What causes this?

Chipmunk222

Ok, so I have been stuck at the house all day, didn't get a chance to go get another air gauge but I did look at the numbers and one was made in 08 and the other in 09... :(

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

just be thankful you're finding it out now, off the bike, and before a slide/accident. good excuse to get new tires.

this has probably really turned you off from Bridgestone. they're still my fav brand

Skidro

The Roadsmart set of tires i tried started cupping rather quickly, around 2500 miles. I continued to ride on them until i got around 6000 miles.

I have BT023s on the bike now with 7500 miles on the tires and wear looks normal.

mdgreene2001

What would cause this on a front tire ? Hard to see but is raised and bumpy. Tire is a Bridgestone 120/70/17 with 31 lbs of pressure. (I can not find a recommended pressure on the tire, it may be there, but I'm struggling to find it)

Fairly new to street bikes, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Our roads here are a mix of curvy with some straightaways. (if that even makes a difference) Our driveway is gravel, but the bikes are always on pavement with the exception of the driveway.

Thats what my front looks like, I just took them to get michelin pp3's put on, the front was worn out and cupped just like that, the rear is still in decent shape but im just switching all together to a better tire. the stock tires do that, the dealer said they see it all the time with the stock tires. I am a stickler on pressure too, and I also run nitrogen in my tires.

knightmare

What would cause this on a front tire ? Hard to see but is raised and bumpy. Tire is a Bridgestone 120/70/17 with 31 lbs of pressure. (I can not find a recommended pressure on the tire, it may be there, but I'm struggling to find it)

Fairly new to street bikes, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Our roads here are a mix of curvy with some straightaways. (if that even makes a difference) Our driveway is gravel, but the bikes are always on pavement with the exception of the driveway.

What everyone says is true. The Stock BT-021 suck, for normal riding nothing to crazy stick with the BT-023's a better tire and last longer. also make sure you keep checking your tire pressure, especially if the outside tempature changes alot. I keep a samll tire pressure gauge that has a magnet on it and attach it to the frame of the bike that holds the triple tree, it is there when i need it.
If you still need to ride the bike over prussure the tire by 2-3 psi and try not to lean to much, the will wear down the center part of the tire and even it out a lil.

latony007

What everyone says is true. The Stock BT-021 suck, for normal riding nothing to crazy stick with the BT-023's a better tire and last longer. also make sure you keep checking your tire pressure, especially if the outside tempature changes alot. I keep a samll tire pressure gauge that has a magnet on it and attach it to the frame of the bike that holds the triple tree, it is there when i need it.
If you still need to ride the bike over prussure the tire by 2-3 psi and try not to lean to much, the will wear down the center part of the tire and even it out a lil.
This is an old thread resurrected but if anyone passing by and has the manual handy our recommended pressures are around 35psi? Does the tire not say max of 52 psi? That seems like a lot between max and ideal. I filled the crap out of my cruiser tires to about 50psi yesterday cause it was threatening to bottom out riding two up. Hope they don't blow up on me!

JSP

Super Moderator
This is an old thread resurrected but if anyone passing by and has the manual handy our recommended pressures are around 35psi? Does the tire not say max of 52 psi? That seems like a lot between max and ideal. I filled the crap out of my cruiser tires to about 50psi yesterday cause it was threatening to bottom out riding two up. Hope they don't blow up on me!
Fill with the recommended PSI, not the MAX.

jfont

Find out a way to insure you aren't going above the max when both of you are on. Maybe have a similar weight person take your spot on the bike.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

latony007

Find out a way to insure you aren't going above the max when both of you are on. Maybe have a similar weight person take your spot on the bike.

thanks ill try that. I did fill them while they were really hot though so I imagine its gone down sitting. I will have to check my owners manual for the tire pressure on the fz6r. Car tires you normally just crank em up to max. 35 seems a long way from 52 (which is specifies as cold psi right on the tire so I figure the max is even a bit more)

jfont

thanks ill try that. I did fill them while they were really hot though so I imagine its gone down sitting. I will have to check my owners manual for the tire pressure on the fz6r. Car tires you normally just crank em up to max. 35 seems a long way from 52 (which is specifies as cold psi right on the tire so I figure the max is even a bit more)
Yea probably, I've been neglecting my car tires and they got pretty low lol. Good thing I needed new tires anyway because of dryrot. The tread wear is severely uneven from edges to middle.

Detrich

Is it possible that those tires were hyper-inflated and then running in extreme heat?

Definitely looks weird.

adamo3957

the reason for that large variable is so the tyre doesn't tear when people do silly things like this....

You fill your tyre to 50 psi on a 15C day, next day it's 30C your tyre is now at 51.5 psi (approx) your go for a fast ride, your tyre is now between 53.5-57.5 depending on how hard/fast you ride. Add a pillion and some gear for a weekend away, your now potentially running up to 65psi in that tyre.

Put the tyre at the recommended unless your at the track and know what your doing. I know guys that run 26 psi in the front 28 psi at the back on race bikes. 5 psi takes 3 seconds off the circuit they use...

Riccochet

My bike calls for 33 in front and 36 in rear. If riding two up 36 in front and 42 in rear. These are cold pressures.

Check your pressure before every ride.

Griff88

I run the 36 42 as I'm quite a large guy and sometimes take the wife with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk