Videos:How to change front/rear sprockets and chain

jay

Hi guys.. i was scrubbing the web for some videos on changing front and rear sprockets and came accross this amazing site.. i think it is must for our forum as this will help us do one of the most basic maintenence work ourself and of course sprocket mods too.. i am sure many of us will find this very informative and detailed :)

Driven 520 Chain & Sprocket Kits for Honda from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Roaddawg

So, I put on a new chain today since my stock one had almost 24K miles on it and I could not keep it adjusted properly. I didn't realize how worn out/loose it was. There was tight spots and loose spots, so when I would ride, I could feel the bike kind of lurching. It definitely wasn't cruising very smoothly. But, after putting on the new chain....it's soooo much better now. I was surprised how much better it was.

Anyways, I didn't do a "how-to", because the videos above were excellent. The only differences for me was, #1- I didn't change the sprockets. I put a +1 on the front a little while ago so it was good, and I inspected the back and it looked good. (I don't ride it too hard because its mostly commute miles). and #2 - I bought the Harbor Freight chain breaker tool for $15. It worked just fine. Watch the video on Youtube where the guy explains how to use it (someone posted that on the forum too) and it works great.

I bought an Orbit 520, 120 link o-ring chain from the Cycle Gear store for $99. It took about 2 minutes to pop out the old rivets. I did use my angle grinder and grind off the heads before popping them off. I then took a piece of wire and ran it through the now open link of the old chain and tied it to the link of the new chain. Then, with the help of my son, he rotated the rear wheel as I feed the new chain through onto the front sprocket. I then put on the master link and crushed the rivets per the videos. Took it for a test run and was wondering why I hadn't done this sooner.

If you have any questions, PM me and I'll help you out.

Heineken

Elite Member

Roaddawg

oops! No. I thought I counted 120 links....But, I noticed that after I installed it and tightened it to length, that my adjustment brackets were out pretty far...about to the second to last 'tick' mark. I still have room to adjust and its at specs right now. I asked on here a few days ago about chain links, but nobody responded...so I assumed it must be 120 link.

Anyways...it test rode fine. We'll have to see after it stretches some. I may have to get a new master link and take out a link or two later. No big deal I guess.

I know I could have found one a little cheaper, but I'm on vacation right now and have to go back to work on Monday (after three weeks off) and I needed to get a new chain on for my lovely hour plus SF commute....With gas at $4.25 a gallon right now, I figured I needed to drop the cash and get the chain on now.

Last edited:

Heineken

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

e.blackadder

To replace the front sprocket (to go +1) do you have to loosen up the rear wheel, or is there enough play in the chain that you can just work one sprocket out and the new one in?

I'm being lazy here.

JonKerr

Elite Member

ChUcK

I just installed the +1 two days ago, and did not have to break the chain. I pushed the rear as far as it would go, removed the front sprocket/chain guide/clutch mechanism, and slid all three back on no problem. 800 miles on the bike, so all is still relatively new.

JonKerr

Elite Member

nucmedman63

I just got the +1 front but wouldn't you know it I don't have a socket big enough. HELP WHAT SIZE IS THE FRONT SPROCKET NUT?

jay

I just got the +1 front but wouldn't you know it I don't have a socket big enough. HELP WHAT SIZE IS THE FRONT SPROCKET NUT?
I bought a universal socket from Harbor Freight as i did not knew exact nut size..! check out below link to their site: 1/2" Drive Universal Socket

also do you rself a favor, buy a breaker bar if you don't have one.. make life much better :) i bought a 24" breaker bar. Universal socket was a good choice for me as rear axle nut is also bigger than the sockets i have in my kit.

GoGreen09

Just changed my sprockets (stock sizes) and chain with the help of the FZ6R community. Could've gotten away with doing it in 2 hours, but I ended up cleaning the nooks and crannies. Plus it took me some time to figure out the chain riveting tool. I found a kit at Cycle Gear for $29.99 on sale vs the +$100 DID kit.

Here's the YouTube vid that helped me figure out how to use it:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfwECwz8r6I]YouTube - Sprocket and Chain Installation on a 07/08 Kawasaki ZX6R Part 3/4 Front sprocket and chain riveting[/ame]

Although cheap, it did the job! BTW, I installed stock sprocket sizes coz I just couldn't decide which way to go; more acceleration or more top speed. DID520 Xring chain as an upgrade though.

Roaddawg

I just got the Cycle Gear ad in the mail and it had 20% off new chains and that tool for $29.99 instead of $89.99....figures, since I just put a new chain on a few weeks ago!