10 reasons why you should not do a track day in NorCal

Fizzer6R

copied from another forum, applies to anywhere...

10. I don't have Leathers.
A new set of leathers cost from $300-$3,000 dollars. A good set will last several years and there is a couple of companies that sell used leathers and let you trade old ones in. Some outfits rent them.
Denied.

9. I don't have boots.
Over the ankle work boots can be used in a pinch. Chaparral has many different brands and styles that sell for as low as $60 per pair. If you care about your ankles, pony up and get a pair.
Next

8. I don't have a way to get up to the track.
Everybody has a friend with a truck. U-hauls rent for as low as $19.95/day + Mileage and cargo vans are even less. A U-haul trailer even has an indent at the front for your front tire. Worse comes to worse, ride up. I've done it, friends have done it. Just don't crash or make sure you know someone with room on their trailer for an extra bike.
Keep trying.

7. I'm worried about my bodywork if I crash.
A set of sliders are about $100 or less. Where are you most likely to crash? Around a blind canyon road with dirt in the middle or a track that is swept clean. Your first few track days you have no business trying to go fast anyhow, learn the track first, get used to the track day experience.
Nope, next.

6. I'll be the slowest guy out there.
Who cares? It's not a race. You have a 1-in-40 chance of being the slowest out there. And you won't be the fastest either. There's always someone slower or faster then you. Just ride in the group with similar skill level as yours.
Don't think so. Nice try though.

5. I don't ride a Sportbike.
So. Get passed once by a guy on Super Motard on the outside of corner, and you quickly realize it's not the bike, but the rider.
Good try.

4. It's too expensive.
With some track day prices as low as $150 a day, it's the most fun you can have legally.

3. It's to far to the track.
BS. People in other states travel 12 hours or more sometimes just to get to a close track. Laguna Seca, Infineon, Buttonwillow and Thunderhill are all within a few hours of NorCal. Take advantage of the location in which we live.
Running low on excuses now.

2. I can't get the day off.
Many track days are now running on weekends.
Next.

1. Why should I pay to ride someplace?
I can just ride the canyons.
Sure you can ride the canyons. One speeding ticket is more then one track day. An insurance deductible is more then 3 track days. An ambulance ride cost more then four track days. A Crash in the canyons, total your bike and get a ticket all in the same day (easily done) and you could have bought a set of leathers, boots and a season of track days.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

11. I live in a state with no track, and it's a 2000+ mile trip to the nearest one.

Find a solution to that one, and I'm there.
you need to vacation in CA, and do a track school that supplies bikes. yup it will be more expensive but hey then you don't need to worry about trashing your own bike.

seriously, whenever someone asks what a track day is like, i say you'll never ride the same way on the street, you'll actually slow down, which is a good thing. i still do my share of stupid things on the street but i do often stop and think i shouldn't be

Fizzer6R

I don't get weekends off:(
lots of trackdays do it on week days because races are on weekends, and it's also slightly cheaper to rent the track then

bmw675

I work weekdays and weekends all the time. It does make for a stressful life.

On the bright side, I took off next weekend specifically for my first trackday.

:wav:

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Sage

I work weekdays and weekends all the time. It does make for a stressful life.

On the bright side, I took off next weekend specifically for my first trackday.

:wav:
Where you goin?:confused::confused::confused:

bmw675

Where you goin?:confused::confused::confused:
Autobahn North. didn't get enought time off work to do the south on sunday. saturday will be the last day i have off until mid july. :mad:

We want pics!
Maybe I'll put up some prep pics tomorrow. Maintenance is all done, just need to tape up the lights and remove the mirrors. I've been trying out the gopro all week too.

Sage

I didn't know they did track days there. May have to look into that sometime if it doesn't require their outrageous membership fees lol.

Looks like there is a motorcycle track day on my birthday ;) haha