Yamaha 3 Cylinder, 750cc Concept Unveiled!

redprodigy35

Checked my FB over coffee this morning and what do I see?

Yamaha seems to be making a 3 cylinder, 750cc bike, with a crossplane crankshaft in a slimmed down version (-1 cylinder) of the R1's powerplant.

"This light, slim and compact new 3-cylinder engine is designed to add a new dimension to its category in terms of torque, sound and efficiency. By successfully combining the positive characteristics of 2-cylinder and 4-cylinder engines, Yamaha's 3-cylinder powerplant has the potential to bring race-inspired performance to the street."

I have a thing for Triumphs because of their unique cylinder config, and the type of powerband that motor has (from what I've read and heard there are two sweetspots). I mean all the top spec parts like breaks and suspension are awesome, but the engine has always been the highlight for me -- and now it looks like I will get to see Yama come through with a model of their own.

Interesting... Triumph updated their Street Triple a bit this year, Kawa is back with the 636 in that mid range category, MV Agusta also has their offering in the form of a 3 cyl.... And now Yama. :rockon: The XS line I believe was Yama's last 3 cyl and that was back in like '81.

I love the idea of getting all the good characteristics of a 2 and 4 cyl with that added crossplane crankshaft... This thing should be a nimble beast!

I'd like to hear what you guys think... Especially those of you who have upgraded to the Triumph's, 636's, or are thinking about doing so...

1.) New 3-cylinder engine based on the "crossplane concept" - Yamaha Motor Europe

2.) Intermot: Yamaha's 750cc triple concept - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
Hmmmm.... Interesting indeed.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Interesting development, but I really like the sound of a 4 cylinder motorcycle engine. There's just nothing like it. And it seems that as of today, only Yamaha provides that in an upright posture, sub-litre bike.

Y

yellowfz

Well if it has 110hp I might take a look at it.
Not a fan of 3 cylinders, why I bought the FZ6R over Street Triple, well that and the oil leaks, bolts falling off and electrical problems ST3 has.:thumbup:

3 cylinders look as if though they lost a piece while being installed. :thumbup:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

BKP

I like it...
Anxious to see what they're going to wrap around it...

Geezer

Old news

I owned a 76 and 78 three cylinder Yamaha 750 (XS-750D and XS-750E) which were great for their time. The 76 was the first of the Yamaha drive-shaft models but a real dog and the 78 was the fastest 750 of the year according to Cycle World. My 78 is at the motorcycle museum in Anamosa, Iowa and will be displayed when they find room for it.
I'm sure the new concept will be much better than the old ones but also old news in thirty plus years. ;)

FastFreddy

I think its a great idea.

You'd expect to be able to handle higher revs thru the turns with less inertial torque and vibrations.

The Tiger 800XC triples on the iicon raiden advert sounded good when I watched that last night.

This website has a triple explanation if you are interested :
AutoZine Technical School - Engine

Did you see this presentation ?
R1 cross-plane crank :
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvTXMtTTKQw]2009 Yamaha YZF-R1 engine technology explanation - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Y

yellowfz

I think its a great idea.

You'd expect to be able to handle higher revs thru the turns with less inertial torque and vibrations.

The Tiger 800XC triples on the iicon raiden advert sounded good when I watched that last night.

This website has a triple explanation if you are interested :
AutoZine Technical School - Engine

Now that I would go for, pretty cool stuff there.
Strange firing order though.

Last edited by a moderator:

bmw675

buzzbomb

Elite Member

bleedinblue

Elite Member

BoneJj

This sounds quite cool. I'm hoping more manufacturers start doing this type of thing. I think it might helps out other engines as well. 3 cylinders sounds cool too.

bleedinblue

Elite Member
Last edited:

BKP

"...so the lure of a handful of extra horses isn't the temptation it was a few years ago. Honda, and now Yamaha, have recognised that by giving their machines a distinct character – without sacrificing performance – they stand a better chance of distinguishing themselves from their rivals."

Read more: Next Yamaha R6 and R1 will be triples - Motorcycle news: New bikes - Visordown

Excellent reason to pay attention to Yamaha... I think this philosophy was embodied in the 6R, when it was released...

I'm looking forward to their triple version of a sport-tourer...