3.33 Gear Ratio (-1/+4)

Half-Click Up

For my fellow track day junkies:

As I slowly transition my Fizzer more and more toward track bike status, I am toying with the idea of a stout gearing change.
So far in my experience, the bike's weakest link (aside from its standard peg configuration) is the exit from hairpin turns where I'm accelerating from between 20 and 25ish mph.
I've experimented with dropping to 1st, but it's just too unusable in that niche of acceleration where I'm needing to quickly stand the bike up only to lay it back over for another turn entry.
Ideally, I'd like to wring her neck in 2nd gear and not have to wait on the bike to catch up to my throttle hand.
There are kits readily available in the popular -1/+1 configuration, but after discussing the math with a savvy track day buddy, it would seem that a -1/+4 would be the most advantageous for this bike in track layouts where you don't need to worry about top end speed.

For example, absolutely pushing the bike on a recent track day produced a top speed of 110mph on a back straight before needing to ease up and set up for the next turn entry.

Anyone out there have any technical thoughts on the 15/50 combo? Mathematically it should equate to an 8100 rpm interstate cruise at 80mph.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Half-Click Up

Hey thanks for the reply Marthy. Check out this "Quick Acceleration" kit featuring a 15/47 setup:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/152601351010

That's a fantastic price at $125. I messaged those guys about the 15/50 setup and they basically said good luck keeping the front end down on the track.
Perhaps I should heed that warning... the 15/50 is popular on the R6, but we don't exactly have the same power band issues.

Jason M

Looking forward to the premiere tonight! For track days, do you come up to Cresson or go down to Austin or Houston?

ChroNiX7

I've used the -1/+4 gearing.

It made highway painful. It made a 70mph cruise at 6000rpm into a 9200~rpm cruise. Meaning you don't really end up wanting to go much faster than 70.

City riding was a blast. It made takeoffs much easier and smoother even if it's not a full on pull. 2up was noticeably easier as well. I don't know why but it idled through parking lots with no throttle and no clutch more comfortably.

IIRC I topped out at 98mph with the cortech super 3.0 side bags, top bag and tank bag. This was after Delkovic exhaust, tune, air box chop.

Speedo was off 20mph at 70mph iirc. I just finished installing the stock ratio gearing Monday. The speedo change, much lower usable top speed and 10mpg drop was too much. I think just a 0/+1 gearing change is probably the ideal spot for me.

Half-Click Up

I've used the -1/+4 gearing.

It made highway painful. It made a 70mph cruise at 6000rpm into a 9200~rpm cruise. Meaning you don't really end up wanting to go much faster than 70.

City riding was a blast. It made takeoffs much easier and smoother even if it's not a full on pull. 2up was noticeably easier as well. I don't know why but it idled through parking lots with no throttle and no clutch more comfortably.

IIRC I topped out at 98mph with the cortech super 3.0 side bags, top bag and tank bag. This was after Delkovic exhaust, tune, air box chop.

Speedo was off 20mph at 70mph iirc. I just finished installing the stock ratio gearing Monday. The speedo change, much lower usable top speed and 10mpg drop was too much. I think just a 0/+1 gearing change is probably the ideal spot for me.
I ended up going with a 15/49 setup, and it’s pretty good. I do, however, commute on a Triumph nowadays and reserve the Fizzer for Friday play commutes and track days, so that may influence my opinion.

Interstate cruise is 8,600 at 80mph, and I installed the 12 O’Clock Labs SpeedoDRD to recalibrate the speedometer. It was off by -16.7%

Again, it’s not an everyday commuter for me anymore, so it’s a treat to ride when I do get on it.

ChroNiX7

I ended up going with a 15/49 setup, and it’s pretty good. I do, however, commute on a Triumph nowadays and reserve the Fizzer for Friday play commutes and track days, so that may influence my opinion.

Interstate cruise is 8,600 at 80mph, and I installed the 12 O’Clock Labs SpeedoDRD to recalibrate the speedometer. It was off by -16.7%

Again, it’s not an everyday commuter for me anymore, so it’s a treat to ride when I do get on it.
I see you posted videos! Just got home and I'm about to put them on the big screen to watch them.

Mines a commuter and I hit highways every now and then. If it wasn't for the highway runs I would have kept the 15/50 ratio.