Bike starts but....

KSmith

So i just got out of the military had my bike ('09 FZ6R) shipped from Hawaii to Idaho. Bike was running like a dream before i shipped it. I had to drain the fuel that was all. So when it came back to me a month later i put gas in it and try to start it up i let the fuel pump do it's thing on start up well at first the starter was sluggish so charged the battery started but new problem. Goes through the idle warm up just fine, but anytime I put on any throttle it just dies. So i thought hmm dirty air filter. Nope clean air filter then i thought bad fuel pump nope disconnected it and pump worked just fine no kink in hose either, A friend suggested dirty injectors got fuel injector cleaner and helped a lil bit if i slowly and i mean slowly add throttle i can get it to right above idle but at the 2k-3k rpm it bogs down and if I try adding to much throttle then it dies let it sit there still increasing the throttle slowly after a few seconds it will jump to 10k-13k rpm then drop back to 2k and i have to start over. So does anyone now what might be the problem. I don't want to take it to a shop and find out it is something i could have fixed myself.

Kdubb223

Maybe try a brand new battery?

JSP

Super Moderator
I know you drained it and put new gas in, but maybe its just the bad old gas still in the line/system. How long have you let it run trying to clear it out?

Are you sure you connected all of the plugs under the tank correctly?

Y

yellowfz

What you are describing is one starving for fuel, to much air and no fuel to engine, clogged injectors would be my guess. Make sure air box is seated correctly and not getting excessive air that way. Frigging Ethanol junk fuel.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

Agree with Yellow here. Sound like gum up injectors. Dump a can of seafoam and go for a short ride. It should be alright after a tank. Can't be anything serious...
Agree, let it set and idle for a while with the Seafoam or Berryman's B-12 (B-12 is stronger) and keep prodding it gently until you can get it to start revving, then go for a ride close to your work area so if it conks out on you it is not to far to push back.
If not, and you have to take the injectors out, use B-12 to soak them with, will clean them right up.

KSmith

Thanks for all the input guys I'll try the sea foam when i get the chance and let you know if it helps.

Superfly

So i just got out of the military had my bike ('09 FZ6R) shipped from Hawaii to Idaho. Bike was running like a dream before i shipped it. I had to drain the fuel that was all. So when it came back to me a month later i put gas in it and try to start it up i let the fuel pump do it's thing on start up well at first the starter was sluggish so charged the battery started but new problem. Goes through the idle warm up just fine, but anytime I put on any throttle it just dies. So i thought hmm dirty air filter. Nope clean air filter then i thought bad fuel pump nope disconnected it and pump worked just fine no kink in hose either, A friend suggested dirty injectors got fuel injector cleaner and helped a lil bit if i slowly and i mean slowly add throttle i can get it to right above idle but at the 2k-3k rpm it bogs down and if I try adding to much throttle then it dies let it sit there still increasing the throttle slowly after a few seconds it will jump to 10k-13k rpm then drop back to 2k and i have to start over. So does anyone now what might be the problem. I don't want to take it to a shop and find out it is something i could have fixed myself.

This is a simple but important question:

You filled the bike from a clean jerry can that had fresh fuel right...

If your answer is yes then you make me happy.

If your answer is no then that's your problem.

Sparkxx1

Agree with Yellow here. Sound like gum up injectors. Dump a can of seafoam and go for a short ride. It should be alright after a tank. Can't be anything serious...
It's not a battery issue because the bike is on already. It dies when you introduce throttle which means its not getting the right f/a mixture. Go for the seafoam like Marthy said!

Also did you have to drain because of the shipping? You usually don't want to drain the fuel from a bike for a just a month of storage. You fill up the tank and add stabilizer to it.