Blind curve ahead

francesca005

Last Tuesday around 10:30 PM I was riding with my husband. I was following him. We were riding along at about 90 kph when we came turned to enter a main autoroute (from the A-20 in Lachine to 13 North ). I saw my husband turn into the blind curve at a fast pace and even though I saw the posted speed limit of 25 kph, I entered the curve in 5th gear at about 60 kph. As I was exiting the curve I naturally increased throttle even though I could see nothing of what was up ahead. After all, I was entering an autoroute. As i rounded the corner I see a wall of cars with their brake lights on! There were traffic lights! I straightened the bike and hit the brakes, but had no time to downshift. So there I was at a complete stop in 5th gear. I tried to get into first but could not. Now I am worried that some other fool would come speeding around the corner and hit me. Even though I knew I wasn't in first I tried to go anyway and of course stalled. Eventually I got into first and got out of there. The worst thing is I had just finished reading about the dangers of blind curves in a book by David L. Hough, called ,The Ultimate guide to Riding Well. However, in the book he shows country roads. Lessons learned..Slow down in blind curves whether you're in the city, the country or the suburbs, you never know what's around the corner...Never assume the rider you're following knows what he's doing (he lost balance and almost dropped his bike), if the posted speed limit is 25 there must be a reason...and finally the money I spent on motorcycle course and the hours spent practicing for the closed circuit test were not wasted!

A very good point,just because the rider in front does something ,you still must ride within your limits. Thank you for the story and thank you that it had a safe ending. Ride safe and enjoy! :)

Nice job getting stop and great advice.

I had something similar happen where I have to make a quick stop from 4th and didn't downshift. I had a heck of a time getting the bike back into first. I ended up pushing the bike off the road and shifting it while pushing it to get back into first. It was not easy.

Thank heaven that the story has the happy end.
You and your husband should not ride like that guys.

Perhaps you already know - but here is the secret how to switch down when you are stopped on FZ6R and got issue with the switching. You should slightly release clutch every time after pressing pedal down - until you hear that gearbox downshifted.

Ride safely and punish your husband a little. :D

Last edited:
Yea I had been riding for about 4 weeks at that point. I really didn't have a clue on what to do. I have learned a lot since then.

Last edited:
I'm glad you came out alright, Francesca. By the way, I'm going to be passing by Montreal in a week, while on my way riding out to the Cabot Trail.

I read something recently which has made me re-evaluate my own sport riding style. It might have been on this forum. Anyways, someone was relating how he went riding with another skilled and experienced rider who was very capable of going quickly, but actually slowed down whenever he couldn't see what was ahead. In other words, he was quick in the curves, but when he couldn't see what was beyond the next hill or curve, he would slow down to a speed at which he could come to a stop if there was an obstacle in the road beyond his sight.

So I now ride as fast as I can see ahead, if that makes sense. I would imagine it helps to avoid police speed traps, people pulling out of side roads, and animals as well. You can't always blindly follow speed limit signs, especially on a motorcycle.

Originally posted by Rat

Thank heaven that the story has the happy end.
You and your husband should not ride like that guys.

Perhaps you already know - but here is the secret how to switch down when you are stopped on FZ6R and got issue with the switching. You should slightly release clutch every time after pressing pedal down - until you hear that gearbox downshifted.

Ride safely and punish you husband a little.
and a little! lol
[/I

]Thanks, I' try that. And yes, I will punish my husband! lol

Last edited:
I'm glad you came out alright, Francesca. By the way, I'm going to be passing by Montreal in a week, while on my way riding out to the Cabot Trail.

I read something recently which has made me re-evaluate my own sport riding style. It might have been on this forum. Anyways, someone was relating how he went riding with another skilled and experienced rider who was very capable of going quickly, but actually slowed down whenever he couldn't see what was ahead. In other words, he was quick in the curves, but when he couldn't see what was beyond the next hill or curve, he would slow down to a speed at which he could come to a stop if there was an obstacle in the road beyond his sight.

So I now ride as fast as I can see ahead, if that makes sense. I would imagine it helps to avoid police speed traps, people pulling out of side roads, and animals as well. You can't always blindly follow speed limit signs, especially on a motorcycle.
Went To Cabot Trial last year, but by car as only learned to ride this year. You'll love it for sure! We're going to Hopewell rock and PEI for our first long motorcycle trip.

Went To Cabot Trial last year, but by car as only learned to ride this year. You'll love it for sure! We're going to Hopewell rock and PEI for our first long motorcycle trip.

This is actually my third motorcycle trip around the Cabot Trail. I think I will enjoy this one the most because I will finally be on a reliable bike! Last two times were on really old bikes (student budget).

I'm actually going to camp for one night in Fundy National Park on my way to Nova Scotia. I hope you have a good trip to NB and PEI. What does your hubby ride?

Kudos to you for sharing your experience and lessons learned with us. Made me sit back and think. Much appreciated!

Back