely do the fronts, not the rears!! My bad! :surrender:

You both had me all confused until I realized 99 went back and re-edited his post.:confused:

Yeah, my mistake. I was reading and responding to multiple threads and got my responses crossed.

The reason to do only the fronts is that they provide the majority of the stopping power, and if you change the rear lines, there is the possibility of locking the rear tire more easily.

Yeah, my mistake. I was reading and responding to multiple threads and got my responses crossed.

The reason to do only the fronts is that they provide the majority of the stopping power, and if you change the rear lines, there is the possibility of locking the rear tire more easily.

Great....now you just opened the "do you use the rear brake or the front brake more?" discussion again!! :D

OK so I want to warn people about ordering the Yamaha-branded Goodridge lines. I ordered mine through the dealer in the beginning of July. The first kit they sent had two lines of the same length, both meant to connect to the master cylinder by the front brake lever, and connected to the individual calipers. Thing is, they're just a bit short for the left caliper. The funny thing is, the instructions in the kit imply that the lines are supposed to be of different lengths.

Anyway, the dealer keeps sending the kit back for a replacement, and Yamaha keeps sending the same (but different instances of the) same-length kits. Yamaha isn't getting the message that hey, maybe their kits aren't really up to par. Ugh. This is retarded. It's been like 6 weeks!

Alright, I stand corrected. After getting the same same-length kit multiple times, they finally tried it out and saw it fit. I'm not sure why my first kit was too short, but yeah, the Yamaha-branded Goodridge kit fits. The left line is a bit tight, but it works. Definitely improved brake feel.

Back