Bike Insurance

sreeni.kaki

Hello,

Have more than 5 years of exp in riding bikes (up to 300 CC) back in my home country. However, am new to biking in USA.

Planning o buy FZ6R soon and shopping arnd for insurance. Typical quotes i got from agents ranges from $1100-1800 (per year). Is it normal?

Any tips/tricks to reduce the insurance a lil bit? ;)

Thanks,
Sreeni.

mfischler

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

bmw675

id say shop around. i got mine for 378 a year.

bjpinub

Hello,

Have more than 5 years of exp in riding bikes (up to 300 CC) back in my home country. However, am new to biking in USA.

Planning o buy FZ6R soon and shopping arnd for insurance. Typical quotes i got from agents ranges from $1100-1800 (per year). Is it normal?

Any tips/tricks to reduce the insurance a lil bit? ;)

Thanks,
Sreeni.
For what it is worth, I pay $1180 per year for coverage on a 2009 FZ6R and a 150cc Motofino scooter with one not at fault, weather related accident back in January 2009. Although this is a little high, I feel as though I have excellent coverage on them. I have the same coverage on one as I do the other. This includes:
  • $100k/$300k/$100k worth of liability
  • $100k/$300k/$100k worth of uninsured motorists
  • $1000 for medical payments per accident (to cover medical deductibles I assume)
  • A $100 comprehensive deductible
  • A $250 collision deductible
  • Up to $100 paid for towing
  • $750 for trip interruption
I am hoping the rate drops this year, given it will have been a year since I started my motorcycle coverage and will have one year of riding experience. I did shop around a little bit when I was looking for insurance. Geico was over $2800/year. Progressive was over $2000/year. State Farm
was a little higher than my Allstate rate, but they wanted me to bring at least one vehicle to them for coverage. I have had Allstate for over 8 years, and I am very pleased with them.

I am not sure if this helps you much, but here you go.

JSP

Super Moderator
Im at $18 a month right now for full coverage through State Farm. Not my first bike with them though, no accidents.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
You're also in Oregon. Unfortunately, location has a HUGE effect. I was told at the dealership that San Diego is anywhere from #1 to #3 in country for most stolen motorcycles every year and usually in the top 3 to 5 in the country for most totaled motorcycles. But we've probably also got close to the highest number of bikes per capita of any major city as well. You can't drive 5 miles anywhere in town without seeing a bike of some kind.
True, I just moved here from VA and it was $30 something there. I didnt notice any drop until I came here and transfered it over.

WenMark

I got State Farm about $130 per 6 months. Not full coverage, but it will replace any damaged parts on the bike and theft or act of god. I bought gap at the dealer (you never know) So I'm good with that. I have my medical through work. I also placed one of my cars with to get a multiple vehicle discount. Ask for all your discounts. I hope that helps.:)

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Detrich

RideWIthMcGraw.com was recommended to me by a friend. you can do all the sign-up online, like i did, or call them. they have good prices for new riders.

F

FZ6Rgurl

I have insurance through Country Financial and I'm only paying $380 a year or something like that. With one ticket on my record and a few not at fault accidents on my record as well. Not that bad...

vitrox

my r1 was only 40 bucks a month for full coverage through state farm. I was 27 when I started the plan w/no tickets. I just canceled it though because the r1 is now a track only bike after I purchased the 6r.

taylorswendsen

The difference that one company will quote compared to another is pretty crazy.

I have an auto policy with Geico so I tried them - over $1000 for the year, even with my multiple-policy discount.

I called State Farm and the same policy was $321 for the year (26.75/mo).

FYI - My policy was for full coverage, but with a $2k deductible. I'm 39, married, with 5 years "street" riding experience (lots of dirt), and have taken the moto safety course here in Chicago. Clean driving record too.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

xChapterxFourx

I pay right around $65/month for full coverage on my 2012 FZ6R in Texas.

25 year old male with no tickets or accidents (knock on wood).

smackay

I just got a policy from Progressive. $299/year full coverage including roadside and $3000 accessory coverage.

pkoko

I am with riders insurance. I have full coverage on 2012 fz6r with 500 deductable. I am a 29 yr old man who is a new rider. I have clean record. My premium is 280 / yr

Cerebus

I just switched to Rider about 2 weeks ago, at $250 a year, it's was about $400 less than State Farm wanted.