Valve Shim OD

Half-Click Up

Hey guys,

Getting ready to turn 56,000 miles and am gonna finally go ahead and perform the bike's first valve adjustment. Have a couple seconds of clatter on startup, too, which according to various R6 vids on YouTube, likely points to a stretched timing chain and possibly worn out chain tensioner.

With that being said, I plan to change timing chain, cam sprockets, chain tensioner, and adjust the valves.
QUESTION: Any idea what the OD of the valve shims are? I'm guessing it's 7.48 like most other Japanese inline fours?

Thanks!

milepig

Hey guys,

Getting ready to turn 56,000 miles and am gonna finally go ahead and perform the bike's first valve adjustment. Have a couple seconds of clatter on startup, too, which according to various R6 vids on YouTube, likely points to a stretched timing chain and possibly worn out chain tensioner.

With that being said, I plan to change timing chain, cam sprockets, chain tensioner, and adjust the valves.
QUESTION: Any idea what the OD of the valve shims are? I'm guessing it's 7.48 like most other Japanese inline fours?

Thanks!
Howdy Half-click!

Would you mind posting your check results? My wife's 6r has 65,000+ miles with no check, just kind of curious.

Thanks, John

Half-Click Up

Howdy Half-click!

Would you mind posting your check results? My wife's 6r has 65,000+ miles with no check, just kind of curious.

Thanks, John
Yes Sir, I most certainly will. It'll be a little while for me to piece together all the stuff... looking at like $280 to get the shims, sprockets, chain, gaskets, etc.
But, once I knock it out I'll post up the results.

Half-Click Up

Howdy Half-click!

Thanks, John
John,

I apologize for the extended delay, but here is a pic of my clearance documentation (58,000 miles):

IMG_2016.JPG

Seven of sixteen valves were out of spec (they're highlighted). They're not terribly far off, but I believe the fact that it's nearly HALF of them may explain my cold idle issues. My plan is to shim those seven to the "half-way" point of the spec range.

milepig

John,

I apologize for the extended delay, but here is a pic of my clearance documentation (58,000 miles):

View attachment 41602

Seven of sixteen valves were out of spec (they're highlighted). They're not terribly far off, but I believe the fact that it's nearly HALF of them may explain my cold idle issues. My plan is to shim those seven to the "half-way" point of the spec range.
Thanks for that Half-click! Be interested to hear how the shimming goes as well. Might just attempt this myself.

John

Half-Click Up

I'm looking forward to your rebuild video :) I have to do my re-valving this off-season.
I filmed half of it today. Tomorrow the cams come out. It's SOOOO FRIKKIN' HOT here dude. I damn near fell out a couple times, so it's making it take longer to complete this project. I'm having to stop every couple hours to rehydrate and cool off inside for a bit. It's also a challenge to film the process. When I film a tutorial, it takes double the time to complete the task cuz of constant camera and angle setups.

It'll be a good one, though... I don't believe there is a single video tutorial out there for the FZ6R valve adjustment, not to mention I'm swapping the cam sprockets and timing chain, too!