WTF IS THIS??

FZSicksR

Whats going on here exactly? Im not touching the throttle at all. It starts idling rough and the dash goes crazy.

If I turn the bike off while this is happening, whenever I try to restart the bike...theres no dash lights, no headlight, no horn. Nothing works period. Sounds like a dead battery right?
I replaced the battery and the issue persists...whats going on? My only guess is the CDI / ECU

Any theories / answers would be highly appreciated.

Heres the video uploaded to youtube

Last edited:

Half-Click Up

I can't come up with any explanation other than CDI/ECU as well. Almost as if a plug is no longer making solid contact. I say that, because a full dash sweep is indicative of ECU on/off cycle. It's like it's on, then loses signal, so does a full "reset" sweep. Curious how the engine runs the entire time.

Have you ever put it into diagnostic mode? Perhaps there's a stored code.

FZSicksR

I never put it in diagnostic mode while this happened (I cant since it never gives me the opportunity)

I forgot to mention this started happening after a heavy rain. Rode the bike the next day for about 3 hours and at the end of my ride it started acting up. It rode fine until this happened....

While riding the dash started flashing and i pulled over, dash lights continued to fluctuate and the motor started to rough idle. Turned it off and like I said, wouldn't turn back on until I disconnected / reconnected battery.

If water did some damage to any electrical components...why did it take so long to manifest? Thats what has me confused.

Still leaning towards just buying a new CDI and swapping out the old one.

Half-Click Up

I never put it in diagnostic mode while this happened (I cant since it never gives me the opportunity)

I forgot to mention this started happening after a heavy rain. Rode the bike the next day for about 3 hours and at the end of my ride it started acting up. It rode fine until this happened....

While riding the dash started flashing and i pulled over, dash lights continued to fluctuate and the motor started to rough idle. Turned it off and like I said, wouldn't turn back on until I disconnected / reconnected battery.

If water did some damage to any electrical components...why did it take so long to manifest? Thats what has me confused.

Still leaning towards just buying a new CDI and swapping out the old one.
Looks like a replacement CDI seems to be just north of $100 on eBay. Rather costly way to rule out that as being the problem, but of course if it does fix it, then a little more than $100 is a pretty cheap fix for such a serious issue, I'd say.

bigddy263

Looks like it could be a bad ground too, do some good checking before you throw bigger money at it.

bigddy263

Looks like it could be a bad ground too, do some good checking before you throw bigger money at it.
That fits with a problem after a 3 hr ride too. If it was the water, it should have showed up earlier. Also, it could be the ignition switch/ or kill switch. Something is turning off, and back on very quickly.