Odd clunk

American-fzr

I have a clunk while shifting is not the normal shift clunk. The clunk also happens if I let of the throttle and get back into it. I thought it was chain slack so I took my chain off cleaned it and put it back on and adjusted it. It almost looks like the rear sprocket moves but not with the wheel, like it's loose. The bearings seem tight and the sprocket looks like it's in real good shape. Oh and the sprocket boots are tight.

Attachments

jjmaine

You mean you can see the rear sprocket lurch when you click it into gear? Maybe the cush drives are worn down. There are I think 6 of them in the rear sprocket carrier/hub and when they get worn down they can cause that issue. It is possible to shim them to help your issue (if that’s what is causing it) or you can replace them. They are rubber and need replacing after a while…

jjmaine

Fwiw, my bike seems to do the same thing mostly when I’m slowing down, shift into first and let out the clutch. Feels just like a loose chain to me also but I’ve got a brand new chain and sprockets and have quadruple checked the chain slack. I’m on the tighter side of spec (1.75”ish) too. I haven’t worried about it or bothered to chase it down yet since I just bought the bike and have put less than 100 miles on it.

American-fzr

I'm in the exact same boat, I just bought the bike as well maybe 150 miles on it since i bought it. I just want it to shift better. And are those the things you are talking about in the picture? I almost bought a 04 cbr 600rr, maybe I should have. Lol

Attachments

jjmaine

Yup those are it in the picture. When you take the wheel off you can just tug on the sprocket and the entire carrier will pull off the wheel. Those rubber pieces are what hold it in the wheel so when those wear out you will have excessive play between your sprocket and wheel. The same thing happened on my Ninja 300 and I just shimmed them with little strips of milk jug lol. But it solved the problem and was free.🙂

Try to hold your wheel still and rock your sprocket forward and back and see of it moves more than a tiny bit.

I wouldn’t trade my Fz6r for a Cbr600 or any supersport! Awesome bikes but comfortable to ride they are not!

American-fzr

True, that's why I chose the fz6r I figured it would be more comfortable. I just have to figure this issue out, and I don't have a way to jack this thing up. It seems like the exhaust runs under the whole bike with no jacking point.

jjmaine

You’ll need some sort of rear stand. The Fz6r has the mounting points for a center stand and I can’t figure out why they didn’t put one on the bike. They also never added spots to put spools on the swingarm so your only option is to use a rear pad stand…

jjmaine

If you can secure the front of the bike you so that the bike wont fall over side to side (like on a trailer), you can jack the bike right up by the exhaust I bet. Never tried it on the Fz6r but it has worked on different bikes for me. That oem exhaust is a lot more solid than you would think. Or like you said, lift the rear using straps and your garage rafters but I would still strap the front so it cannot fall over. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. You can find a rear stand pretty cheap, you will most likely want one eventually anyway…

American-fzr

The sprocket was pretty tight, I shimmed it with a plastic jug . I could only fit one on each side. I tightened the chain a touch more. It's definitely better but not prefect.
20230704_150128.jpg

American-fzr

It's all back together, everything seems good. I don't really need anymore top speed. I'm just in it for the cruise. Lol. I'd like it to sound a little better but I just don't feel like spending any more money.

Last edited:

cranny

did any one get the knocking sound cured, if so what was it, i too have this noise going through the 3rd to 2nd and 1st.