What wire to tap from brake light to power relay for accessories?

Superzoom

Hey All,

I'm finally adding a relay to have switched power for all my accessories (heated grips, heated jacket, lighter socket).

It seems the most accessible wires to tap off of would be those going to the tail/brake light bulb. You can see the socket at the back of the compartment under the passenger seat.

Can anyone tell me what colour wire going into the tail light I should be tapping into for triggering my relay (to connect to post 86 on relay)?

I would assume I would want to tap into the running light for constant power.

But if you know of a better switched wire to tap into that is easy to connect to beneath the seat, please let me know!

Thanks!

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

arocholl

I'm with MNGreg on this one, pretty sure it's the blue wire. If you go to google, you can find a PDF of the factory service manual. All the information you'll ever need is in there.

-Uncle Al

Superzoom

Thanks, guys. I actually spliced into the blue wire some time last week, hooking it up to a relay, and I was kind of stunned that it worked perfectly. I chose the blue based on some old posts on this forum, and also by staring at the FZ6R shop manual.

I don't regret using the tail light wire for my relay trigger. It was fairly easy to tap into. It would have been a lot of work to get at the wires behind the panel to the right side of the passenger seat.

I feel a lot better now that my heated grips and heated jacket will be on switched power. I always used to be afraid that some jackass would turn on my heated grips (the controller is on the handlebars) and drain the battery. Actually, I was also afraid that I would be the one to leave the heated grips on.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Superzoom

Lol. .. same reasons I setup the relay. . Plus my battery was getting pretty loaded. Wish I could throw the battery tender on the relayed terminal strip also.
Yeah, I actually had trouble screwing down the battery posts since I had three different accessories wired directly to the battery. I was about to add a couple more (!), so I decided it was finally time to add that relay.