What about a projector project

Y

yellowfz

99vengeur - excellent job! I hope you don't mind but I used your one pic to make a "mock" image of another idea that'd be cool for someone to try (not sure if I have the technical experience...). I did it in grayscale to allow the image to blend together more.. but yeah, it's a tacky job (sorry! lol).

I'm actually a fan of the dual light concept (Ducati 999r for example), so I would suggest that the lights would be ~1 inch recessed into the front, so technically the top one would be a little further in than the bottom.

Also I guess one would be hi and one would be low - that'd make sense to me.

Well, yeah.. what do you guys think?
Can you do one with them side by side ?
Don't know , stacked looks weird . :eek:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I actually mocked up all sorts of arrangements, including layouts and playing with various size projectors. I just did the retrofit to see if it would work and give others the opportunity to try it themselves without having to do any fiberglass work. I would like to do one in fiberglass at some point down the road, but I have been so freaking busy that I haven't even been able to give a full review and how-to on here yet.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
99vengeur,
if I am not mistaken, I didn't read your final conclusion:

Is the Xennon projector retro fit headlight better than the stock one on the road or it is not? How about the headlight output ON the road?
I didn't mean anything about fancy look, angel eye, etc. bullshit (according to me), just the visual output on the road lane.

Thanks and regards for your work!
Ok, since I'm in the thread, I'll give a quick review of the projector.

They are brighter than the stock headlights, for sure! They also cover a greater area of roadway than the stock headlight. It has a really nice blue tint to the light due to the angel eye and the 6000K bulb, but it's not obnoxiously blue like some rice burner cars. The cutoff line is razor crisp! But that is also a negative to this setup. Since the cutoff line is so sharp, you have lots of light in front of you, but then it ends abruptly, unlike the stock headlight that gradually fades to darkness. Additionally, when going around curves, the line moves with the bike, so you lose illumination into the curve. I think this can be remedied by adjusting the cutoff line higher. I have yet to have anyone flash their brights at me, so I think there is some room to play before I get it too high. Another fix would be to try and fab a gyroscopic cradle that would allow the projector to remain level when the bike is leaned over. I have yet to come up with any designs for this.

Cliff notes: Projectors are brighter, cover more area, look awesome, but the cutoff line may be "too" sharp.

:thumbup:

Last edited:
Y

yellowfz

Ok, since I'm in the thread, I'll give a quick review of the projector.

They are brighter than the stock headlights, for sure! They also cover a greater area of roadway than the stock headlight. It has a really nice blue tint to the light due to the angel eye and the 6000K bulb, but it's not obnoxiously blue like some rice burner cars. The cutoff line is razor crisp! But that is also a negative to this setup. Since the cutoff line is so sharp, you have lots of light in front of you, but then it ends abruptly, unlike the stock headlight that gradually fades to darkness. Additionally, when going around curves, the line moves with the bike, so you lose illumination into the curve. I think this can be remedied by adjusting the cutoff line higher. I have yet to have anyone flash their brights at me, so I think there is some room to play before I get it too high. Another fix would be to try and fab a gyroscopic cradle that would allow the projector to remain level when the bike is leaned over. I have yet to come up with any designs for this.

Cliff notes: Projectors are brighter, cover more area, look awesome, but the cutoff line may be "too" sharp.

:thumbup:
Thanks for the latest report .
Can a reflector be used to make the light at the cut off point emit a better scatter of light ?

Roaddawg

I was thinking it looks more like the offspring of a Storm Trooper and a Decepticon. Either way, too robotic for me. But, nice concept.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the latest report .
Can a reflector be used to make the light at the cut off point emit a better scatter of light ?
I don't believe so. I have the stock reflector in the housing still, and it doesn't seem to do any good. The whole premise of the projector is to have a more directed and focused light pattern, so using a reflector to scatter the light kinda defeats the purpose.

On a side note, I like the mock-ups and had considered something along those lines initially. I think you could add some LED's to fill up the blank space, or even get bigger projectors to make things seem congruent.

Y

yellowfz

Ok, here are some of the night pics that I promised. Things to keep in mind are: 1)that I was sitting in my sloped driveway, 2)I was less than 20 feet from the garage door, and 3)the light needs adjusted BADLY!

As it sits now, the light points way too high. Hopefully I will be able to bring the light down with the housing adjuster knobby-things.

Low beam

High beam

What exactly cause the straight line cut off ? Is the Projector bulb hooded ?
Or is it the original mounting reflector ?
You would think the bulb would emit a nice round beam .

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
It has to do with the projector itself. It has an area at the top that prevents the light from shooting straight into the air. You can kinda see it in some of the pics. It's the dark area at the top of the projector.

Y

yellowfz

If you inverted and had the blackout on bottom does that make a difference ?
I saw the spot and thought it was a hood , that is why I asked , hmm weird .
Sorry for all the questions just thinking about doing this but the cutoff is a showstopper .

Y

yellowfz

the cutoff is there to keep you from totally blinding oncoming traffic. why would you not want it?
You did read what he said about the corners right ?
Just thought if the cutoff was facing to the ground and not the air , why would you blind oncoming traffic ?
Think maybe it is the intended application ? Like car not motorcycle or a particular car ?

Roaddawg

You did read what he said about the corners right ?
Just thought if the cutoff was facing to the ground and not the air , why would you blind oncoming traffic ?
Think maybe it is the intended application ? Like car not motorcycle or a particular car ?
What about taking a dremel tool to it and just shave the hood back a little until you get the light output you want? Like a little off the edges so the corners get some light spray?

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think that would be possible. This "hood" that generates the cutoff line is like a non-transparent paint on the inside of the projector lens.

Roaddawg

I don't think that would be possible. This "hood" that generates the cutoff line is like a non-transparent paint on the inside of the projector lens.
Gotcha ya. Couldn't quite tell from the pics. I was imagining like those old cars with the chrome visor over the headlight.