Why does the FZ6R get so much hate?

Drennan57

I love my FZ, it's a great all around bike that does so many things well. But for some reason alot of people seem to be of the opinion that the 6R is not a good bike.

Are they right?

Last edited:

Rumpig

I think it's a great bike though a bit underpowered which is probably why the haters hate. It's basically a sport bike but 20-30 hp short compared to all the other 600's. Nothing that can't be fixed.

Drennan57

Of course they could have put an extra 10-15hp in it but then it would be in a different class of bikes. From my understanding it was built to compete with the 650's and it does that favorably.

Just don't understand where the hate comes from.

Yehbaby351

They are under powered however they look fantastic.

Im just going to change my big donkey mirrors for a nice set of lower ones and put a 2 bros exhaust and power command v .

And i think it will be better

UncleHilty

People are just ignorant. The FZ is one of the best all rounders out there especially for the $. Look back on all the shootouts and comparisons done and the FZ beats the pack every time!

BzB

if the fz gets hate i think it's because people have different expectations. it has supersport styling and a 600cc, but it's definitely not a supersport...and i think that's a good thing. it's more comfortable and flexible than supersports imo. the fz isn't a total slouch in stock form, but with a full exhaust and pc5 it really wakes up the performance. personally i think it's a good bike that fits a wide range of people as long as you know what to expect. and it has room to grow.

BluePill

I think that the fact that I recently bought my second brand-new FZ6R says all you need to know about where I stand. For what it is, what it does, and what it costs, it is an excellent street bike. I have been riding for 51 years, worked in 2 bike shops along the way, and have ridden well over a hundred bikes through the years. That doesn't make me special, except that I can compare the Fizzer with a whole lot of other 2 wheeled designs.

It works well for me, and probably not so well for lots of other riders. The great thing about this sport is that it comes in hundreds of flavors. I don't feel the need to put down anyone else's choice, even if they ride something that I would never own myself.

Last edited:

Drennan57

I think that the fact that I recently bought my second brand-new FZ6R says all you need to know about where I stand. For what it is, what it does, and what it costs, it is an excellent street bike. I have been riding for 51 years, worked in 2 bike shops along the way, and have ridden well over a hundred bikes through the years. That doesn't make me special, except that I can compare the Fizzer with a whole lot of other 2 wheeled designs.

It works well for me, and probably not so well for lots of other riders. The great thing about this sport is that it comes in hundreds of flavors. I don't feel the need to put down anyone else's choice, even if they ride something that I would never own myself.
Do you ever miss the power you had with the 1000?

I traded my CBR600 in for the FZ and although it isn't nearly as fast I am completely content with it. But a little more power wouldn't hurt it.

xorbe

I'm one of the riders that found it really uncomfortable, even after trying multiple seat options. Kinda upright but kinda leaned forward, awkward for me. Had no complaints about the engine or power though! Stayed with Yamaha but moved from 6R to R3. Definitely the 6R is a higher quality bike. [edit: wanted to clarify that the 6R is a great bike imo, my comfort didn't match up, that's all.]

Last edited:

Forean

I will say, everyone that I have talked to about my bike REALLY seem to love it. I mean its weird to say even HARLEY people have stopped me to say that my bike is really nice.

Fraze

Opinions are like @ssholes....

I don't like VW beetles, in fact I hate them. But that doesn't mean they aren't any good. I sold my CBRF4i and bought my 6R.

It's a sporty, middleweight bike that does exactly whats its been designed to do. And it does it quite well.

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

BluePill

Do you ever miss the power you had with the 1000?

I traded my CBR600 in for the FZ and although it isn't nearly as fast I am completely content with it. But a little more power wouldn't hurt it.
Yeah, the engine on the CBR is the only thing I miss on that bike. Handling was slow, handlebars vibrated badly at over 40 mph, ergonomics were terrible for me (I'm 6' 2"), it had a false neutral between 5th and 6th gears. Rolling the power on in top gear at 60 mph and getting to over 100 in a few seconds was always a pleasure. On the other hand, snicking the fizzer into 2nd gear at 60 mph, and winding it to redline, banging third gear and hitting almost 100 ain't so shabby either.

Drennan57

Yeah, the engine on the CBR is the only thing I miss on that bike. Handling was slow, handlebars vibrated badly at over 40 mph, ergonomics were terrible for me (I'm 6' 2"), it had a false neutral between 5th and 6th gears. Rolling the power on in top gear at 60 mph and getting to over 100 in a few seconds was always a pleasure. On the other hand, snicking the fizzer into 2nd gear at 60 mph, and winding it to redline, banging third gear and hitting almost 100 ain't so shabby either.

Sounds like you got a lemon, I thought those were pretty solid bikes but I've never ridden one.

But you're right, being able to grab a few gears now and then without instantly going to jail has its perks. My girlfriend has a Ninja 300 and it's great for that type of stuff. You can give it all she's got before you leave the parking lot :rof:

BluePill

Sounds like you got a lemon, I thought those were pretty solid bikes but I've never ridden one.

But you're right, being able to grab a few gears now and then without instantly going to jail has its perks. My girlfriend has a Ninja 300 and it's great for that type of stuff. You can give it all she's got before you leave the parking lot :rof:
It was an early production 2008 (All new 9th generation), so maybe some of the issues were resolved in later production units. I was very happy to dump it and get my first (2009) Fizzer.

Drennan57

It was an early production 2008 (All new 9th generation), so maybe some of the issues were resolved in later production units. I was very happy to dump it and get my first (2009) Fizzer.
That's good glad to hear it worked out for you. I think I will end up doing the usual PCV exhaust intake, it would be nice to find some lightly used parts tho. Can I PCV be used on a second bike?

Drennan57

I have a question an didn't want to make a new thread for it so if you guys could help me out I'd appreciate it.

I'm thinking about adjusting my preload to a full 7 (it's currently 5) and was wondering if this would have any I'll effects. I'm 6'1 210 so there is weight on the bike. The FZ suspension is pretty soft in general compared to the pro-link my other bikes have had so I thought it might be OK.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Forean

I have a question an didn't want to make a new thread for it so if you guys could help me out I'd appreciate it.

I'm thinking about adjusting my preload to a full 7 (it's currently 5) and was wondering if this would have any I'll effects. I'm 6'1 210 so there is weight on the bike. The FZ suspension is pretty soft in general compared to the pro-link my other bikes have had so I thought it might be OK.

Thanks in advance!
I'm 6'0" 235lbs, I have it locked on 7 when I ride with a passenger and 6 when I ride alone. I've had no problems with suspension thus far. *knocks on wood*

7 is the max stiff it can go, so you'll have less movement and feel the road more. I would try it, ride around for about an hour and adjust it accordingly.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member