USB port modification

khasfz6r11

Has anyone added a USB port to their bike?
If so any suggestions on which product and where you connected would be cool.
Thanks!!

blkbrd

Elite Member

latony007

i do, get the one that attached to the batter tender cable. If you dont have a batter tender cable get one :)
i have mine from the battery to under the rear seat so when i am riding i just pop off the rear, attach my phone to the charger and leave it under the seat as i am riding and still get everything in my bluetooth helmet. Then when i get home i just take off the little end piece and plug in the tender.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Charger/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397766707&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+usb"]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0158 Black Quick Disconnect Plug with USB Charger: Automotive[/ame]

this is the one i got
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SAE-USB-Adapter-Motorcycle-Charger/dp/B007VFFQRE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1397766719&sr=8-5&keywords=battery+tender+usb"]Amazon.com: SAE to USB Adapter - Motorcycle Cell Phone Charger: Cell Phones & Accessories[/ame]

khasfz6r11

This is a great idea, thank you for the great advice. I am also going to be doing some long distance travel. When I do that I will just run the charging wire to my tank bag so I can still check GPS visually.
I just purchased a Bluetooth helmet, haven't even gone for a ride with it yet. Seems like it works fantastic!

khasfz6r11

I haven't put a USB port on the bike, but I hard-wired a 12V outlet to it. I figured it would be more useful (you can buy an adapter to USB). I even use it to power a 12V air pump, to fill an air mattress while camping with the bike. I just keep it under the seat.
How did you set up the high beam garage door opener??

Bert-Aus

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

latony007

This is a great idea, thank you for the great advice. I am also going to be doing some long distance travel. When I do that I will just run the charging wire to my tank bag so I can still check GPS visually.
I just purchased a Bluetooth helmet, haven't even gone for a ride with it yet. Seems like it works fantastic!
On my cruiser I just put the cord straight into my saddle bags so I just throw my phone or whatever else I want to charge in the bags, plug in and go.

I love my BT helmet, especially the GPS coming right to your ear, TURN RIGHT in 300 feet you moron lol. Plus the music is great and if you ride with any buddies the bike to bike is sooo helpful. I got a blinc helmet because Blinc was in several brands of helmet so though it would help me connect to more people

khasfz6r11

Blinc

I got the Blinc as well in the O'Neal Commander. Seems to work really well in all the scenarios that I bought it for!

blkbrd

Elite Member

khasfz6r11

I used one of the remotes that came with my garage door opener. It's now a permanent part of the motorcycle. I opened it up and found the two contacts that showed continuity when I pressed the button. Then I soldered these contacts to a SPDT relay on terminals 30 and 87. I found the high beam switch wire in front of the gas tank, to the right of the steering head (yellow if I recall). Soldered terminal 85 of the relay to that wire and termnial 86 to ground.

Flick high beam, garage door opens!!!
This is so cool! I am definitely going to try this!!

latony007

I got the Blinc as well in the O'Neal Commander. Seems to work really well in all the scenarios that I bought it for!
You like your Oneil? I am looking at the fastrack ii I might get. I like the "blinc" in that I have currently 3 different brands of helmets and they all connect together with helmet to helmet.

khasfz6r11

You like your Oneil? I am looking at the fastrack ii I might get. I like the "blinc" in that I have currently 3 different brands of helmets and they all connect together with helmet to helmet.
I love my Commander with Blinc, works very well even at highway speed I can hear everything perfectly!
Very reasonable price for the features. Tinted flip down visor is very smooth and easy to operate as well.

latony007

I love my Commander with Blinc, works very well even at highway speed I can hear everything perfectly!
Very reasonable price for the features. Tinted flip down visor is very smooth and easy to operate as well.
i will have to check into them, the fastrack is down to 150$, some guy was selling the oneal tirades with blinc 3 and FM radio for $100 but said the display on the blinc (guess they added a small LED) did not work. Jafrum has some new Rebel Hold with blinc and drop down visor for like $110 but they have not had any in stock despite the fact it says new.

J

justBlue

What is a "Battery Tender"? I bought Shkciglightoutlet Motorcycle 12v USB Cigarette Lighter Power Port Integration Outlet Socket
by SharkMotorcycleAudio on Amazon. Is this safe? need Battery tender for this??

Thanks!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

latony007

What is a "Battery Tender"? I bought Shkciglightoutlet Motorcycle 12v USB Cigarette Lighter Power Port Integration Outlet Socket
by SharkMotorcycleAudio on Amazon. Is this safe? need Battery tender for this??

Thanks!
if you dont have one i recomend it. Keeps your battery at peak charge all the time. You hook a wire to your battery and place the end under your seat. You can then connect the tender to it, or a phone charger or any other 12 volt item to that cord.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398888801&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+jr"]Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotive[/ame].

blkbrd

Elite Member