Went to a Triumph Demo Event

Sage

Well this past weekend on Sept 16-17, MotoEuropa STL had a Triumph demo event. I went down on Saturday and got to test out a 2011 Black (white pictured) Speed Triple and a 2011 Black Street Triple R and all I can say is WOW!!:eek:!!

I got there after a 2.5 hour drive to the dealer which was raining for about the first 2 hours. I was getting scared that I would either have to ride these machines in the rain or that they postponed it until the showers cleared, but within 10 miles of the dealer, the sun was shining and the roads were dry. As soon as I arrived, I changed into all my gear and instantly walked up and asked to what I needed to do to ride (I've never been to a demo event). I signed off on the waiver that declared that it's not their fault if I die and if I do anything illegal with the bike that I suffer the consequences and signed up to ride a Speed Triple first.

After the safety briefing and explanation of The Route everyone hopped on their choice of bike and away we went. The S3 has just a surge of power throughout the RPMs and was quite a comfortable ride on the interstate and back in town. There were no annoying vibrations at certain speeds or any kind of lag if I needed to pass someone in a hurry, this bike just felt like it was ready for whatever lied ahead. Due to the rules I wasn't able to open it up too much, but whenever I did a little take off on the highway or after we took a turn to catch up to the group the throttle response was quick and crisp… it just felt amazing the whole way back to the dealer.

The Street Triple R was the 2nd bike I chose to test as a suggestion from the owner of the dealership, and boy am I happy I did! This bike, although having a smaller engine than the S3, felt just as powerful and was able to use it's power beautifully. As I entered the interstate and having a bit more freedom from the last ride with the higher pace we were taking, I cranked the throttle a bit just to get into traffic and felt the front wheel lift from the sheer torque of the 675 engine. The bike did great on the interstate, and phenomenal in town. It just felt like a small version of the S3, which it pretty much is.

Both bike were very nimble, I was able to throw them around very easily to avoid obstacles and others around me, but I at all times felt planted to the ground and never had a feeling that I was going to fall over from maneuvering about. The lack of any type of fairing surprisingly wasn't bothersome. On the Speed Triple I only was about to get up to about 60, but at that speed I didn't really feel much wind buffeting hindering my riding comfort and such, same with the Street Triple, which I got to about 75 on. The ergonomics are about the same, maybe even more comfortable for me than the 6R, I felt slightly less hunched in a sport position, even if by a few degrees. At about 5'10" and maybe a 30"-32" inseam, on the S3 I was about half footed, while on the Speed Triple I was flatfoot with my knees slightly bent. All in all I think both of them are excellent bikes and I would recommend them for anybody to try to experience them.

I think I have found my next set of wheels

Oh and the Speed Triple (White bike, I had a black one.) I rode didn't have the little windscreen ;)

EDIT: Sorry if this is very spacey and stuff, wrote this every few hours while doing homework. yay for non-continuous thoughts! And bold words are links!

Attachments

Last edited:

MrGti

One of these two bikes will be my next bike. I miss the demo event by my house because I had a wedding to go to that day:( I hope to ride one next year. I might just have to try and get a test ride then just get one.

cavcuz05

it is a pretty sick looking bike

bmw675

I went to Motoeuropa before I bought mine. That is one awesome dealership. Loved the museum and restuarant in the back as well.

I'm glad they didn't have one for me to ride when I was down there.:confused: It's not exactly in the best of areas. But if they are doing an event with multiple bikes, it wouldn't be too bad.

Glad you enjoyed it. :thumbup:

Sage

I went to Motoeuropa before I bought mine. That is one awesome dealership. Loved the museum and restuarant in the back as well.

I'm glad they didn't have one for me to ride when I was down there.:confused: It's not exactly in the best of areas. But if they are doing an event with multiple bikes, it wouldn't be too bad.

Glad you enjoyed it. :thumbup:
I agree, the dealer is just amazing. I ate in the restaurant between rides and checked out some of the bikes hanging on the wall. It was really interesting.

I'm assuming your are saying in a bad part of town kinda thing, and yea it and the Fox theatre are in a sorta shady area, but at least it was on the edge of SLU's campus it seemed like. And to me it's not as bad as where Donnelson is located :\

bmw675

I agree, the dealer is just amazing. I ate in the restaurant between rides and checked out some of the bikes hanging on the wall. It was really interesting.

I'm assuming your are saying in a bad part of town kinda thing, and yea it and the Fox theatre are in a sorta shady area, but at least it was on the edge of SLU's campus it seemed like. And to me it's not as bad as where Donnelson is located :\
your thoughts are right on the money with everything above. :thumbup:

I've been in Donnelsons twice and motoeuroa once, and hands down, had a better feeling at motoeuropa. The guy i was talking to, Mark, was extremely nice and not a 'typical' salesman.

Sage

your thoughts are right on the money with everything above. :thumbup:

I've been in Donnelsons twice and motoeuroa once, and hands down, had a better feeling at motoeuropa. The guy i was talking to, Mark, was extremely nice and not a 'typical' salesman.
I think the manager/owner's name might have been mark, but I'm not positive. He was actually the one that convinced me to try the Street Triple over the Daytona, and I'm glad I listened to him. He knew what he was talking about too and knew the bikes and had experience riding all of them, which is a whole lot more than most people that work at the dealers lol

jocampo

Sage,

Have you ride a Monster 696? Your measures are similar to mine. I would like to know your impressions or how would you compare the Ducati to Street Triple, in comfort and handling...

Sage

Sage,

Have you ride a Monster 696? Your measures are similar to mine. I would like to know your impressions or how would you compare the Ducati to Street Triple, in comfort and handling...
Sadly I've only sat on a 696. Comfort wise it was similar to me, but that can't really be determined that well w/o riding it

Sage

I need to do another event or see if the dealer has demo's. I'm more interested in the speed triple, but I loved both bikes when I tried them in STL, the street had more than enough power for anything you could ask for in town and at quick highway speeds, but the speed triple kept a bit of a lower rev at high gear which would be better for longer trips which is what I do most of the time if I don't stay around town.

Mountain Man

I am the proud owner of a new 2012 Street Triple-R and love it. The best handling bike I have ever ridden. The FZ6R was a excellent beginner bike but I outgrew it in a little over a year. It will be a long time before I outgrow the Triumph. I ride "The Snake" at Shady Valley, TN several times a week. Look it up!

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

BoneJj

I find this thread very interesting.... lots to contemplate.

via mobile, crazy...

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

jocampo

This is a really hard decision.

I do like the fz6r, so far, no mechanical issues at all. But I outgrew it too fast.

It is also indisputable that I felt for the Street Triple and Monster's look. I like those bike a lot.

Sage

This is a really hard decision.

I do like the fz6r, so far, no mechanical issues at all. But I outgrew it too fast.

It is also indisputable that I felt for the Street Triple and Monster's look. I like those bike a lot.
I agree, my 6R has had no issues at all owning it and putting 10500 miles on it, I too just feel like I need something different and a little more umph, and I've always been a fan of naked bikes and I just fell in love with the triple engine triumph makes :drool: