Bike Insurance

sreeni.kaki

Hello,

Have more than 5 years of exp in riding bikes (up to 300 CC) back in my home country. However, am new to biking in USA.

Planning o buy FZ6R soon and shopping arnd for insurance. Typical quotes i got from agents ranges from $1100-1800 (per year). Is it normal?

Any tips/tricks to reduce the insurance a lil bit? ;)

Thanks,
Sreeni.

id say shop around. i got mine for 378 a year.

Hello,

Have more than 5 years of exp in riding bikes (up to 300 CC) back in my home country. However, am new to biking in USA.

Planning o buy FZ6R soon and shopping arnd for insurance. Typical quotes i got from agents ranges from $1100-1800 (per year). Is it normal?

Any tips/tricks to reduce the insurance a lil bit? ;)

Thanks,
Sreeni.

For what it is worth, I pay $1180 per year for coverage on a 2009 FZ6R and a 150cc Motofino scooter with one not at fault, weather related accident back in January 2009. Although this is a little high, I feel as though I have excellent coverage on them. I have the same coverage on one as I do the other. This includes:
  • $100k/$300k/$100k worth of liability
  • $100k/$300k/$100k worth of uninsured motorists
  • $1000 for medical payments per accident (to cover medical deductibles I assume)
  • A $100 comprehensive deductible
  • A $250 collision deductible
  • Up to $100 paid for towing
  • $750 for trip interruption
I am hoping the rate drops this year, given it will have been a year since I started my motorcycle coverage and will have one year of riding experience. I did shop around a little bit when I was looking for insurance. Geico was over $2800/year. Progressive was over $2000/year. State Farm
was a little higher than my Allstate rate, but they wanted me to bring at least one vehicle to them for coverage. I have had Allstate for over 8 years, and I am very pleased with them.

I am not sure if this helps you much, but here you go.

Im at $18 a month right now for full coverage through State Farm. Not my first bike with them though, no accidents.

You're also in Oregon. Unfortunately, location has a HUGE effect. I was told at the dealership that San Diego is anywhere from #1 to #3 in country for most stolen motorcycles every year and usually in the top 3 to 5 in the country for most totaled motorcycles. But we've probably also got close to the highest number of bikes per capita of any major city as well. You can't drive 5 miles anywhere in town without seeing a bike of some kind.

True, I just moved here from VA and it was $30 something there. I didnt notice any drop until I came here and transfered it over.

I got State Farm about $130 per 6 months. Not full coverage, but it will replace any damaged parts on the bike and theft or act of god. I bought gap at the dealer (you never know) So I'm good with that. I have my medical through work. I also placed one of my cars with to get a multiple vehicle discount. Ask for all your discounts. I hope that helps.:)

Last edited:
RideWIthMcGraw.com was recommended to me by a friend. you can do all the sign-up online, like i did, or call them. they have good prices for new riders.

I have insurance through Country Financial and I'm only paying $380 a year or something like that. With one ticket on my record and a few not at fault accidents on my record as well. Not that bad...

my r1 was only 40 bucks a month for full coverage through state farm. I was 27 when I started the plan w/no tickets. I just canceled it though because the r1 is now a track only bike after I purchased the 6r.

The difference that one company will quote compared to another is pretty crazy.

I have an auto policy with Geico so I tried them - over $1000 for the year, even with my multiple-policy discount.

I called State Farm and the same policy was $321 for the year (26.75/mo).

FYI - My policy was for full coverage, but with a $2k deductible. I'm 39, married, with 5 years "street" riding experience (lots of dirt), and have taken the moto safety course here in Chicago. Clean driving record too.

I pay right around $65/month for full coverage on my 2012 FZ6R in Texas.

25 year old male with no tickets or accidents (knock on wood).

I just got a policy from Progressive. $299/year full coverage including roadside and $3000 accessory coverage.

I am with riders insurance. I have full coverage on 2012 fz6r with 500 deductable. I am a 29 yr old man who is a new rider. I have clean record. My premium is 280 / yr

I just switched to Rider about 2 weeks ago, at $250 a year, it's was about $400 less than State Farm wanted.

Back