Trip planned for this May/June

Jay S.

Okay, it's still 4 months away but I'm so excited about it that I've already planned my route. Every year I do a multi day trip (thanks to a super-cool wife). However, this year we have plans for a Disney World vacation so I thought my trip this year was not going to happen. We are stopping in Mobile, Alabama to pick up our niece on the way to Disney. My wife had the brilliant idea for me to ride to her sister's house on the bike and leave it there while we are at Disney and then ride it back home on the way back. Gosh I love that chick. It will be 1700 miles round trip for the ride.

What makes this trip so awesome to me is that it will be my first trip on my FZ6R. I've done all my previous trips on cruisers (Vulcan and Shadow) and I bought my FZ6R with the specific intent of having a comfortable mid-size sport-tourer. Cruisers are not as comfy as some may think...just sayin'.

Summer 2012 I have a 4000 mile trip planned so this trip will help me find/make any adjustments I need to the FZ6R before 2012. For this trip I'm going with the stock seat and an Airhawk, OEM bubble windshield, Crampbuster and soft saddlebags/tailbag/tankbag. If I need to make additions for 2012, this trip should help me decide what is needed. It will be 2 days to Mobile, a week in Disney and then 2 days back to Abilene. I'm taking different routes both ways and as little interstate time as possible.

I'm way ahead of schedule, but excited nonetheless. I feel like a 12 year old kid with a new toy. I just finished the entire break-in on my FZ6R (1000 miles). Good times. I'll post pics this summer...can't wait.

:D

Last edited:
Hey Jay I will look for you when you pass through New Orleans! LOL I Live 10 mins outside the city. Sounds like a way cool and fun trip. Just be careful.

First off, what a cool wife.. ;) have fun on the trip... The most miles I put up on one day was around 400... Let's just say my @ss was ya hurt'n! lol... 4000 mile trip will be interesting... again have fun :)

Hey Jay I will look for you when you pass through New Orleans! LOL I Live 10 mins outside the city. Sounds like a way cool and fun trip. Just be careful.

I went to a conference last year in NO and fell in love with that place. My wife and I have actually considered moving there after life in the Air Force. She is from Mobile and has been there many times as a kid.

I'll wave when I ride through!

:Sport:

First off, what a cool wife.. ;) have fun on the trip... The most miles I put up on one day was around 400... Let's just say my @ss was ya hurt'n! lol... 4000 mile trip will be interesting... again have fun :)

She is pretty dang cool, even if she has no intent of riding one of these trips with me. The longest day I've ever ridden was 800 miles and I was pretty sore that night. Thankfully the hotel had a hot tub and some alcohol in the room. Haha! My butt was never the same after that day. Now I shoot for around 400-500 a day. On the 4000 mile trip to Seattle next year I'm going to shoot for 600-700 a day so I can make each way in 3 days. We will see. I'll add in some extra days so I don't have to push too hard if my body (butt) is not up to the challenge.

:thumbup:

New Orleans

:iconbeer:
I went to a conference last year in NO and fell in love with that place. My wife and I have actually considered moving there after life in the Air Force. She is from Mobile and has been there many times as a kid.

I'll wave when I ride through!

:Sport:

It is a wonderful place but in the summer time it gets pretty nasty as far as the weather is concerned cause it is HOT!

Just found out, a couple of girls/guys from my riding group are considering a VA to IN trip for the Indy motogp race... an "extended weekend" ride, with some camping along the way... I was talking with my wife last year when I went for my 20yr reunion in OH, 'cause I found out the race was the very next weekend (couldn't hang around for a week)... and she said "have fun!" :D

Still early, but it's always good to plan these things way in advance...

Git r dun!!! I always plan my overnight trips way out in advance. I'm not sure it's because I need to, or I just get so dang anxious waiting for the date to come. I've never camped on a trip, I really like a hotel with a hot tub to rest my rear end every night. Call me lazy. Now hug your wife and tell her she is awesome.

Well when you pass by Shreveport honk to me and Robert.

I was considering staying in Shreveport on the way there even though it is a bit north of my route, I'll make that decision as the trip gets closer. Barksdale AFB is there so I can stay on base really cheap. That's where my family and I stay every time we drive to Alabama to visit her family so they will be staying there since they are driving the same days I'm riding.

I'll honk!

:)

Guess my trip is off for "work purposes." I'm thinking about riding to Galveston on a weekend to make up for it.

;)

How the hell do you guys PRE plan a trip? I get home and I look at a map for all of about a few minutes. Pick a spot, pack, and off I go.

How the hell do you guys PRE plan a trip? I get home and I look at a map for all of about a few minutes. Pick a spot, pack, and off I go.

I plan just for the sake of how many days I want the trip to be. Next summer a friend and I are riding from Texas to Washington state and both are taking 3weeks off to do it. That trip will be planned one day at a time, stopping when we feel like it. Otherwise the wife likes to know when and where I'll be. I agree, the unplanned trips are awesome. Even a day trip unplanned is awesome!

Back